The Upside - Virginia II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Virginia II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Tyus Battle lived up to his name and ground out 15 tough points. Frank Howard managed to get to double figures with 11 so we got 26 points from our backcourt and a bad shooting night.

- Marek Dolezaj had a solid game with 9 points, 7 reboduns2 blocks, an assist and a steal.

- OShae Brissett couldn’t find room for his drives and got no calls but still had 9 points, 6 rebounds and 2 steals. But he’s graded on a higher curve than Marek is.

- Our press is a mixed bag at best and we don’t have the depth to be able to run it for more a couple of possessions. But the only good things that seem to happen for us against Virginia come when we press them. I hope we have enough depth to do that next year.

- And we might have that depth. I’m becoming convinced that this might actually be a year when we lose no one to the pros. None of these guys has anything resembling an NBA game, at least not yet. A healthy Chukwu, Sidibie, Brissett, Moyer, Dolezaj, Battle, Howard, Washington + Hughes +Bazley + Carey +Boeheim could make quite a team. (But you know that we can’t have nice things.)

- We won’t play anyone this good the rest of the way.

15-8 (4-6) with 9+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
- Tyus Battle lived up to his name and ground out 15 tough points. Frank Howard managed to get to double figures with 11 so we got 26 points from our backcourt and a bad shooting night.

- Marek Dolezaj had a solid game with 9 points, 7 reboduns2 blocks, an assist and a steal.

- OShae Brissett couldn’t find room for his drives and got no calls but still had 9 points, 6 rebounds and 2 steals. But he’s graded on a higher curve than Marek is.

- Our press is a mixed bag at best and we don’t have the depth to be able to run it for more a couple of possessions. But the only good things that seem to happen for us against Virginia come when we press them. I hope we have enough depth to do that next year.

- And we might have that depth. I’m becoming convinced that this might actually be a year when we lose no one to the pros. None of these guys has anything resembling an NBA game, at least not yet. A healthy Chukwu, Sidibie, Brissett, Moyer, Dolezaj, Battle, Howard, Washington + Bazley + Carey +Boeheim could make quite a team. (But you know that we can’t have nice things.)

15-8 (4-6) with 9+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Don't forget Elijah Hughes!

You are an incredible optomist

If you look at things from more than one angle, the image gets more interesting.

stereoscope.jpg

Stereoscope - Wikipedia

With our luck Tyus will go off for 40 points a game in the NIT and then declare for the draft.

Virginia is such a well coached, patient and fundamentally sound team. It completely baffles me that our sloppy press gives them so many issues. Either they fumble it in the backcourt; break it and get a 3 on 1 and all of sudden get the yips and fumble the ball out of bounds; or get a dunk (which doesn't happen as often as it should).

Not many teams press UVA but when they do it never seems as effective as ours. But our press based purely on the eye test looks average at best and whenever we try it vs. anyone else it seems to be ineffective. I have no idea why UVA has as many issues with it as they do.

"Virginia is such a well coached, patient and fundamentally sound team. It completely baffles me that our sloppy press gives them so many issues. Either they fumble it in the backcourt; break it and get a 3 on 1 and all of sudden get the yips and fumble the ball out of bounds; or get a dunk (which doesn't happen as often as it should)."

i believe i heard it stated that the trunk monkey generated 7 second half TO's. i know we got a quick 5 second call and maybe a few backcourt disruptions but as you correctly stated the majority of the TO's were simply careless fumbles OOB when they had already broken the press and had an easy dunk. you could tell bennett was irked at the sloppiness but the double digit lead they held was already insurmountable for us and he knew it. never the less we expended an incredible amount of energy in what was ultimately a double digit lost cause . we shall see how this fruitless effort affects us monday night.
(guess this should be filed under "downsides".)

"Virginia is such a well coached, patient and fundamentally sound team. It completely baffles me that our sloppy press gives them so many issues. Either they fumble it in the backcourt; break it and get a 3 on 1 and all of sudden get the yips and fumble the ball out of bounds; or get a dunk (which doesn't happen as often as it should)."

i believe i heard it stated that the trunk monkey generated 7 second half TO's. i know we got a quick 5 second call and maybe a few backcourt disruptions but as you correctly stated the majority of the TO's were simply careless fumbles OOB when they had already broken the press and had an easy dunk. you could tell bennett was irked at the sloppiness but the double digit lead they held was already insurmountable for us and he knew it. never the less we expended an incredible amount of energy in what was ultimately a double digit lost cause . we shall see how this fruitless effort affects us monday night.
(guess this should be filed under "downsides".)

Sloppiness can result when a team is forced to play the game at a faster tempo than they like.

As one of the primary chukwu bashers here, I must give him a little props. His first reaction to UVA breaking the press was terrible. Got caught between Guy and the big guy who dunked a really nice pass from Guy. After that, he played the back of the press with much more discipline, staying home and disrupting the break.

As one of the primary chukwu bashers here, I must give him a little props. His first reaction to UVA breaking the press was terrible. Got caught between Guy and the big guy who dunked a really nice pass from Guy. After that, he played the back of the press with much more discipline, staying home and disrupting the break.

A visit with the coach helped. that was the brief time when we "went small" as Sidibie was not available.

A visit with the coach helped. that was the brief time when we "went small" as Sidibie was not available.
Yup. Should have mentioned that but wanted to focus on the big guy since I beat on him frequently

-
I thought this post was going to be blank.
But that is an upside.

The only other bright spot was that the Orange actually ran a break that resulted in a Brissett slam.

With our luck Tyus will go off for 40 points a game in the NIT and then declare for the draft.
Won't happen because there will be no NIT for SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom