The Upside - Virginia II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Virginia II

SWC75

Bored Historian
-
- I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Syracuse team that needed a win like this more and we went out and got it. There’s much more- much more- to be done but this could be a turning point for this team. This win could give them the confidence to go on the winning streak they need to still make something of this season.

- I mentioned in the chat room that, regardless of how this game turns out, you can’t fault the quantity of SU’s effort. They won it because you can’t fault the quality of it either. Marek Dolezaj played the last 19:07 with 4 fouls and played better with those 4 fouls than he had before that. Buddy Boeheim was 1 for 12 when he hit a three pointer with 3:01 left that gave us a 43-41 lead. He went on to finish the game with a 4 for 5 run, three of them three pointers. He also made a free throw12 of his 14 points with the game on the line. Joe Girard, our freshman point guard played the whole game with a quick aggressive defender, (Kihei Clark) in his face and had only 3 turnovers in 40 minutes while leading the team in scoring with 19 points and 6 rebounds- all defensive rebounds. Elijah Hughes had 18 points and 9 defensive rebounds. That’s what we need- games with multiple heroes.

- Let’s compare the 1st game, which we lost 34-48 in the Dome on November 6th to today’s game, which we won 63-55 in OT. We were out-rebounded in the first game, 28-47. In this game it was 44-47. We shot 8 for 26, (30.8%), inside the arc in the first game, 8 for 31, (25.8%), in this one. But we made 12 of 30 three pointers tonight, (40.0%), vs. 5 for 29, (17.2%), Virginia was 4 for 25 from outside in the first game, 7 for 31 tonight. In November, they were an astonishing 16 for 24 inside the arc, (66.7%). In this game they were 14 for 36 (38.9%). We had a total of 21 turnovers in the two games against their pressure. They had 31 against our zone. We had one double figure scorer in the first game, (Hughes with 14), three in this one, (Joe had 19, Eli 18 and Buddy 14). We had 5 fast break points in the first game, 13 in this one.

- Regardless of how the rest of the season goes for the Cavaliers, we have a win over Virginia in Charlottesville and those are gold-plated.

- Arguably the next five games are against teams not as good as the one we just beat in their own place. February begins with Duke’s visit to the Dome and we’ve played very well against them since we came into the league. Then come Wake Forest and NC State who just got routed by Virginia Tech today. I wonder how the season will look after those games?

9-7 with 15+ to be done

LET’S GO ORANGE!

What a great write-up, as usual! I just got home, after watching the game with friends for the very first time this year. Obviously, it made a difference. To top it all off, I DVR’d the game with an extra 30 minutes in the unlikely event it would go into overtime.

You’re welcome.

I turned on the game at 30-23 and turned it off at 35-30. How do you win a game tied at 43 when the other team had a 12 point run? This was trending the same as the VT game --a game we should have won except for a few minutes lapse in the second half. The team turned the script today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom