The Upside - TCU | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - TCU

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The Big Three were 10 for 39 and scored 27 pints. The guy was our leading scorer fouled out with 6:12 to go and still beat a Jamie Dixon team. Virginia is down the drain and we’re still dancing. It’s a strange game.

- We did it by playing strong, consistent defense and not turning the ball over. Arizona State was tied for 18th in the country in scoring and TCU was 20th. Both were averaging 83 points a game. They got 56 and 52 points, respectively. We did it by controlling the tempo, the shooters and boards. Both games were 120 possession games.

- We were a little leaky on the inside because we had to extend the zone so far out but we had a 7-2 shot blocker inside. (Although Chukwu was only credited with 3 blocks, he altered a lot of shots.) The Sun Devils and Horned Frogs, (gotta love the nicknames), missed 35 of 49 three pointers. (success rate 28.6%).

- ASU and TCU rebounded only 16 of their 68 missed shots, 23.5%.

- We had only 7 turnovers to 13 for the Frogs.

- Marek Dolezaj finally realized that nobody was guarding him and started to use his skills to their fullest extent, scoring 17 points on 8 for 13 shooting. Two things are key to strong NCAA runs: defense and having an –factor guy who has not bene a consistent contributor but becomes one. Marek did that today. Now he’s got to keep it up.

- It’s become obvious that this team’s best player is Oshae Brissett, who carried us after Marek fouled out and nearly had his 13th double-double with 13 points and 9 rebounds, huge numbers in a 57-52 game.

- Paschal Chukwu almost had a double-double himself with 8 points, 10 rebounds and 6 for 6 from the foul line. Remember how long it took him to hit his first free throw in an SU uniform?

- In two days we’ve gone from the 68th team, (or worse in the opinion of many) to the Top 32. And a lot of those Cinderallas will turn into pumpkins so I don’t think we’re #32. We just have to figure out a way past the Spartans. If Xerxes could do it…
upload_2018-3-17_1-17-11.png

22-13 (9-11) with 1+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

- The Big Three were 10 for 39 and scored 27 pints. The guy was our leading scorer fouled out with 6:12 to go and still beat a Jamie Dixon team. Virginia is down the drain and we’re still dancing. It’s a strange game.

- We did it by playing strong, consistent defense and not turning the ball over. Arizona State was tied for 18th in the country in scoring and TCU was 20th. Both were averaging 83 points a game. They got 56 and 52 points, respectively. We did it by controlling the tempo, the shooters and boards. Both games were 120 possession games.

- We were a little leaky on the inside because we had to extend the zone so far out but we had a 7-2 shot blocker inside. (Although Chukwu was only credited with 3 blocks, he altered a lot of shots.) The Sun Devils and Horned Frogs, (gotta love the nicknames), missed 35 of 49 three pointers. (success rate 28.6%).

- ASU and TCU rebounded only 16 of their 68 missed shots, 23.5%.

- We had only 7 turnovers to 13 for the Frogs.

- Marek Dolezaj finally realized that nobody was guarding him and started to use his skills to their fullest extent, scoring 17 points on 8 for 13 shooting. Two things are key to strong NCAA runs: defense and having an –factor guy who has not bene a consistent contributor but becomes one. Marek did that today. Now he’s got to keep it up.

- It’s become obvious that this team’s best player is Oshae Brissett, who carried us after Marek fouled out and nearly had his 13th double-double with 13 points and 9 rebounds, huge numbers in a 57-52 game.

- Paschal Chukwu almost had a double-double himself with 8 points, 10 rebounds and 6 for 6 from the foul line. Remember how long it took him to hit his first free throw in an SU uniform?

- In two days we’ve gone from the 68th team, (or worse in the opinion of many) to the Top 32. And a lot of those Cinderallas will turn into pumpkins so I don’t think we’re #32. We just have to figure out a way past the Spartans. If Xerxes could do it…
View attachment 124908

22-13 (9-11) with 1+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!
By any chance, are you reading the Greek classics?

I come down hard on Chukwu but after watching him run stiff-legged up the court at the end of the game I realized how much he must be hurting. It will be tough on him and the rest of the team to have to play 3 games in 5 days. I agree with you on Brissett at the end of the game. He was throwing up some weird shots and they either somehow went in or he was fouled. I can't remember the last game that Howard and Battle were such non-factors in an SU win. I have to smile when I think of the players and coaches for Arizona State and TCU as they walk off the court muttering "How did we lose to a team like that?" I hope Michigan State is muttering the same tomorrow night.

I come down hard on Chukwu but after watching him run stiff-legged up the court at the end of the game I realized how much he must be hurting. It will be tough on him and the rest of the team to have to play 3 games in 5 days. I agree with you on Brissett at the end of the game. He was throwing up some weird shots and they either somehow went in or he was fouled. I can't remember the last game that Howard and Battle were such non-factors in an SU win. I have to smile when I think of the players and coaches for Arizona State and TCU as they walk off the court muttering "How did we lose to a team like that?" I hope Michigan State is muttering the same tomorrow night.
I can't believe that O'Shae was only fouled once in the last several sequences he went to the basket. I saw at least three times where he was fouled prior to his shot. Guess at that time in the game, the referees were beginning consistent by not calling fouls on either side.

He does a good job of picking his spots to fully exert himself. He can look like he's about to collapse but them comes up with a big block or rebound. And how about those free throws!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom