The Upside (St. John's) | Syracusefan.com

The Upside (St. John's)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I looked at this one on the schedule and said: “That’s the one. This will be our first loss. This team has been building up talent for the last 2-3 years and this is a game that could make their season. “I thought I might be like last year’s Temple game that we lost in the Garden at about this time, (actually that was December 22nd). I’m delighted to be wrong. This team wins games other teams would have lost.

- We can do it because of all the options we have this year. The Johnnies decided to take Trevor Cooney out of the game and they did. So Ennis scores 21. Fair scores 21. Grant scores 14 on 5 for 7 shooting. Christmas and Coleman got 12 points on 5 for 5. Gbiinje doesn’t provide much offense in Cooney’s place but he plays defense and got 3 rebounds and a steal. We got guys.

- In a game where nothing was happening outside, we shot 23 for 36 on two pointers, a phenomenal 64%. St. John’s was 20 for 41, a credible 49%. Phenomenal trumps credible. We made some really tough shots with some big people in the way.

- We got big guys, too. With G-man in there we are huge and broke even on the boards, (33-33) vs. a big team. This was the first game we didn’t have an edge in turnovers, (11-9)so breaking even on the boards was important.

- Tyler Ennis had 21 points, 6 assists and 2 turnovers. But the big stat was 10 for 10 from the line, offsetting Rysheed Jordan’s 9 for 9. Tyler dominated the first half, got taken out of things by the Red Strom’s frenetic defense for much of the second but them made the plays down the stretch to win the game. I k now who is out there but is there a better freshman in the country, considering the importance of the position he plays and the success we’ve had as a team?

- I just saw a montage on ESPN of Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker’s and Julius Randle’s greatest plays this year. They didn’t show me anything I’m not seeing from Jerami Grant, who dominated for stretches on both ends. And Raf’ s line that a shot “was buried in grant’s tomb” isn’t going away any time soon.

- CJ Fair struggled at times but hit some big shots at the end of the game and actually was named game MVP by Fox. I agree that should been Ennis, (same as Hawaii). Noblesse Oblige. But it’s not so much that CJ has been a disappointment as that other players have risen to his level. He was expected to be our obvious best player and it’s not obvious. Good for us.

- St. John’s used three guards and they went a combined 9 for 33 from the field, including 1 for 11 from the arc. DEFENSE!... DEFENSE!... DEFENSE!

10-0 with 23+ to go

Let’s Go Orange!

- This team wins games other teams would have lost.

That's almost exactly what I emailed to a friend of mine (and fellow SU alum) after the game.
They've had a few games this year where it looked like they were going to let it get away but then stepped up huge in the last few minutes on both offense and defense to put the game away and get the win.
In addition to talent, this team seems to have a lot of heart and desire.
I think this is going to be a fun season to watch (it definitely has been so far).

historically, other than the paul harris years, our team seems to win a large percentage of these types of games. i wonder why. hmm... what constant is there ?

historically, other than the paul harris years, our team seems to win a large percentage of these types of games. i wonder why. hmm... what constant is there ?

The ball is round? :cool:

Re: CJ. He gets the credit because he hits the shots that stop runs. Every time teams have gotten close he nails the prettiest mid-ranger in college basketball. The other team is so intent on stopping him, it absolutely deflates them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom