The Upside- Pittsburgh | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Pittsburgh

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We broke the damn losing streak, even if the performance was hardly encouraging. At least we’ve got something positive to build on.

- We cut down our turnovers to 10, with only 3 in the second half. Frank Howard had only one, with 5 steals.

- Howard and Tyus Battle again had a rough first half with only 12 points on 4 for 14 shooting and again rebounded from that in the second half with 21 points on 8 for 16 shooting.

- Oshae Brissett, after going 16 for 69 during the losing streak (27.1%), with 2 of 3 treys.

- I don’t know how much credit we get for it but we held Pittsburgh to 45 points and had 10 steals. We’re not likely to lose when we do that.

- I thought Jim’s post-game press conference was excellent, especially his point that a team is going to lose some confidence and feel pressure when they have a 4 game losing streak: that teams like Oakland , whom we easily handled were probably better than Pitt but we were undefeated and playing with confidence then. Now the team needs to use this game and the rest they will get in the next week to get some of that confidence back. If they can do that we’ll see a better Syracuse team than the one we have been seeing.

13-6 (2-4) with 12+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Another upside was that the TV announcers seemed much less biased against us than in some past ACC games. They even made a case for restoring JB's "vacated" wins.

Another upside was that the TV announcers seemed much less biased against us than in some past ACC games. They even made a case for restoring JB's "vacated" wins.

I watch the TV and listen to the radio but sometimes I turn on the TV sound to see what they are saying about a play. I caught Tim Brando talking about Matt Park, saying he's known "that young man" for about 20 years and what a fine person he is and that if you wanted a guided tour of Syracuse NY, Matt Park is your man. I think he's favorably disposed to both Matt and JB and the Syracuse program.

I remember being PO'd at Brando back in 1987 because he refused to vote for Donnie McPherson for the Heisman because the SU athletic department had not sent him personally a PR package on Donnie, just one for ESPN as a whole.

I may have to reassess.

I watch the TV and listen to the radio but sometimes I turn on the TV sound to see what they are saying about a play. I caught Tim Brando talking about Matt Park, saying he's known "that young man" for about 20 years and what a fine person he is and that if you wanted a guided tour of Syracuse NY, Matt Park is your man. I think he's favorably disposed to both Matt and JB and the Syracuse program.

I remember being PO'd at Brando back in 1987 because he refused to vote for Donnie McPherson for the Heisman because the SU athletic department had not sent him personally a PR package on Donnie, just one for ESPN as a whole.

I may have to reassess.
The color analyst, Mike Gminiski, also was positive about Syracuse.

I may have to reassess.

Brando, to me, is like a fine wine. Better with age. He was kinda punchy when he was younger.

I follow him on twitter now, seems like his kids growing up, and giving him grandkids, worked wonders for his demeanor.

Overly respectful of SU, so that helps.

I loved that. I am shocked at how many times an announcer will recite win totals and not even mention that JB's total is minus over 100 due to the dubious NCAA penalty.

I loved that. I am shocked at how many times an announcer will recite win totals and not even mention that JB's total is minus over 100 due to the dubious NCAA penalty.
Yep. I think it was Gminski who said they should reinstate the Ws, as the NCAA did with Paterno. Brando commented "How can you say those weren't wins? I know what I saw with my own eyes".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom