The Upside- Notre Dame II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Notre Dame II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Suddenly we are 12-7, 5-3 in conference and have four conference road wins, two against tier 1 teams. And we only need 5 wins in 12 games to guarantee that ‘the streak’ continues.

- Our players are far from perfect but seem to be growing up before our eyes. We are a pretty good team right now and will get better. Meanwhile the rest of the league doesn’t look too intimidating.

- We are now 4-0 in league road games and three of those wins came against teams that beat us in the Dome.

- In a game of streaks, we always had an answer. Down 19-30, we scored 13 in a row. We had a 46-42 halftime lead, then opened the second half 11-2 to make it 57-44. They scored 7 in a row and we scored 7 in a row. They went on a 4-18 run and we responded with a 10-1 run to take back control of the game. then we survived a 6-12 finish by having three different guys make our last 8 free throws

- Notre Dame won the boards in the Dome, 36-39 and got off to a 3-8 start in this game. They rebounded 6 of our first 7 misses and half of their own 4 misses at that point. The rest of the game was 38-26 SU, with the Orange getting 13 of their 27 misses and 13 of 23 Irish misses. Every starter had 4-9 rebounds and Quincy Guerrier and Brycen Goodine had 7 more off the bench.

- Elijah Hughes was the star with 26 points. They couldn’t guard him one on one. They went to a zone which was more like a box and one with someone chasing Hughes wherever he went. There was lot of hand-checking and Prentice Hubb kept leaning into him when Eli tried to set up his shot with the dribble. The refs didn’t call it because there was no “collision”. But Hughes overcame that to make 4 of those last 8 free throws to salt the same away.

- Joe Girard’s line: 15 points, 9 rebounds (9- for our shortest player), 4 assists, 3 steals and 0 turnovers (0) plus two of those late free throws. He’s a freshman. He came be forgiven for launching that 30 foot air ball when we were trying to close it down.

- Bourama Sidibe had his best game since that legendary performance against Pittsburgh two years ago. He ran the court and scored, put some good moves in the paint on Mooney and Durham and hit all six of his shots for 12 points, He added 5 rebounds, a block and a steal and several loose balls and saves. This is much closer to the player we saw in his high school highlight film:
- Buddy Boeheim didn’t have a great game and got in very rare foul trouble in the first half, (he’s had 4 fouls in his last 5 games), but didn’t foul in the second half and took advantage of his new dribble-drive game to helps us take control of the game. He was 0 for 5 from outside but still scored 10 points and had 4 rebounds and 3 assists. He’s becoming a scorer, not just a shooter.

- Marek Dolezaj had 9 points 6 rebounds and 3 assists. He’s having fun roaming free in the middle of the defense. He showed some good, quick moves to the basket. I thought for a moment perhaps we could use him to foul out Mr. Mooney.

- Quincy Guerrier had a strong game off the bench with 9 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. I thought he’d made a big blunder with 35 seconds left when he took an inbounds pass and just held the ball until ND fouled him when he was easily the worst three point shooter on the floor. But I’ll bet he didn’t know that and on this occasion he was right as he made both of them.

- Brycen Goodine should continue wearing that mask, even after his nose heals up. He’s player better with it than without it. He had two strong rebounds to day and made his only shot a three pointer. In two games with the mask on, he’s played 9 minutes, scored 8 points and had 3 rebounds. And with him, I’ve included every Syracuse player who played in the “Upside”. I don’t recall ever doing that before.

12-7 with 12+ to be done

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Also, wanted to call out the zone tonight, especially the last 30 minutes. Very active,

Joe sure nailed those free throws, didn’t he, Steve? And when Guerrier was fouled I yelled “NOOOO!” And thought of you. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom