The Upside- Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We are on quite a good run right now. We beat the then #15 ranked Louisville Cardinals by 20, gave then #1 ranked Duke and #5 ranked North Carolina all they could handle and today blew out the Demon Deacons by 25. Most commentators are saying that our 19th win, 10th in the conference and 6th on the road put us in the Big Dance, (although I don’t want to be 19-13 on selection Sunday). Hopefully it’s just a question of seeding from here on in. I’d like to get out of that 8-9 game, which means you, (likely) meet a #1 seed in the second round.

- We seemed to be in trouble when Wake opened the second half with a mortar shot jumper and a breakaway off of a bad pass to make it 40-35 after we’d had a 34-20 lead late in the first half. That was 46 seconds into the second half. Their next field goal came with 5:41 left, a gap of 13:27, the longest I can ever remember, during which we outscored them 27-4, the only Wake points coming on free throws, and probably clinched the NCAA bid.

- Wake was wide-open on defense and we needed to have a strong offensive game and we did. We were 27 for 38, (71%) inside the arc. Tyus Battle was 9 for 13 from the field. Elijah Hughes was 8 for 12. We scored 44 points in the paint and 20 off the fast break. Old fashioned SU basketball.

- Meanwhile our defense clamped down on them. They were 9 for 29 inside the arc. Their leading scorer, Brandon Childress, was 1 for 8. We had 15 steals and 23 takeaways overall as well as 5 blocks (at least). We had 27 points off of turnovers.

- Oshae Brissett made 3 of 4 free throws. Frank Howard had 6 assists, (to 1 turnover), and got them from penetration, not just perimeter passing. Paschal Chukwu really hustled and made all four of his field goals. We will need consistent contributions from everybody to have a good post season run so those were encouraging signs.

19-10 (10-6) and with 4+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
The past two games Frank has looked like the floor leader we were hoping he always was. Good timing. We could use even more of it if he has it in him =-)

I was very encouraged on Huges driving and scoring. 18 points with only 1 three. Opens his game hugely. Boudes (sp?) well for next year. Also liked what I ssme in Braswell. He moved easily and smoothly. I hope that too boodes well for next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom