The Upside- Oakland | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Oakland

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We beat a good, if crippled team, ( Oakland’s Jalen Hayes speaks out, calls his NCAA-administered suspension ‘ridiculous’ ) with our most impressive performance of the season. We got off to a good start for once and built a 15 point halftime lead and never allowed the Horizon favorites to get within ten points after that.

- The best part of it was the worst part. After the great first half, our offense fell apart early in the second half. It was all drives to the basket and bank shot attempts. With 9:22 left, we’d scored 12 second half points on 5 for 13 shooting, (four of which were Chukwu dunks plus a Battle lay-up), and 4 turnovers. But our lead only dropped to those 10 points because this year we have a defense that can keep control of things even when the offense is misfiring. Last year we didn’t and we might have lost this game because of it.

- Chukwu was unbelievable. Is this the same guy who couldn’t play this game a couple of weeks ago? He was 6 for 6 from the field, 9and never hesitated to make his moves), scored 12 points, pulled down 11 rebounds made 2 steals and blocked 8 shots. He was the player of the game, even over Tyus Battle.

- Battle scored 25 points. He was 7 for 14 inside the arc, 2 for 3 outside of it and 5 for 6 from the line. He can score every way possible. He doesn’t do a lot else, at least that shows up in the box score: 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 blocks a steal but 3 turnovers. But scoring is not over-rated and Tyus could turn out to be our first 20ppg scorer since Hakim Warrick in 2004-05.

- Frank Howard continued to score with 18 points. He also had 6 assists and 2 steals. He and Battle look like quite a combination, both offensively and defensively.

- Oshae Brissett had a fine first half, making 5 of 6 shots and seemed he’s finally broken out of his slump. Then he was 0 for 5 in the second half. But he still wound up with 11 points and 9 rebounds and 3 steals to go with them. I’ll take that any night.

- Marek Dolezaj didn’t have the game he had against Texas Southern, 0 points, 5 fouls) but 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 3 blocks is a pretty good job of filling up the box score. For a guy in search of muscles, he seems to win an awful lot of those 50-50 balls.

4-0 with 27+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Was it just me or did they seem to be playing HORSE out there? Make two passes, and then go into the crush and try to make your shot. The good part was that they made a lot of turnaround J’s in the first half. That was fun to see! The hustle on this team was outstanding! Hardly anyone was at the game but those who were there showed their enjoyment.

Is this not going to be a team where we pass it around the perimeter?

Doesn’t do a lot else?

2 blocks (from a guard) most definitely shows up in the box score.

One was a 3 that he sent into the cheap seats a la Warrick.

“All he does is score” about a hoops player is almost as moronic as the classic line about Cris Carter,
“all he does is catch touchdowns”. :p

Not comparing their games at all because they aren't similar, but Brissett seems like Lawrence Moten so far in that I look at the box score at the end of the game and I'm like - he did what?? I didn't even think he was close to a double double last night until I saw the stats.

What sort of amazed me about Battle was in the first half, all his points but 3, came from inside the arc. Usually when somebody has a big half its a lot of 3's. Also when Oakland closed in the 2nd half after SU offense sputtered, it looked like Battle sort of said enough is enough and took control.

Doesn’t do a lot else?

2 blocks (from a guard) most definitely shows up in the box score.

One was a 3 that he sent into the cheap seats a la Warrick.

“All he does is score” about a hoops player is almost as moronic as the classic line about Cris Carter,
“all he does is catch touchdowns”. :p

0 rebounds from a 6-6 guard and 0 assists from any guard is zero. And the turnovers negate the blocks and steals. I think he's capable of more in those areas.

And I said "Scoring is not over-rated."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom