The Upside - Seattle | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Seattle

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We took command early with a 17-4 run and never gave up control of the game. Even when Seattle when crazy from three in the second half, we went on a 22-7 run to eliminate any doubt as to who was going to win the game.

- Any doubt that Joe Girard could play on this level is gone. And there’s not much doubt he can be a star. He shot 7 for 8 from the field, with 5 three pointers and was 5 for 5 from the foul line for 24 points. He had 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. But it was his style that dazzled. He may have had only two assists but one was a Sherman Douglas=-like alley opp. Coming down court, he didn’t just dribble the ball into the front court and initiate a play. At midcourt, he would be looking well into the frontcourt and snap a pass to someone open 20-30 feet away. He’s that guard we’ve been waiting for who wants to push it every chance he gets. Things are about to get exciting here again.

- Marek Dolezaj gets more confident and aggressive with every game. He’s the one guy out there who can do everything: dribble, pass, shoot, drive, rebound, make steals and block shots. He’s now using all of his skills. He scored 19 points, had only 2 rebounds but 4 assists and 3 steals. He was also 7 for 8 from the field but with a variety of moves and shots nobody else on the court had.

- Unless it’s Elijah Hughes. Hughes had 15 points 6 rebounds 4 assists and another one of his signature “Where did he come from?” blocks where he comes up behind someone, leaps over them and swats the ball away.

- Quincy Guerrier is beginning show why people considered him a “big get”. He’s focusing on the basket more, (a good thing, since he’s 0 for 6 from the arc this year). He’s even posting up- when did we last have a guy do that? He had 14 points and 7 rebounds in 17 minutes. Give me some more of that.

2-1 with 28+ to be done
LET’S GO ORANGE!

- Any doubt that Joe Girard could play on this level is gone. And there’s not much doubt he can be a star. He shot 7 for 8 from the field, with 5 three pointers and was 5 for 5 from the foul line for 24 points.

- Quincy Guerrier is beginning show why people considered him a “big get”. He’s focusing on the basket more, (a good thing, since he’s 0 for 6 from the arc this year). He’s even posting up- when did we last have a guy do that? He had 14 points and 7 rebounds in 17 minutes. Give me some more of that.

About Joe, I agree he looks like has has the potential to be a special player. I do suspect that some will disagree with the portion I highlighted though, and say the same thing as they did about Buddy. Some sentence about once we get to the ACC(possibly with some merit, too early for me to say). Either way, there have been plenty of players through the SU program for quite awhile who have not looked close to that impressive even against similar cupcakes, for sake of comparison.

About the second highlighted portion, the first part of it makes me happy, the following question, not so much. I miss having guys who post up. Not posting up is kind of like playing football with either a very limited running or passing attack, or bad special teams. It's a key element that's been far too limited, for far too long. Imagine the offense with a guy feared enough in the post to draw double teams and get his teammates open.

Last edited:
Agree Girard has IT and we haven't had a player like that in a long time playing lead guard... Maybe Scoop?

Love the diversity to the offense that Marek is adding. We can score in a lot of ways... doesn't just have to be on three pointers. A lot of that is due to Marek's passing.

This team is explosive... When the team is hitting their shots like we did in the first half we are going to have some big runs. The fun part is that I don't think that the shooting is a mirage... these dudes can shoot.

Guerrier finally started showing his potential. Big dude who can play inside out and has some explosion. He is going to need to be able to give us 20 to 30 mpg. Love his imaginary high fives after every FT... dunno why but it cracks me up. Is having only one going for a board on the FTs a new thing? It's clearly not going to stop Guerrier from his post FT routine of high fives... lol.

This is a fun team, that I think should compete with everyone but the top 4/5 ACC teams. I am looking forward to seeing how they play against better athletes.

Re: JGIII vs ACC guards:

We absolutely ABUSED Kyle Guy on D when he was a Frosh.
So much so, Bennett had to remove him from the game, he was too much of a liability that day.

So yes, this is a very real possibility.
I think the zone will help somewhat, but - Buddy is not (yet) a plus defender either, so we’ll hafta see how that shakes out.

Clearly that didn’t stay that way, and he ended up being solid on D, to go along with his prodigious shooting and scoring abilities.

Once more, for old times sake: ELF that Guy!!!
;)

JGIII will likely incite opposing fans to say the exact same thing, in spite of his last name not being Guy

:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom