The Upside (x3) | Syracusefan.com

The Upside (x3)

SWC75

Bored Historian
(I’m going to cover the last three games that have taken place while I’ve off-line)

- Michael Carter-Williams certainly had a bumpy ride but he really knows how to come through at the end of games. He had the two huge steals at the end of the Louisville game and bad a huge three pointer at the end of the Cincinnati game to tie it. He can also throw down those dunks. I think he had the #1 highlight on Sports Center 2 of 3 days. With some guys you pray that they hit that first shot because you know they will be no good to us the rest of the game if it doesn’t go in. The great ones can have a bad game and still make the plays at the end to win it for you.

- Brandon Triche was an All-American the first half against Louisville, going seven for 7 and keeping us in the game.

- CJ Fair scored 22 vs. Villanova, got 8 big rebounds vs. Louisville and tipped in the winning basket, (I thought he got his hand on it) vs. Cincinnati.

- Jerami Grant grew up a lot in these games, getting 28 points, 17 rebounds and 4 blocks and playing 92 minutes, essentially replacing James Southerland. We’ve been waiting for a good big man to emerge and Jerami appears to be it. I had thought of him as a third small forward but he’s a power forward, something we desperately need.

- I hope Trevor Cooney’s two late threes vs. Cincinnati will finally get him going, but who knows? I actually wanted him to stay in the game after those to see if he could keep it going.

- Baye Keita didn’t put up big numbers but he worked hard and played good defense in all three games.

- Defense…defense…defense! It doesn’t win games but it keeps you in them so you have a chance to win them at the end. Villanova, Louisville and Cincinnati missed a combined 109 of 168 shots, (they shot a combined 35%). The defense played against the Bearcats in the first half was outstanding, the best I’ve seen as far as denying open shots. We held them scoreless for 9:55 of the game. Then, after they’d dominated the second half to take a 48-54 lead, we held them to one free throw for the remaining 3:46. There’s no comeback if you can’t stop the other team.

- The team didn’t display perfection in any of the games but they did display plenty of grit and from here on in, grit will probably win more games than perfection will.

18-1 with 13 and more to be done.

LET'S GO ORANGE!

What, losing interest in your Internet rumors and hoaxes on the Big12 boards, "Dude"? ;)

Welcome back. I will need my Coach's Show fix.

Tomorrow. I was hoping it had been podcasted but the latest one those slow-pokes on SU Athletics is the 12/13 show.)

Welcome back...and dont do that disappearing act again...just ask for $$ for a new one...we will take care of that.

Again, glad to have SWC back!

I get the skepticism about this team. Pretty simple -- we are vulnerable inside (giving up offensive rebounds to Cincy) and don't have a center with an offensive game. Slipping by a Cincy team (with Cashmere Wright not up to his normal game) isn't going to scare the better teams.

You can consider that some of Cooney's minutes (during that 3 guard line-up that many did not like), and most of Jerami's minutes, replaced James. Collectively, not too bad, and the frosh are likely to learn some lessons and get better.

BT has lifted his game --and not just during that first half against Louisville. He has been a starter and good player for so long, we can tend to assume we have seen his game. Then he gives us 4 or 5 highlight-worthy drives and acrobatic finishes over this past week; and adds two clutch pull-ups in the final minutes against Cincy that were vital to the come-back. Upstaged by MCW's late heroics, but still, could BT be adding a dimension, late in his career?

I didn't think the Cuse could win the next game unless I read your Upside and Downside before the following game- glad I was wrong.:)

I didn't think the Cuse could win thier next game unless I had read your Upside and Downside for the previous game. Glad I was wrong.:)

I can not say enough about the contributions you make to this board. Thank you.

I didn't think the Cuse could win thier next game unless I had read your Upside and Downside for the previous game. Glad I was wrong.:)

Since they did it twice, you posted it twice. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom