The Upside- Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Who was that masked man?

1581231296573.png

No it wasn’t the Dome ranger, (and they should bring the character back, even if it’s not the same guy). It was Brycen Goodine, broken nose and all, pressed into service as a forward due to foul trouble, even though he’d never played that position, who got the winning basket of a follow shot.

- It was the definition of a “must” win. Beating a team like Duke would have done wonders for our season but you can lose to them and still have a shot at the Big dance. With a loss tonight, the ship would have sunk. And we won it with a rag-tag bunch of starters and reserves playing out of positon for the last four minutes.

- Still, it’s three stars that have to carry the team. Buddy Boeheim gave us the big lead with 5 three pointers leading to 23 points and Elijah Hughes scored 20, pulled down 8 rebounds, has 3 assists and 4 blocks, one of the a thunderous over the shoulder rejection trialing a fast break that almost necessitated a quick construction of the new roof. Buddy also had 4 steals.

- Quincy Guerrier played like he was on a pogo stick, jumping multiple times per possession to score 13 points, pull down 3 rebounds, (seemed like more) and block a couple of shots, (also seemed like more). The quality of his effort is not always there but there’s nothing wrong with the quantity.

- Jesse Edwards got 2 rebounds and 2 steals and hit a free throw in 10 minutes. Goodine also had 2 rebs and the winning follow shot in 6 minutes. They gave us a chance- in the game and in the season.

- Quick hands- 9 blocks and 8 steals vs. 3 and 6 for Wake, won this game.

- Three more wins and clinch “the streak”. It might be the only thing we clinch this season.

- I wanted to thank him…

14-9 (7-5) with 8+ to be done

LET’S GO ORANGE!

- Who was that masked man?

View attachment 176601

No it wasn’t the Dome ranger, (and they should bring the character back, even if it’s not the same guy). It was Brycen Goodine, broken nose and all, pressed into service as a forward due to foul trouble, even though he’d never played that position, who got the winning basket of a follow shot.

- It was the definition of a “must” win. Beating a team like Duke would have done wonders for our season but you can lose to them and still have a shot at the Big dance. With a loss tonight, the ship would have sunk. And we won it with a rag-tag bunch of starters and reserves playing out of positon for the last four minutes.

- Still, it’s three stars that have to carry the team. Buddy Boeheim gave us the big lead with 5 three pointers leading to 23 points and Elijah Hughes scored 20, pulled down 8 rebounds, has 3 assists and 4 blocks, one of the a thunderous over the shoulder rejection trialing a fast break that almost necessitated a quick construction of the new roof. Buddy also had 4 steals.

- Quincy Guerrier played like he was on a pogo stick, jumping multiple times per possession to score 13 points, pull down 3 rebounds, (seemed like more) and block a couple of shots, (also seemed like more). The quality of his effort is not always there but there’s nothing wrong with the quantity.

- Jesse Edwards got 2 rebounds and 2 steals and hit a free throw in 10 minutes. Goodine also had 2 rebs and the winning follow shot in 6 minutes. They gave us a chance- in the game and in the season.

- Quick hands- 9 blocks and 8 steals vs. 3 and 6 for Wake, won this game.

- Three more wins and clinch “the streak”. It might be the only thing we clinch this season.

- I wanted to thank him…

14-9 (7-5) with 8+ to be done

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Thanks again for the write up. Being I didn't start watching until WF was on the line which must have come right after Marek leaving the game, this post alerted me to something that makes JB's presser comments about Buddy "volunteering" to play forward make more sense now. So am I correct in understanding that JB originally had Goodine down there and he did rather poorly? I don't think I got that from anything else I read here tonight, so if so I wanted to express appreciation.

I found the JG3 incident you mentioned rather interesting, and am guessing I would have been likely to read about it anywhere else, so thanks for that as well. Joe certainly has fire within him, which I noticed when he got in the face of the opposing player whom the announcers kept commenting was so tough a game or 2 ago. I think his improvement may hinge more on some internal thought processes than physical things...but I am glad to have read you saying JB used this as a teaching experience although upset.

Do you have any ideas what you may ask JB this week on the call in show? I'm not sure what day of the week it is, but I'm guessing after the NC State game? It has been said that "necessity is the mother of invention", and I am guessing someone will be likely to ask about JB getting at least a few minutes per game out of the lineup changes he was forced into tonight to enable some starters that otherwise would not receive rest to do so, depending on how we match up with the opponent. I'm not necessarily endorsing it, but when a thread about it was started earlier, one of my first thoughts was that show because it seems like more people would be calling in if they thought they had great ideas for how things could improve.

I know it's been mentioned elsewhere at least once by someone, and also by me(and JB), but that Edwards tip to Goodine was something I want to mention again to make sure as many people as possible take note of the part he played that allowed Goodine to make his heroic play. The confidence of both young men will likely improve after this win, and who knows what that start to translate into.

I don’t know if this is in another thread, but why does Boeheim have our guys to the other end of the court when we are shooting free throws?

I don’t know if this is in another thread, but why does Boeheim have our guys to the other end of the court when we are shooting free throws?
What I saw somewhere is that JB's reasoning is that they are unlikely to get the rebound anyway and more likely to foul trying to, so he'd prefer they just stay on the other end of the floor and have the defense setup when the other team rebounds the miss.
What cracks me up though is when QG is at the line and he makes his first free throw, he still slaps hands with the "ghost" players where our guys would be if they were there to rebound. It's hilarious to watch but guess it's his routine at the line and hey, it seems to work. :)

What I saw somewhere is that JB's reasoning is that they are unlikely to get the rebound anyway and more likely to foul trying to, so he'd prefer they just stay on the other end of the floor and have the defense setup when the other team rebounds the miss.
What cracks me up though is when QG is at the line and he makes his first free throw, he still slaps hands with the "ghost" players where our guys would be if they were there to rebound. It's hilarious to watch but guess it's his routine at the line and hey, it seems to work. :)
Do you think it also reflects his confidence that we will actually make the free throws?

Well, they have been much better at the FT line this year. Buddy needs to work on his FTs though. A shooter like him should not be a 70% FT shooter.

Actually, he's fallen below that at 69.7%:

He doesn't get to the line much but he had a 9 for 9 streak that took him to 15 of 18 for the season, (83.3%). Since then, he's 8 for 15, (53.3%), which is ridiculous for a shooter of his caliber.

He doesn't get to the line much but he had a 9 for 9 streak that took him to 15 of 18 for the season, (83.3%). Since then, he's 8 for 15, (53.3%), which is ridiculous for a shooter of his caliber.
And in the past 2 games, those missed have come at critical times when we really needed them (the 1 out of 3 against Duke, and missed the front end of 1and1 last night).

For a team that at one time we were wondering might not win "nine -ing games," I have to say I am enjoying rooting for this team and am impressed for how they have grown. This is by no means one of the winningest SU teams. It is one of the more winsome ones.

For a team that at one time we were wondering might not win "nine -ing games," I have to say I am enjoying rooting for this team and am impressed for how they have grown. This is by no means one of the winningest SU teams. It is one of the more winsome ones.

Definition of winsome
1: generally pleasing and engaging often because of a childlike charm and innocence
a winsome smile
2: CHEERFUL, LIGHTHEARTED

Well we do have a lot of freshmen and no seniors so i guess they have "a childlike charm and innocence."

winsome: "attractive or appealing in appearance or character." More my intent. But certainly part of the charm of this team is its youthfulness, and its unexpected resurgence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom