The Upside- Pittsburgh I | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Pittsburgh I

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I think everyone wondered what would happen in our next game: was the Duke game a fluke? Would we go back to the lousy offense, the uncertain defense, too many turnovers, missing free throws and lose a game that would basically negate what happened in Durham? Well, we did miss free throws and had too many turnovers. But in all other respects, we looked like the team we’d hoped this team could be. I think it was our best defensive game and we continued scoring well in a lower-paced game. I think we’re going to be OK.

- I just watched Duke beat Virginia. They had Cam Reddish, who missed our game but they did not have Tre Jones, who was injured early in our game and yet they handled the ball well against the Cavs and found ways to penetrate their defense for 73 points. They had only 8 turnovers and shot 24 for 37 on two point shots (65%). Reddish was 3 for 12 from the field and 1 for 6 from the arc and the Devils shot 2 for 14 from there. So they got their points the hard way. We don’t have Zion Williamson or R. J. Barrett but we can beat the Cavs, too. And don’t look now but at 4-1 we are in the race for the (mythical) ACC regular season title. If we can just stay in contention for that for a while, selection Sunday will be a breeze. We might even be ranked soon.

- If Duke had shot well from the arc, they could have defeated Virginia decisively. If we had hit our free throws, we would have blown out a good Pitt team that came into our game with the same record we had and were coming off a victory nearly as impressive as ours. We took control early, built up a 12 point lead, saw it melt to 1 and built it back up to 20 before holding off a run at the end that briefly got it to single digits but Pitt never caught us and we won by double-digits.

- I had a feeling that our defense would be effective against this team since they were known for aggressively driving to the basket and a well-played zone would force them to take too many jump shots. Pitt attempted 35 three point shots and only 30 two pointers. Coming into this game they’d taken 633 two pointers and only 329 three pointers. They made 11 treys but that’s only 31% and they were 11 for 30 on their two point shots, an abysmal 37%. We took 28 two pointers and 26 treys and shot 46% on each. We also blocked 10 shots and had 8 steals. Trey McGowens averages 14 points and Au'Diese Toney 10. They scored a total of 14 on 5 for 23 shooting. Pitt had 2 and 4. D – E – - E – N - S- E !

- Tyus Battle is playing at an All-American level. Today he had 22 points on 9 for 17 shooting, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks and a steal. On one of this blocks he proved his ranking as one of the Cuse’s greatest leapers, going way up to crush a shot with two hands. I thought he was Brissett, who is 6-8 and quite the leaper himself.

- Oshae didn’t dazzle but he filled up the stat sheet: 11 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 blocks.

- Frank Howard did the same with 10 points, 5 assists, no turnovers, 2 rebounds and 2 assists. His 4 for 4 at the foul line showed his teammates how to get it done.

- Marek Dolezaj was also a stat filler: 4 points 6 rebounds 5 assists 2 steals 2 blocks. He showed he could drive to the basket for his two buckets. On one he faked his way around the defender for a lay-up. He’s got every talent you’d want in a player. He just needs more muscles and more aggressive use of his talents.

- Buddy Boeheim had his best game, hitting 4 threes for 12 points. He seems finally to have his confidence back and could be an X factor in the remaining games.

- Elijah Hughes didn’t have a big game with 8 points but he hit the huge three early in the second half that ended Pitt’s 0-11 run and began SU’s 12-0 run that allowed us to keep control of the game.

- The fire under Pashcal Chukwu was still lit. He had 6 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks. Of course he was easily the tallest player on the court but he took advantage of that, which he has not often don this year. As with the team as a whole two good games in a row might be the start of a trend.

- We played 8 guys and I just mentioned something positive about 7 of them. That’s what it takes.

13-5 (4-1) and with 13+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Can I also add that I believe we have a squad with what appears to be some nice chemistry? Jalen was the only one who appeared to be upset about minutes. Everyone else is up cheering for teammates and really rooting for the team.

Can I also add that I believe we have a squad with what appears to be some nice chemistry? Jalen was the only one who appeared to be upset about minutes. Everyone else is up cheering for teammates and really rooting for the team.

Jalen's minutes the rest of the year will be interesting to watch. Next year we add Goodine and Girard and hopefully Washington will be back. I assume Battle will be gone. Spots will be open but there will be plenty of competition for them. Jalen will want to get the inside track.

Jalen's minutes the rest of the year will be interesting to watch. Next year we add Goodine and Girard and hopefully Washington will be back. I assume Battle will be gone. Spots will be open but there will be plenty of competition for them. Jalen will want to get the inside track.
Even JB says Girard is a good shooter but will need ball screens to get open. Jalen can take his man off the dribble. I’m not worried about him next year. He’ll get buckets. I’m excited about Goodine as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom