The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- West Virginia has one of the most productive programs in the country. From 2005-2011 they were the 7th winningest team in the country, (70-20) and this year they started out 5-0 and were ranked #9. They had a couple of bad losses but played well after that and averaged 41 points a game. But we’ve beaten them three times in a row and the last two have been 23 and 24 point blow-outs.

- Two years ago it was Marcus Sales. This year it was Prince-Tyson Gulley who had a career day with 265 yards and 3 touchdowns. Prime-Time reminds me very much of Antwan Bailey, the quick, versatile back who can run inside and out, catch a first down pass and, when the opportunity presents itself, take it to the house.

- Jerome Smith was the back who looked like he’d be In the headlines much of the game, gaining 158 yards of his own to run his season total to 1177. He’s the sort of downhill runner that does well when the conditions are bad and this was his type of day. Coach Marrone said that if you want to win in December you’ve got to be able to run the ball and the development of the running attack over the course of the season was probably the biggest reason we went from an 0-2 start and seven game losing streak to 8-3 after that.

- These things were possible because of the best offensive line we’ve had in years. Really, we dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides, out rushing the Mountaineers, 376-100 on a day when passing was very difficult, as well as scoring two safeties and stopping them on downs twice.

- Kudos to Ross Krautman, who after a somewhat shaky season, drilled two field goals and four extra points under conditions that were, to say the least, adverse. West Virginia’s one field goal attempt was, well, pretty sad looking.

- Temple’s Montiel Harris gained 351 yards rushing and scored 7TDs vs. Army. He got 106 yards and no scores against us and we won 38-20. West Virignia’s Trevon Austin turned running back vs. Oklahoma and ran for 344 yards and two scores vs. Oklahoma. Against SU he got 58 yards on no scores and we won 38-14.

- At the end of the Schwartzwalder Era, we were 2-5 in bowl games. After the Cherry Bowl we were 3-6. We are now 14-9-1. Pretty good.

- We own the Pinstripe Bowl, although if they have any more days like this to play it on, it’s likely to go the way of the Gotham Bowl .

- I guess we get to keep the Schwartzwalder Trophy.

8-5 and we arrive in the ACC

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

In defense of Ben's teams, they were playing some high quality opponents in those days and won a national championship. Different times with regards to bowl games.

In defense of Ben's teams, they were playing some high quality opponents in those days and won a national championship. Different times with regards to bowl games.

Alabama in the Orange, TCU in the Cotton, Oklahoma in the Orange, Texas in the Cotton, Miami in the Liberty, (one of 8 bowls at the time), LSU in the Sugar and Tennessee in the Gator.

Alabama in the Orange, TCU in the Cotton, Oklahoma in the Orange, Texas in the Cotton, Miami in the Liberty, (one of 8 bowls at the time), LSU in the Sugar and Tennessee in the Gator.
What always frustrated me during my time was that with the exception of Dave Sarette (don't know if I spelled right), we never had a quaterback who could throw. I remeber Walley Mahley (don't know spelling) could not throw a lick. We also seem to have trouble with passing teams.

What always frustrated me during my time was that with the exception of Dave Sarette (don't know if I spelled right), we never had a quaterback who could throw. I remeber Walley Mahley (don't know spelling) could not throw a lick. We also seem to have trouble with passing teams.

Bernie Custis, Pat Stark, Chuck Zimmerman and Rick Cassata were not bad for the time. But we certainly not a throwing team. Walley Mahle was more the norm.

The national championship team led the nation in rushing and touchdown passes. You'll never see that again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom