The Upside - Oakland | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Oakland

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We needed a win and we got one. Our remaining games through the end of January: North Florida, Niagara, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, and Clemson. Virginia is ranked #9. The other nine teams are all likely wins or “beatable”. We need to go at least 7-3, probably 8-2 over this stretch. I won’t take any wins in those games for granted.

- Our “big three”, (yes, coach, we have one), of Elijah Hughes, Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard came up big with 23, 14 and 20 points, respectively. Girard added 7 assists and a couple steals, a pretty good night for any point guard.

- Joe was 7 for 7 from the line. Both numbers are significant. He can get to the line and he’s almost automatic from there. He’s 32 for 33 on the season, 97.0%. That’s second in the country to Davide Moretti of Texas Tech, who is 38 for 39. I recall the GMAC days, where he was our closer, our Mariano Rivera. If we had a small lead in the final minute, all we had to do was inbound the ball to Gerry, he’d get fouls and make two free throws. Gerry was ‘only 88.9% for his career but was more like 98.9% in the final minute of games. I think Joe could be another “closer” of that caliber. Maybe we’ll play a close game and find out. (All of our games have been won or lost by double figures so far.)

- Bourama Sidibie still isn’t scoring but he had 13 rebounds 4 steals and a blocked shot, (he get more steals than any SU center I can recall). He also took a charge late in the game despite having 4 fouls.

- Marek Dolezaj didn’t score in the first half but wound up with 9 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and a block.

- We were +9 in turnovers, 7 to 16. I’d hate to think what would have happened if we were even.

- A guy who had never made a three pointer hit a 50 footer at the shot clock buzzer. Matt Park said several times that there was no doubt that we were going to win the game, even if we were playing poorly --and we won anyway!

6-5 with 20+ to be done
LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
QG didn't shoot a 3. That's a positive.

(Please note I kind of fell asleep for 5-10 minutes in the second half, so I may have missed him some stuff)

- We needed a win and we got one. Our remaining games through the end of January: North Florida, Niagara, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, and Clemson. Virginia is ranked #9. The other nine teams are all likely wins or “beatable”. We need to go at least 7-3, probably 8-2 over this stretch. I won’t take any wins in those games for granted.

- Our “big three”, (yes, coach, we have one), of Elijah Hughes, Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard came up big with 23, 14 and 20 points, respectively. Girard added 7 assists and a couple steals, a pretty good night for any point guard.

- Joe was 7 for 7 from the line. Both numbers are significant. He can get to the line and he’s almost automatic from there. He’s 32 for 33 on the season, 97.0%. That’s second in the country to Davide Moretti of Texas Tech, who is 38 for 39. I recall the GMAC days, where he was our closer, our Mariano Rivera. If we had a small lead in the final minute, all we had to do was inbound the ball to Gerry, he’d get fouls and make two free throws. Gerry was ‘only 88.9% for his career but was more like 98.9% in the final minute of games. I think Joe could be another “closer” of that caliber. Maybe we’ll play a close game and find out. (All of our games have been won or lost by double figures so far.)

- Bourama Sidibie still isn’t scoring but he had 13 rebounds 4 steals and a blocked shot, (he get more steals than any SU center I can recall). He also took a charge late in the game despite having 4 fouls.

- Marek Dolezaj didn’t score in the first half but wound up with 9 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and a block.

- We were +9 in turnovers, 7 to 16. I’d hate to think what would have happened if we were even.

- A guy who had never made a three pointer hit a 50 footer at the shot clock buzzer. Matt Park said several times that there was no doubt that we were going to win the game, even if we were playing poorly --and we won anyway!

6-5 with 20+ to be done
LET’S GO ORANGE!

In another thead, I joked that before seeing that thread, I was concerned you might have to cancel this one. That leads me to some questions that I am curious if anyone has ever interrogated you about:

1)Have you ever not done one of these threads for lack of material?
2)How long have you been doing these?
3)Do you mind when I am occasionally motivated enough to do my own write up and do a parody of your title with "The Backside"?(it's also a parody of the payside). I also parody the "My Take" thread with "My Give", so I wanted you to know it was nothing personal. If folks have not noticed, I tend to enjoy words.
4)Have your call in questions ever upset Boeheim? I have not listened to a show, so I don't know if anyone's do, for that matter.

Your effort is appreciated here, at least by me. Perspective can be quite important.

In another thead, I joked that before seeing that thread, I was concerned you might have to cancel this one. That leads me to some questions that I am curious if anyone has ever interrogated you about:

1)Have you ever not done one of these threads for lack of material?
2)How long have you been doing these?
3)Do you mind when I am occasionally motivated enough to do my own write up and do a parody of your title with "The Backside"?(it's also a parody of the payside). I also parody the "My Take" thread with "My Give", so I wanted you to know it was nothing personal. If folks have not noticed, I tend to enjoy words.
4)Have your call in questions ever upset Boeheim? I have not listened to a show, so I don't know if anyone's do, for that matter.

Your effort is appreciated here, at least by me. Perspective can be quite important.

1) No. There's always an Upside and always a Downside. I even did both when we won the national championship. it keeps me centered and lends credibility to both praise and criticism because I've acknowledged the other side.

2) Not sure. I remember I did my first "Why they'll Win/Why they'll Lose for the 1999 Michigan football game, (CTO was ready to banish me after reading the latter - before she also read the former.) "Updown" is the same idea so i suspect I started it about the same time.

3) No problem. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I think.

4) Jim's chewed me out a couple of times. On one early occasion he said I probably was the sort of guy who works in a gas station all day and then thinks he knows all about basketball. I responded that i was the sort of guy who tosses wadded up paper in a wastebasket all day in my cubicle - and thinks he knows all about basketball. that got a laugh and we've gotten along pretty well since. he still straightens me out on something from time to time but i don't mind that. If you're not straightened out, you walk funny. :confused:

2) Not sure. I remember I did my first "Why they'll Win/Why they'll Lose for the 1999 Michigan football game, (CTO was ready to banish me after reading the latter - before she also read the former.) "Updown" is the same idea so i suspect I started it about the same time.
4) Jim's chewed me out a couple of times. On one early occasion he said I probably was the sort of guy who works in a gas station all day and then thinks he knows all about basketball. I responded that i was the sort of guy who tosses wadded up paper in a wastebasket all day in my cubicle - and thinks he knows all about basketball. that got a laugh and we've gotten along pretty well since. he still straightens me out on something from time to time but i don't mind that. If you're not straightened out, you walk funny. :confused:

lol The thought of you banished makes me smile. It's like yelling at a bunny rabbit. You know, that gives me better hope for longevity and reaching legendary status someday, if I dont decide to retire from sports before then entirely, for psychological/spiritual purposes. For awhile I didn't think I'd survive this long on here.

I havent been on as often as I used to, I may start to look at your call in questions more. I didn't realize you ever managed to rile up JB. Is this show something that can be listened to out of area on some ESPN app? I think Bees helped me out with that for something before, but am not sure if it was this show. If so, I would like to listen if the board ever gets you to ask JB something that has a decent chance of riling him up. That 2nd bolded part was a classic, and I'm glad you got him to chuckle!

(Please note I kind of fell asleep for 5-10 minutes in the second half, so I may have missed him some stuff)
Yes you missed it. Previous to that shot they closed out on him and he took it to the rim. Even the announcer said that was a brain fart as scouting should say its not necessary. The next time he got the ball in the corner nobody was within 10 ft and he took the shot and missed baddly. A few minutes later he go the ball there again, unguarded, and he wisely passed the ball. He should never again get more than 15 ft from the basket much less beyond the arc!

Yes you missed it. Previous to that shot they closed out on him and he took it to the rim. Even the announcer said that was a brain fart as scouting should say its not necessary. The next time he got the ball in the corner nobody was within 10 ft and he took the shot and missed baddly. A few minutes later he go the ball there again, unguarded, and he wisely passed the ball. He should never again get more than 15 ft from the basket much less beyond the arc!
Damn. Stupid.

Well, I officially rescind my upside.

QG and MD missed successive threes and JB in his presser said that, by this time in the season, if you are shooting threes at 10% the idea should occur to to you that it's not a good idea, :mad:

lol The thought of you banished makes me smile. It's like yelling at a bunny rabbit. You know, that gives me better hope for longevity and reaching legendary status someday, if I dont decide to retire from sports before then entirely, for psychological/spiritual purposes. For awhile I didn't think I'd survive this long on here.

I havent been on as often as I used to, I may start to look at your call in questions more. I didn't realize you ever managed to rile up JB. Is this show something that can be listened to out of area on some ESPN app? I think Bees helped me out with that for something before, but am not sure if it was this show. If so, I would like to listen if the board ever gets you to ask JB something that has a decent chance of riling him up. That 2nd bolded part was a classic, and I'm glad you got him to chuckle!

Ask and you shall receive.

QG and MD missed successive threes and JB in his presser said that, by this time in the season, if you are shooting threes at 10% the idea should occur to to you that it's not a good idea, :mad:

Man, if we thought like that last year where would be now????

Buddy was at 20% this time last year!
Marek was at 25% entering last night!
Quincy at 12%!

Bombs away, guys!

Damn. Stupid.

Well, I officially rescind my upside.

The delusions of a young basketball player:
"...a better shooter than Oshae Brissett...my game has a little bit of Kevin Durrant..."

I had the good fortune of sitting in excellent seats last night. When SU was shooting free throws right before the charge, Oakland's coach was saying to the big guy "next time down, foul #34 out."

Smart play by Sidibe, pretty much sealed the win.

All true, but I thought it was an OK shot to take. And his form was very good.

Ball was never a threat to go through the hoop, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom