The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Tacos! I only hope the meat is real.

- We needed a win badly. We looked bad but got one. Maybe we’ve bottomed out and can now build on this.

- The efficiency was not there but the effort always was. That’s a good sing moving forward.

- Jimmy started James Southerland, I think for the first time in his career, although he said in the presser he wasn’t trying to be nice: he thought Jerami might be more comfortable coming off the bench. Jim explained that we are facing so many zones he feels James has to be in there: Jerami would play more if we were facing man-man defenses. James had the first double-double of his career with 22 points and 10 rebounds, although a lot of those rebounds were essentially passes to himself as they were off his own missed shots. Still, it was quite a way to go out for the player his teammates call “Dirty”. He was 11 for 11 at the foul line, one of the best games form the stripe an Orangeman has ever had.

- We had four guys in double figures, including 15 points from Brandon Triche, a guy who has trouble finding the basket. Maybe that will get him going.

- Rakeem Christmas, as JB pointed out, was actually the key to the 15 point run that gave us the lead for good in the first half, starting it with a jump shot from the top of the key that took the tour and then getting 3 blocks and 3 rebounds. JB had dreams of what it would be like if he could play the whole game like that. He had 6 points, 6 rebounds and 5 blocks and Baye Keita added 4-4-1. We need that every game, guys!

- Michael Carter-Williams seems to have stepped back into the role of a distributor with 10 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists. There were times I actually wanted him to be more aggressive. He seemed to have a few open lanes to the basket but was looking for someone to pass too.

- Defense doesn’t win games but it keeps you in them and gives you a chance to win. Sports Illustrated has a special basketball issue out there I was reading during the game. It had an article on what to look for as you fill out your NCAA brackets. One of the key points: “Mediocre defense is a red flag…teams with strong interior defenses are the best bets to advance deep in March. Defense that thrive on locking down the three point line or creating turnovers are more volatile over a six game stretch. “ Sounds like a good zone will help and we certainly have one.

23-7 with 1 and more to be done.

LET’S GO ORANGE!

I will gladly take 10-10-6 from our center position every game if we can get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom