The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It was a game of two halves- and we won both of them, 57-28 and 51-28.

- It was a “Stats” game. We had seven guys in double figures- 7! Three guys had 10+ rebounds. We had three double-doubles, two with points and rebounds and one with points and assists. We blocked 14 shots and forced 21 turnovers.

- Michael Carter-Williams had 16 assists- the third most in Syracuse history. JB said that he’s 2-3 games like that but this time his teammates made the baskets after getting his passes. Do his teammates get an assist for putting the ball in the basket? Michael also had 15 points, including a couple more threes, along with 5 steals, 4 blocks and 3 rebounds. I guess that’s a quintuple trey.
- Brandon Triche had quite a game himself with 18 points and 8 rebounds.

- CJ Fair had his second straight double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. In the last two games he’s played 43 minutes and has 30 points and 23 rebounds. He’s back to playing the opportunistic style he used in his first two years- just try to be where the ball is and find a way to get the ball in the basket, rather than jacking up long shots or trying to dribble through the defense to score.

- DaJuan Coleman, playing a team that resembled the highs school teams he munched on the last few years, bulled his way to 11 points and 14 rebounds in 25 minutes. Our other big men, Rakeem Christmas and Baye Moussa Keita had 13 rebounds and 6 blocks in 34 minutes.

- Trevor Cooney continued to celebrate the return of his jump-shot with 15 points on 5 three pointers. He added 4 assists and a couple of steals.

- The quarterly splits are amazing: 24-19, 33-9, 38-16, 13-12. If you multiply them by 4, we were playing at the following place: 96-76, 132-36, 152-64, 26-24. Another way of looking at it is that in the middle two quarters we out-scored them 71-25, which over four quarters would be 142-50.

- It’s interesting that for the third straight game, JB used the press proactively. He keeps saying he doesn’t believe in it, (even though that’s the style Fred Lewis played when Jim was a player here), and he’s traditionally used it only when way behind. He may be deciding that the press will be a weapon for this team. It will be interesting to see if he uses it this way against the better teams, (Detroit and Temple) or in the Big East games. It’s a nice weapon to have in our utility belt.

8-0 and here we go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Press sucked. If JB doesn't try that in the beginning of game we win 115-40.

He also did some half court jump tramps, which I don't recall having seen this year.

To think, that 4th quarter split (13-12) - which included total garbage time and 3 minutes of walkons, was basically the entire first half Georgetown put up against Towson today. Good god.

He also did some half court jump tramps, which I don't recall having seen this year.

I don't recall having known what a 'half court jump tramp' is. Please enlighten me. :noidea:

While it was fun to watch...and great for padding the individual stat lines, you wonder why JB schedules teams that are this weak. Navy crushed these guys. Do our guys really get anything out of games like this other than a light workout?

I don't recall having known what a 'half court jump tramp' is. Please enlighten me. :noidea:
As soon as Monmouth crossed halfcourt, the 2 guards rushed the ball handler and made him give it up.

Press sucked. If JB doesn't try that in the beginning of game we win 115-40.
I thought so too. Monmouth broke it fairly easily often. A better team would have scored on most of those 2 -1 , 3-2 breaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom