The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- As I’ve said before, you not only want to win but you want a win that makes you feel good about the prospect of getting other wins. If we can sustain this kind of effort on a consistent basis, a winning record and spot in the Big Dance are back in play.

- Boeheim went with Pat’s favorite line-up: Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon Thompson. It didn’t last long as a unit because of Thompson’s foul trouble but the insertion of Roberson improved the defense and rebounding and the unit played well. Jim’s been looking for the right combination all year and he may have found one that works tonight.

- That looked like a Syracuse defensive team. There was more aggression, greater awareness of shooters, better organization. We were able to extend the zone without being burned inside. The offense had a stretch in the second half where they missed a series of open shots and Miami started to come back, we didn’t lose control of the game just because we weren’t scoring.

- And that was the most impressive thing. When the Canes went on a 3-12 run to turn a 40-30 game into a 43-42 game, we didn’t cave in. We took control of the game back with an 18-5 run of our own. The team that lost leads vs. Connecticut and Georgetown would not have done that.

- Not everything John Gillon did worked but he was always doing something. The offense remained as aggressive as the defense. He had 5 turnovers and missed 4 of 7 shots, including 3 of 4 treys but he had 8 points, 11 assists and 2 steals.

- Tyler Lydon showed a complete game. He hit 2 of 3 treys but 5 of 10 shots inside the arc, despite be surrounded by defenders. She was able to rive around them to put up shots and had a beautiful picot move to get a around one guy for a dunk. I’m amazed he was only credited with 7 rebounds. He must have had that many in the second half alone. He had 3 blocks and steal. Two of the blocks were on the same possession and he grabbed the ball to start a fast break the second time. He also worked well in the high post, a spot I’ve always thought we should utilize more. Both Lydon and Thompson can be productive from there.

- Roberson had 9 points, 6 rebounds and a couple of steals. He made 4 of 5 shots from the field and Jim Satalin noted after the game that he prevented Miami from getting scores along the baseline, which they’d been doing in other games.

- Andrew White had his second straight 22 point game and actually got a double-double with 10 rebounds, 9 on the defensive boards. He’s a 3, not a 2.

- Our bad performances had tended to come against man for man defenses. Tonight we shot 57% against a team that used an aggressive man for man defense, (they double-teamed the point guard on every possession). We actually made them abandon the man for man and got to a zone, which we torched after missing a few open shots to begin with.

- We were 17/25 inside the arc, 58%. They were 10/28, 36%. That’s winning basketball.

- Miami is supposed to be one of the better rebounding teams in the league but we won the boards 30-26.

- The players had fun and saw a glimpse of how good they could be, which may give them the motivation to approach every game the way the approached this one. The fans certainly had fun and responded to the team’s efforts. Did the coaches have fun? Do coaches ever have fun?

9-6 with 16+ to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!

- ...Did the coaches have fun? Do coaches ever have fun?

9-6 with 16+ to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Fun, maybe not. But I haven't seen this mentioned: Boeheim was fired up. This was old-school Boeheim, not so much yelling at players or refs, but just yelling with competitive spirit. He gave an enthusiastic fist-pump toward the bleachers as he was walking toward the handshake line. The past few weeks must have been brutal for him, and it was clear that this was a big win for him personally. Glad to see that. (Seemed like the crowd felt that way, too. The Boeheim era is coming to an end, so let's end it on a high note.)

Fun, maybe not. But I haven't seen this mentioned: Boeheim was fired up. This was old-school Boeheim, not so much yelling at players or refs, but just yelling with competitive spirit. He gave an enthusiastic fist-pump toward the bleachers as he was walking toward the handshake line. The past few weeks must have been brutal for him, and it was clear that this was a big win for him personally. Glad to see that. (Seemed like the crowd felt that way, too. The Boeheim era is coming to an end, so let's end it on a high note.)

Yes, please, God! I didn't see him do that, and would have loved to.

- As I’ve said before, you not only want to win but you want a win that makes you feel good about the prospect of getting other wins. If we can sustain this kind of effort on a consistent basis, a winning record and spot in the Big Dance are back in play.

- Boeheim went with Pat’s favorite line-up: Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon Thompson. It didn’t last long as a unit because of Thompson’s foul trouble but the insertion of Roberson improved the defense and rebounding and the unit played well. Jim’s been looking for the right combination all year and he may have found one that works tonight.

- That looked like a Syracuse defensive team. There was more aggression, greater awareness of shooters, better organization. We were able to extend the zone without being burned inside. The offense had a stretch in the second half where they missed a series of open shots and Miami started to come back, we didn’t lose control of the game just because we weren’t scoring.

- And that was the most impressive thing. When the Canes went on a 3-12 run to turn a 40-30 game into a 43-42 game, we didn’t cave in. We took control of the game back with an 18-5 run of our own. The team that lost leads vs. Connecticut and Georgetown would not have done that.

- Not everything John Gillon did worked but he was always doing something. The offense remained as aggressive as the defense. He had 5 turnovers and missed 4 of 7 shots, including 3 of 4 treys but he had 8 points, 11 assists and 2 steals.

- Tyler Lydon showed a complete game. He hit 2 of 3 treys but 5 of 10 shots inside the arc, despite be surrounded by defenders. She was able to rive around them to put up shots and had a beautiful picot move to get a around one guy for a dunk. I’m amazed he was only credited with 7 rebounds. He must have had that many in the second half alone. He had 3 blocks and steal. Two of the blocks were on the same possession and he grabbed the ball to start a fast break the second time. He also worked well in the high post, a spot I’ve always thought we should utilize more. Both Lydon and Thompson can be productive from there.

- Roberson had 9 points, 6 rebounds and a couple of steals. He made 4 of 5 shots from the field and Jim Satalin noted after the game that he prevented Miami from getting scores along the baseline, which they’d been doing in other games.

- Andrew White had his second straight 22 point game and actually got a double-double with 10 rebounds, 9 on the defensive boards. He’s a 3, not a 2.

- Our bad performances had tended to come against man for man defenses. Tonight we shot 57% against a team that used an aggressive man for man defense, (they double-teamed the point guard on every possession). We actually made them abandon the man for man and got to a zone, which we torched after missing a few open shots to begin with.

- We were 17/25 inside the arc, 58%. They were 10/28, 36%. That’s winning basketball.

- Miami is supposed to be one of the better rebounding teams in the league but we won the boards 30-26.

- The players had fun and saw a glimpse of how good they could be, which may give them the motivation to approach every game the way the approached this one. The fans certainly had fun and responded to the team’s efforts. Did the coaches have fun? Do coaches ever have fun?

9-6 with 16+ to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!
SWC, this may have been addressed in another thread that I haven't read, but on the radio last night White said that they watched film of Miami and were able to get to know the opponent. He said he really liked it and hoped they did it more. I vaguely recall hearing Boeheim say back in the distant past that he didn't use film that much to teach (?). I know that it is between semesters and so the players have more time, but White seemed excited that they would do this before every game. What do you know/think about this?

Also, do you really think we have the ability to beat the top ACC teams? I don't think Miami qualifies as one of those. I know they have a good record but surely they are not in the same realm as Carolina, Duke, Louisville, Virginia, or even Pitt. I may be more pessimistic than you, but as you said, this game gives me hope that we can at least be decent competition for the higher echelon.

I don't know how anyone can make a read on who the top teams in the ACC are yet. Virginia and Louisville already have multiple losses. I think we can beat Louisville this year. They have zero shooting. In a halfcourt game they struggle. That's how Notre Dame beat them. Florida State is the only team in the league with just one loss.

I don't know how anyone can make a read on who the top teams in the ACC are yet. Virginia and Louisville already have multiple losses. I think we can beat Louisville this year. They have zero shooting. In a halfcourt game they struggle. That's how Notre Dame beat them. Florida State is the only team in the league with just one loss.

Yep, right now we're in the unusual position of being able to beat every team on our schedule and also lose to every team on our schedule. I bet we won't do either.

I wouldn't say Miami's a top-tier league team, but they've got some players and a great coach; who knows how things will shake out, but they're probably no worse than Pitt.

SWC, this may have been addressed in another thread that I haven't read, but on the radio last night White said that they watched film of Miami and were able to get to know the opponent. He said he really liked it and hoped they did it more. I vaguely recall hearing Boeheim say back in the distant past that he didn't use film that much to teach (?). I know that it is between semesters and so the players have more time, but White seemed excited that they would do this before every game. What do you know/think about this?

Also, do you really think we have the ability to beat the top ACC teams? I don't think Miami qualifies as one of those. I know they have a good record but surely they are not in the same realm as Carolina, Duke, Louisville, Virginia, or even Pitt. I may be more pessimistic than you, but as you said, this game gives me hope that we can at least be decent competition for the higher echelon.

I recall him saying that about films, too. White seems to have the sort of maturity a coach would be impressed with, (he may wind up one). JB may have acceded to his request to see more film and may continue to do so.

This game doesn't prove we could beat the top teams in the conference and I know that if we don't win the ACC tournament, we'll have to take down a couple of those teams to wind up in the NCAA. If we are trending in the right direction, it may be possible to do that.

I recall him saying that about films, too. White seems to have the sort of maturity a coach would be impressed with, (he may wind up one). JB may have acceded to his request to see more film and may continue to do so.

This game doesn't prove we could beat the top teams in the conference and I know that if we don't win the ACC tournament, we'll have to take down a couple of those teams to wind up in the NCAA. If we are trending in the right direction, it may be possible to do that.
Was it actual "coach's film" or just watching their last game on an ESPN replay? Big difference. All the teams left on the schedule will have past games on ESPN since most all of those games are conference games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom