The Upside-Villanova | Syracusefan.com

The Upside-Villanova

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Despite the frustrating loss, this was our best game of the season. We out-played the #7 team in the nation in their place. If we can learn to play like this consistently, we’re going to beat a lot of teams this year.

- Michael Gbinije had an unfortunate ending to the game, with a foul shot missed and two consecutive in-bounds turnovers at the end of regulation. But it was his best game in a Syracuse Uniform. He led the way in the great start with a lay-up to open the scoring, a steal and assist for the second basket and a jumper for the third. He also hit a big three pointer in the 10-0 run that gave us control of the game until the very end. He wound up with 18 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals. If he can consistently perform anywhere near close to that the rest of the season, we will have a good team.

- Kaleb Joseph also had his best game. The numbers weren’t spectacular: he missed 8 of 13 shots, including all of his three pointers. But he had 10 assists, compared to 4 turnovers, only one in the first half. Down the stretch he made a dipsy-do layup to make it 51-43, a jumper to make it 57-52, and another to make it 61-56. You can see the player he could become for us.

- Trevor Cooney continued to perform well. He was only 1 for 7 inside the arc but hit 3 three pointers and 6 of 7 free throws for 17 points. He also had 5 rebounds. Rakeem Christmas continues his strong play with 18 points on 8 for 12 shooting, He hasn’t really had a bad game, although he could rebound a bit more, (5 in 34 minutes. His only problem is foul trouble, which has bene a problem in virtually every game.

- Tyler Roberson again performed credibly, making all five of his shots for 11 points. He also could have done better off the boards, (3 rebounds). But he’s another “tent pole” that Jim Boeheim has managed to erect in this wind storm. I’ve said before that if we can get 1-2 guys to have a good game, we’ll probably lose. If we can make it 3-4, we’ll probably win. More than that and we’ll blow somebody away. With McCullough, (who will have his good games, too), and the above guys, our changes of getting 3-4 good performances in a game are pretty good.

6-4 with 23+ more

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!!

If I was to grade the players:

First Half
Joseph: A-
Cooney: A-
G: A++
McC: C-
Rak: B+
Roberson: B

Pretty spectacular.

Second Half
Joseph: C-
G: F+
Cooney: A-
McC: D
Rak: B-
Roberson: B+

BJ: C+ (All I recall him doing was committing one foul, and a nice play where he was patient on offense, got around his man, dished it back out for what turned into a basket)

I'm grading on a curve - Roberson wasn't spectacular, but continues to show some progress. He gets a bump for delivering in a higher pressure game.

The schedule is backloaded with all the toughest teams in the last 8 to 10 games of the season. With JB's only using 6 or 7 players in a game they will be worn down, when they hit that stretch. That's why I feel this is an NIT team at best.

What choice does he have?

I'm really encouraged that Roberson looks to be settling down a bit.

Nice write up. Not reading the down side today.

The schedule is backloaded with all the toughest teams in the last 8 to 10 games of the season. With JB's only using 6 or 7 players in a game they will be worn down, when they hit that stretch. That's why I feel this is an NIT team at best.
It could be. It seems like our NIT years end with a 1-6 stretch at the end. But I am looking at this year from "glass half-full" specs. I think we have a range of midrange or lesser teams coming up, and we can grow up "right" against them, get confidence, get crisp, get more familiar with each other, and compete well when that stretch comes. I am afraid though our "meat" is lacking.
It showed when you have two loads like Pinkston and Daniel O.

If I was to grade the players:

BJ: C+ (All I recall him doing was committing one foul, and a nice play where he was patient on offense, got around his man, dished it back out for what turned into a basket)
I am glad BJ is in the rotation , albeit small. One play I saw he missed a slide and help on the zone. It's tough. He is basically a tall off-guard, and he has been playing the role of a power forward at times. If he starts hitting that shot, he will play more

What he said.

If BJ could eventually play the 2 he would have a height advantage that could benefit our zone. He could be a walking mismatch but why in the world does his shot not fall? His debut has been disappointing. Maybe he needs to develop a sweet spot and then look for it in game time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom