The Upside - Notre Dame I | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Notre Dame I

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It was a thrilling game, basketball like it oughta be. Up and down the court. Defense was a bout trying to stay between your man and the basket. Move your feet and move your hands! No WWF or MMA. Each team made 15 three pointers. It’s too bad we lost but it was a great game to watch. If we could have afforded to lose it, it would have been fun.

- A lot of players had very productive games, at least in the box score, which is mostly about offense. Buddy Boeheim was 7 for 12 from three and scored 23 points. He’s now averaging 15.8 per game.

- Elijah Hughes didn’t have a great game, (he did have a great 3:20 late in the first half). But great players get their numbers anyway: 19 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals. Those are almost exactly his game averages.

- Joe Girard went off for 20 points, including 4 three pointers. The stat that hurts is that he was 4 for 4 from the line. Not only would he like to have been 5 for 5 but if we’d maintained our lead he probably would have wound up about 8 for 8 or maybe 10 for 10.

- Marek Dolezaj, the Slovak Army Knife, scored 13 points, pulled down 10 rebounds into his slender arms, passed for 7 assists and blocked a shot.

- Quincy Guerrier played a productive 17 minutes, becoming our 5th double figure scorer with 10 points, grabbing 5 rebounds and blocking 3 shots. Imagine what stats he could produce once he really learns how to play the game. if we’d won, that banked three pointer that gave us the halftime lead would have been the subject of much good natured ribbing. But there isn’t much good nature after a loss.

- SU’s box score for this one has the +/- stat on it. Guerrier is +9, Howard Washington +10. The starters were all in the minus column.

- We would have beaten a lot of teams tonight. That's good because we've got to beat a lot of other teams before this season ends to have a chance to achieve our goals.

8-6 with 17+ to be done
LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last night Marek grabbed two rebounds and then dribbled all the way to our basket and had a lay up. Both times you could see he was going to go for it. He seemed to have at least two ND players loping along beside him who were unable to stop him from scoring. He has done this at least one other time, to my memory, which is faulty.

What enabled him to do this? (Although we lost, I think I may watch the game again because it was just so damn exciting, and maybe then I will have my answer.) Was it just that a hole opened up and he took it? I guess that this is why it is so important to REBOUND, eh?

Last night Marek grabbed two rebounds and then dribbled all the way to our basket and had a lay up. Both times you could see he was going to go for it. He seemed to have at least two ND players loping along beside him who were unable to stop him from scoring. He has done this at least one other time, to my memory, which is faulty.

What enabled him to do this? (Although we lost, I think I may watch the game again because it was just so damn exciting, and maybe then I will have my answer.) Was it just that a hole opened up and he took it? I guess that this is why it is so important to REBOUND, eh?

He's the one guy on the team who can rebound, dribble, pass and score, each at an above average level. And we have three other shooters the defense has to account for. I love it when he takes the ball down and iniates the break himself.

marek has gone coastal several times already this season. surprising other coaches haven't noticed and told their guys to pick him up midcourt when he's rolling . overall a solid performance by our guys .

I said during a previous thread the I would be happy if the team was entertaining, scoring 80ppg, win or lose. I didn't expect them to test if I really meant it. Would have been easier if the Bills had won in OT not lost. Only good thing was the Pats losing and just MAYBE indicating the end of the evil empire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom