The Upside - Virginia | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Virginia

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Are we dreaming? Have we twice come from double digit deficits with second half rallies to beat Virginia, the team that has supplanted Pittsburgh, Connecticut and Georgetown that plays too rough and trough for our long, lean players to handle? Had the team that got blown out by St. John’s now beaten two top ten teams in 7 days? Yup, it happened.

- We certainly haven’t clinched anything but the big Dance seems more in focus and continuing the streak seems no problem.

- John Gillon has had a 43 points game. Tyler Lydon has had a 29 point game. Andrew White has had a 28 point game. Tyus Battle has had a 23 point game. Taurean Thomspon has had a 22 point game. Nobody can cover ‘em all- not even Virginia.

- Andrew White scored 2 points on1 for 5 shooting vs. St. John’s. Since then he’s been in double figures in every game. During this four game winning streak he’s scored 102 points on 32 for 64 (50%) from the field, 15 for 36 from the arc, (42%) and 23 for 26 from the line, ((88%). On top of that, he’s turned into a complete player, driving to the basket, running the court, grabbing rebounds, tipping passes and making steals, (21 rebounds and 12 steals). Earlier this season I said he looked like a good college player, not an NBA player. But he’s looking like one now.

- So is Tyus Battle. He’s a freshman and his performances have been up and down. But he makes plays no one else on the team can make. In this game the drove across the foul line, jumped in the air and hung there while his defender ran past and nailed a a jump shot. It was the definition of “creating your own shot. He’ll be in the league someday, too. I just hope he waits until his game is fully developed and he can be a most consistent player. But I know that’s not how things work anymore.

- Another change of mind involves Tyler Lydon. I’ve always viewed him as a forward pressed into service as a center. (He started at the three at the beginning of the season). But, at least at the college level, he is a center. He’s 6-9, 225 pounds. He can block shots. He’s learned how to play good positional defense. He plays the passing lanes. He rebounds. He’s developed some inside moves. He can move outside and hit jumpers- even long ones- and draw the other team’s big man out. He doesn’t park in the lane and clog it up. What more do we need?

- The next two games are an excellent opportunity to get a couple of road wins against teams that are 3-6 and 1-9 in the conference. They are also two chances to do the one thing we haven’t done to really get us back on track and dreaming of post season glory: we still haven’t had a good defensive game on the road. When we play strong defense like we did today and shoot the ball as well as we have bene doing, we can make a lot of noise. And the glory games are all on the road.

- Believe it or not, we are in contention for the conference regular season title: Atlantic Coast Conference Standings - College Basketball - ESPN We’ve already beaten two of the teams ahead of us. Of course this is something else that doesn’t official exist. But it’s there if you want it to be.

15-9 (7-4) with 7+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Pitt may be 1-9 in conference but they gave Duke quite a battle today, they'll be playing at home, and they want revenge against the team that destroyed them in the first game between the two. Neither game will be easy.

We have been fortunate that the schedule has us playing highly ranked teams in the Dome this year. And now winning four in a row in the ACC? Pinch me!

Next year's schedule will be unbalanced the other direction. I am not looking forward to that. But for now, LIVE IN THE MOMENT!

Pitt may be 1-9 in conference but they gave Duke quite a battle today, they'll be playing at home, and they want revenge against the team that destroyed them in the first game between the two. Neither game will be easy.

Our last easy game of the season was Cornell.

s0105150_sc7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom