The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- 35 Minutes of Heck. After getting off to a dismal 3-10 start in the game’s first five minutes JB got out the ol’ “trunk monkey’ press and we went on an incredible 32-5 run to give us control of the game. After the game he said, (as usual) that we aren’t really a good pressing team but we sure looked like one tonight. I don’t know why we can’t be a good pressing team: we’ve got athletic, quick guys with long arms and quick hands all over the court. We forced 24 turnovers and got 31 points off of them. Somewhere Fred Lewis is smiling.

- Youth is not wasted on the young I: Michael Carter-Williams, in his first year starting as point guard, got 11 points and 11 assists. In each previous game he’d reached double figures in points or assists but not both. Now he’s put it together. He’s leading the nation in assists.

- Youth is not wasted on the young II: Every game show us something we haven’t seen before. Jerami Grant was 4 for 4 from the field, scored 11 points and had 2 blocks and 2 steals. But the numbers don’t really tell the story. There was a sequence in the first half where he blocked a guy out on a rebound and actually backed him out of bounds. He got called for a foul but Matt Roe said on the radio that SU players don’t normally block people out but this guy does. Then on the other end, he went up for a one-handed shot in the lane and gave his defender an artful shove to make room for it. He scored. It was probably a foul, too, but he didn’t get called for it and it’s what goes on in the NBA all the time. This kid has listened to his father and uncle and knows how the game is played. The idea that he’s the one who is going to disappear when the Big East season starts needs to be re-thought.

- Youth is not wasted on the young III: Trevor Cooney’s fever broke. He missed his 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th consecutive three pointers, each one worse than the lest. Then he got to the foul line, made a couple, then sort of willed in a trey, then threw in a 25 footer that barely made the net move as it went through. He’ll be fine. And he’s far from just a shooter. He had a rim-rattling dunk and a no-look pass to (I think Christmas) on the baseline that led to a basket, (but wasn’t scored an assist), and leads the team in steals per minute. Now that he’s found the range, watch out!.

- Youth is not wasted on the young IV: DaJuan Coleman is starting to assert himself. He found ways of getting around Dash Riley and Glenn Bryant to score 14 points on 5 for 6 shooting and pull down 5 rebounds in 22 minutes.

- “Old Man” Brandon Triche had 12 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists and three steals.

- I think this Eastern Michigan team is better than last year’s and yet we beat them by the exact same score, 84-48.

6-0 and here we go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom