The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This was basically the Central Connecticut game all over again, except it was a Big East game. Rutgers had a good perimeter game, (Carter has amazing range), but nothing inside and as soon as we figured that our and extended the zone, they stopped scoring. We missed a lot of shots in the paint early. But then we hit some outside shots and we started making them inside. We also got some steals and got the transition game going.

The result was a 21-0 run to end the half, (which became a 24-0 run when MCW hit a trey to open the second half) An 18-20 deficit turned into a 42-20 lead and the game basically over.

- Brandon Triche had his best game of the year, scoring 25 points on 8 for 11 shooting, 5 for 7 from the arc and 4 for 4 from the line. He also had 6 assists from passes that opened up because he was making shots. It’s no accident that his slump coincided with the team’s slump and that we broke out of the slump when he did. MCW may be the team’s best player but this is the guy that puts us over the top.
- MCW had 12 points and 10 assists. Wash, rinse, repeat.

- CJ Fair continued his run of solid games with 15 points and even had a couple of assists on his event horizon.

- We had only 9 turnovers, a rare single digit performance this year. Last season, (with the under-appreciated Scoop Jardine at the point), we averaged 10.5 turnovers a game. This year, though the easy part of the schedule, we averaged 14.2. MCW is basketball’s Brett Favre. He maketh great plays but he throweth the ball away.

- Jerami’s Grant late-game block, trialing a fast break and reaching over the shooter to gather the ball in, (it was really more of a steal), was highlight film stuff. Even by the standards of Syracuse big men, this guy is exceptionally long and athletic- and worth the price of admission.
13-1 and seventeen to be done! (and then some!)

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

- This was basically the Central Connecticut game all over again, except it was a Big East game. Rutgers had a good perimeter game, (Carter has amazing range), but nothing inside and as soon as we figured that our and extended the zone, they stopped scoring. We missed a lot of shots in the paint early. But then we hit some outside shots and we started making them inside. We also got some steals and got the transition game going.

The result was a 21-0 run to end the half, (which became a 24-0 run when MCW hit a trey to open the second half) An 18-20 deficit turned into a 42-20 lead and the game basically over.

- Brandon Triche had his best game of the year, scoring 25 points on 8 for 11 shooting, 5 for 7 from the arc and 4 for 4 from the line. He also had 6 assists from passes that opened up because he was making shots. It’s no accident that his slump coincided with the team’s slump and that we broke out of the slump when he did. MCW may be the team’s best player but this is the guy that puts us over the top.
- MCW had 12 points and 10 assists. Wash, rinse, repeat.

- CJ Fair continued his run of solid games with 15 points and even had a couple of assists on his event horizon.

- We had only 9 turnovers, a rare single digit performance this year. Last season, (with the under-appreciated Scoop Jardine at the point), we averaged 10.5 turnovers a game. This year, though the easy part of the schedule, we averaged 14.2. MCW is basketball’s Brett Favre. He maketh great plays but he throweth the ball away.

- Jerami’s Grant late-game block, trialing a fast break and reaching over the shooter to gather the ball in, (it was really more of a steal), was highlight film stuff. Even by the standards of Syracuse big men, this guy is exceptionally long and athletic- and worth the price of admission.
13-1 and seventeen to be done! (and then some!)

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!
SWC, thanks for all your contributions to the board. Another great post.

SWC, thanks for all your contributions to the board. Another great post.

+1. Thanks for the write up, SWC. Grant's stuff was definitely the stuff highlight reels are made of, as would have been the stuff on the other end had he not been fouled. Absolutely electric! I have to admit I didn't know he was Horace's nephew until this game.

Triche had an awesome game. Obviously, he was dialed in shooting the ball, but he had several terrific assists as well.

I think he had a game earlier in the season where he had 7 assists [1 more than tonight], but this was an impressive all-around performance tonight from Triche.

+1. Thanks for the write up, SWC. Grant's stuff was definitely the stuff highlight reels are made of, as would have been the stuff on the other end had he not been fouled. Absolutely electric! I have to admit I didn't know he was Horace's nephew until this game.

And Harvey's son
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/grantha01.html

Horace:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/grantho01.html

I think he'll wind up more Horace's size but Harvey may have been the better player.

and Harvey's son...

Triche had an awesome game. Obviously, he was dialed in shooting the ball, but he had several terrific assists as well.

I think he had a game earlier in the season where he had 7 assists [1 more than tonight], but this was an impressive all-around performance tonight from Triche.
Triche was tremendous, even if you take away his three pointers. Great floor game and his handle was on point (something that has been very spotty this year). We need this all year because Cooney will be on a short leash and let's face it, is only going to contribute in very small doses this year.

I almost had a heart attack when MCW rolled his ankle.

- Brandon Triche had his best game of the year, scoring 25 points on 8 for 11 shooting, 5 for 7 from the arc and 4 for 4 from the line. He also had 6 assists from passes that opened up because he was making shots. !

Actually, this was probably Triche's best game ever, of any year.

The way Grant is playing he is going to earn some minutes in the BE sched. The guy just knows how to play the game.

CJ with two assists tonight.

In addition to not turning the ball over tonight, we didn't foul either (or at least weren't called for them). Only 13 total fouls called against us. That includes the one foul committed by Griffin Hoffman in the final minute and 3 intentional fouls we gave at the end of the first half to prevent Rutgers from getting off a good shot prior to the buzzer (seemed like a questionable strategy when you are up 18).

We were out rebounded by Rutgers tonight 38-34. Our Bigs only played a total of 44 minutes (Rak 22; DCII 9 and Keita 13) so there was only a maximum of 4 minutes where we had two on the floor at the same time. Some of the rebound deficit could be attributed to that lull where we were stuck at 18 points and just kept coming down and firing up 3s. During that stretch I think we were one and done a number of possessions in a row.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom