The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
-Big East games are tough no matter who you are playing and we need to be thankful when one goes our way as much as this one did. It’s having your date say “Let’s go over to your place”. Easy is good.

-We have now won 38 home games in a row, the longest streak in the nation and the second longest in school history. And it has been pretty easy of late. We basically swallowed whole some pretty good teams from Notre Dame (63-47), St. John’s, (77-58) and Providence (84-59), in our last few home games. Those teams looked pretty good in other games but they were no match for the Orange in the Carrier Dome.

-We were hitting our shots and Michael Carter- Williams was in his element, putting up the sort of numbers we saw early in the season when it was a case of not would he get a triple-double but when. He had “only” 5 rebounds tonight but had 15 points and 12 assists. Shooters assist the assister when they put the ball in the basket.

-CJ Fair continues to perform at an All-America level, if he were flashy enough to get anyone to notice. Here are his point and rebound totals in Big East play: 15-4, 10-10, 23-11, 22-5, 10-8, 13-6, 10-9, 20-3, 18-10, 17-9, 10-5, 19-11, and 20-10 tonight. One of the really under-rated players in the conference, the nation and SU history.

-James Southerland had an incredible first half, going 6 for 7 from the field and scoring 14 points. Like the rest of the team he cooled off in the second half but still had 20 points, 6 rebounds and 2 steals He’s come a long way from “Directional James”, who used to put up big numbers in November and December and then fade badly once the competition got tough. Matt Park noted that our backcourt is mentioned as one of the best in the nation but how about our two forwards? Who has a better pair than them?

-For a team with no inside game and a sub-par outside game, we’ve done pretty well. A big reason, of course, is that this team plays defense very well. There are two things you can do on defense: make ‘em miss and get the ball. We do the first very well, both outside and inside the arc. We are not a great rebounding team but with 6-4 and 6-5 guards who pitch in, we are actually a pretty good one. And we force turnovers: We are +109 on the season. Wouldn’t Doug Marrone have loved that?

22-4 with 5 and more to be done.

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Loved the emphasis in the first half of getting CJ the ball close to the basket and letting him create. Really effective to help space the floor.

Great write up once again. Thanks!

Loved the emphasis in the first half of getting CJ the ball close to the basket and letting him create. Really effective to help space the floor.

Great write up once again. Thanks!

In two of the last three games, the team has run the "53" play for CJ a couple of times (Seton Hall played a lot of match-up zone; the play's design is not effective against zone defenses). Each time has led to a score. Most teams don't have a 3-man that can defend CJ on the block in space. I actually wonder why Coach B doesn't run this set more often against man-to-man defenses.

In two of the last three games, the team has run the "53" play for CJ a couple of times (Seton Hall played a lot of match-up zone; the play's design is not effective against zone defenses). Each time has led to a score. Most teams don't have a 3-man that can defend CJ on the block in space. I actually wonder why Coach B doesn't run this set more often against man-to-man defenses.

I'd love to hear you break down that play. Is it when CJ comes off a curl with a path towards the basket?

CJ, James, and Triche are nearly automatic with a mid-range J in the lane. I'd love to see more plays that lead to that shot. It's mighty hard to stop a 6'8" guy that can hit a little jumper from 12-15 ft.

CJ, James, and Triche are nearly automatic with a mid-range J in the lane. I'd love to see more plays that lead to that shot. It's mighty hard to stop a 6'8" guy that can hit a little jumper from 12-15 ft.

What a concept. I believe what you are referring to is that nearly extinct creature called the mid-range game. Not seen in these parts since the retirement of Rip Hamilton.

What a concept. I believe what you are referring to is that nearly extinct creature called the mid-range game. Not seen in these parts since the retirement of Rip Hamilton.

Two pointers that go in count more than three pointers that don't. Just sayin' :cool:

Two pointers that go in count more than three pointers that don't. Just sayin' :cool:

Agreed and it's such a simple concept that seemingly everyone on the college and high school level have forgotten. Heck, my 9 year old squad of CYOers to be had at least three kids (including my chucker son) who kept wanting to jack up the threes all the time. I solved that by telling the score keepers to just not award them 3 points if on the off chance they actually made one of them. And then immediately substituted if they did take the shot.

I'd love to hear you break down that play. Is it when CJ comes off a curl with a path towards the basket?

Not exactly. The play you describe where CJ curls toward the basket is our "3" play (though it can also be the "2" play, depending on for whom the play is designed. Both plays have the wings cutting off baseline down screens, allowing the players to curl, straight cut, or fade depending on how the defense plays the action. Then, based on the first pass, we have pick and roll options off of it.

The "53" is named that because the 5-man screens for the 3-man. Actually, both the 4-man and 5-man screen for the 3-man.

To start the play, the 1-man at the top of the key hits the 2-man on the wing. The 4-man sets a back screen for the 3-man, who starts at the weak-side wing. The 3-man cuts parallel to the baseline toward the opposite (which is the strong-side) block. Along the way, the 5-man sets what is basically a cross screen (since the 3-man is now cutting across the lane from the 4-man's spot) for the 3-man in the middle of the lane. Essentially, the 3-man is receiving staggered screens from the 4-man and 5-man. The 3-man posts on the strong-side block, where he should receive the pass, or he can catch a little further out and face up with space to operate if he is that type of player.

While this action happens, the 1-man slides toward the weak-side wing area (but not all the way to the wing) to balance the floor. After setting his screen, the 4-man cuts to the free-throw area to space the lane, and the 5-man occupies the weak-side block area (I think it actually works better if he occupies the weak-side short corner--this provides more space for the 3-man to operate and stresses the defense more).

The pass to the 3-man is made by the team's best shooter (ideally) so that, should his defender double the 3-man, he can slide open for an open three-pointer.

If the 5-man's defender doubles the 3-man, the 5-man should be open for a pass or should have excellent position for weak-side rebounding (This is why I prefer the weak-side short corner for the 5-man--it forces his defender to cover more ground in the play). If the 5-man's defender doubles and the 1-man's defender drops to cover the 5-man, the 1-man will be wide open if the 3-man sees him diagonally, and the 5-man will still have a mismatch in the post area.

If the defense doubles the 3-man with the 4-man's defender, then the 4-man is open for a 15-footer or a drive.

If the best shooter is the point guard/1-man (like when we had G-Mac), then we want him feeding the 3-man. This is a simple adjustment. The 1-man can just dribble to the opposite wing to start the play. The 2-man would circle cut to the top of the key and then slide toward the opposite wing, replacing the 1.

What if the 3-man isn't open off the initial stagger screens? No problem. The 5-man cross screens for the 3-again, who cuts to the opposite block. As this happens, the ball is reversed from the 2-man to the 4-man at the top of the key to the 1-man on the opposite side of the floor (or the 2-man if the 1-man dribbled to the wing to start the play). The 3-man will post on the block, and the 1-man will feed him. After feeding the 3-man, the 1-man can spot-up if his defender looks to double, or he can cut toward the opposite wing, perhaps setting a screen for the 2-man.

Though not really a part of our offense, one thing I would add to get more movement on the reversal is having the 4-man down screen for the 5-man after he reverses the ball. The 5-man then cuts to the free-throw line area, the 4-man fades to the weak-side block/short corner, and we have the same set up as before, just on the opposite side of the floor.

I hope this breakdown helps. :)

Not exactly. The play you describe where CJ curls toward the basket is our "3" play (though it can also be the "2" play, depending on for whom the play is designed. Both plays have the wings cutting off baseline down screens, allowing the players to curl, straight cut, or fade depending on how the defense plays the action. Then, based on the first pass, we have pick and roll options off of it.

The "53" is named that because the 5-man screens for the 3-man. Actually, both the 4-man and 5-man screen for the 3-man.

To start the play, the 1-man at the top of the key hits the 2-man on the wing. The 4-man sets a back screen for the 3-man, who starts at the weak-side wing. The 3-man cuts parallel to the baseline toward the opposite (which is the strong-side) block. Along the way, the 5-man sets what is basically a cross screen (since the 3-man is now cutting across the lane from the 4-man's spot) for the 3-man in the middle of the lane. Essentially, the 3-man is receiving staggered screens from the 4-man and 5-man. The 3-man posts on the strong-side block, where he should receive the pass, or he can catch a little further out and face up with space to operate if he is that type of player.

While this action happens, the 1-man slides toward the weak-side wing area (but not all the way to the wing) to balance the floor. After setting his screen, the 4-man cuts to the free-throw area to space the lane, and the 5-man occupies the weak-side block area (I think it actually works better if he occupies the weak-side short corner--this provides more space for the 3-man to operate and stresses the defense more).

The pass to the 3-man is made by the team's best shooter (ideally) so that, should his defender double the 3-man, he can slide open for an open three-pointer.

If the 5-man's defender doubles the 3-man, the 5-man should be open for a pass or should have excellent position for weak-side rebounding (This is why I prefer the weak-side short corner for the 5-man--it forces his defender to cover more ground in the play). If the 5-man's defender doubles and the 1-man's defender drops to cover the 5-man, the 1-man will be wide open if the 3-man sees him diagonally, and the 5-man will still have a mismatch in the post area.

If the defense doubles the 3-man with the 4-man's defender, then the 4-man is open for a 15-footer or a drive.

If the best shooter is the point guard/1-man (like when we had G-Mac), then we want him feeding the 3-man. This is a simple adjustment. The 1-man can just dribble to the opposite wing to start the play. The 2-man would circle cut to the top of the key and then slide toward the opposite wing, replacing the 1.

What if the 3-man isn't open off the initial stagger screens? No problem. The 5-man cross screens for the 3-again, who cuts to the opposite block. As this happens, the ball is reversed from the 2-man to the 4-man at the top of the key to the 1-man on the opposite side of the floor (or the 2-man if the 1-man dribbled to the wing to start the play). The 3-man will post on the block, and the 1-man will feed him. After feeding the 3-man, the 1-man can spot-up if his defender looks to double, or he can cut toward the opposite wing, perhaps setting a screen for the 2-man.

Though not really a part of our offense, one thing I would add to get more movement on the reversal is having the 4-man down screen for the 5-man after he reverses the ball. The 5-man then cuts to the free-throw line area, the 4-man fades to the weak-side block/short corner, and we have the same set up as before, just on the opposite side of the floor.

I hope this breakdown helps. :)

You had me at "Not Exactly". :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom