The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I felt down all day. Something I ate didn’t quite agree with me and it just kind of slowed me down. The weather isn’t wintry- it’s more like November or March, just drab and depressing. And we’ve been having so many games recently that weren’t fun to watch- we just struggle and struggle and somehow pull it out. The 7-20 start was amazingly bad but it seemed to just be an extension of the way I felt all day. Yet we somehow won again and are now 28-1 and 15-1 in the conference. I feel good about that.

- We went into this game obsessing over the uniforms but the game wound up being about streaks. They had two 0-11 and a 0-9 streak but we won anyway, thanks to a 26-0 streak, the longest scoreless streak I can ever remember in an SU game, (I recall reading that Pitt had had a 0-30 streak in an NCAA game years ago and my alma mater’s women team just opened a game at 35-0). Our incredible streak, which took the game from 7-20 to 33-20, we held the Bulls without a single point for an incredible 11 minutes and 23 seconds. USF, which had started out 8 for 12 from the field, missed 11 straight shots and had 8 turnovers. They looked like a fly in a spider’s web.

- The paper said we’d better look out for Victor Rudd, who can get hot. We did. He want 1 for 6, all from three point range. His teammate Ron Anderson was 1 for 8 and their point guard, Anthony Collins, had 8 turnovers. Fab Melo had 6 blocks and we had 9 of them as a team.

- An odd but revealing stat: we were out-rebounded 31-41 but led in second chance points, 13-4. When we didn’t get the rebound we didn’t stop playing defense. And the reebs started out 2-12 so we were actually even after that.

- We lead the country in turnover margin. There are two components to that: we force turnovers and we don’t make them. Tonight it was 9-18.

- CJ Fair can sure fill up a box score. He had 13 points, 6 rebounds, 5 steals and 3 assists.

- Scoop Jardine again came up big with 15 points on 6 for 10 shooting. His two threes made a 10-20 game a 13-20 game and gave us the lead at 21-20. He also had a huge three point play that ended their second 0-11 run and gave us some breathing room at 50-46.

- But the player of the game for me was Kris Joseph who hadn’t played all that well until we got challenged down the stretch. He simply decided that his team wasn’t going to lose this game. Three times he scored one follow-shots, two after his own misses abut also one after CJ missed a three point attempt. In each case he powered his way in to grab the ball and made multiple moves around defenders to get the ball in the basket. And we needed every one of them. Every point we made from 44 points to 54 points came from the seniors.

28-1 and 11 to be done….. Impossible is nothing!!!!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom