The View From 331: Rutgers | Syracusefan.com

The View From 331: Rutgers

DoubleDee

All American
( Please bear with me as I try something new for me. I have often considered doing a post game round up of my day at the game, but by no means a "My Take" like Tom. This is not about the game, but rather the experience. Hopefully satirical. And hey who knows, you might get lucky and this will also be the last :) )

First, the game itself. There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said a full day later. Horrid.

Overall, the Quad was okay all things considered. My son and I got a picture with DC on the walk up when we saw him in front of the Sheraton. Should have known it would go downhill from there. We got into the Quad about 11:30 and headed straight to the Covid tent. Substantial line, but moved quick. I knew I didn't want to get there too late, not knowing how that would play out. Now we know we can go our normal amount of time before kick-off. Not a lot going on out there compared to normal, so we just waited for the band, and as usual we watched the drumline warm up as I am an old drummer and marcher, and my son takes percussion as well. As great as the drumlines have been recently, this years crew have some serious tightening up to do. It sounded like 28 instead of 1. Maybe a couple too many drinks Friday night? Who knows. The band is exceptionally smaller than normal, though I know a lot are thrilled there are 12 sousaphones. Still, always fun to watch pre-game.

After entering the Dome, I passed an elderly gentlemen being pushed in a wheelchair. A half-dressed student passed in front of him, and he said "goddam I love this country!" My head swung around to look down at him, and he just smiles at me. All I could do was laugh. Highlight of his day I'm guessing.

I have had the privilege to be in the NEW Dome two times prior to this, but not all was done. The concourses look amazing. Everything is freshly painted Orange, Blue, and White and lit with all new LEDs. It is so crisp, bright, colorful and refreshing. It's as if it is brand new.

I'm seeing mixed reviews, but for me the concessions were great. Smooth, efficient, easy. My only complaint is even though we FINALLY have Orange Crush in the Dome, it is only available at certain spots in the lower bowl only.

Student section was full early, and loud. Good for them. Hopefully the loss doesn't keep them away.

Most people were fairly masked up, at least when they were up and moving about the stadium. Didn't bother me either way.

The lights in the Dome seem to be an issue with a lot of people. My POV is that if I'm watching girls on the beach, I ain't looking up at the sun. The field and game itself is beautifully lit. Stop looking at the lights.

The intro video as the guys were making their way to the tunnel was stellar. New clips, old clips, lots of hype, well filmed, and finished with something like "THIS IS OUR HOUSE, AND WE. WILL. DEFEND. IT." Pretty awesome. At least until they didn't defend it.

As long as we're talking video, lets talk sound system. Jiminy Christmas, who do we have to know around here to actually get a good sound system? Please don't anyone ever mention the exact dollar amount attached to that sound system. It is, AT BEST, just as bad as the old one. Horrible during videos. Too loud and muffled during music. Can hardly hear the PA announcer. Like you know someone is talking, but can't make it out. Every video was disappointing because even though you were watching it, you really didn't know what was going on. I know JW, Pete, and other powers that be were present yesterday. I have to believe they can hear this audible nightmare. If they are super busy during a game, someone please tell them to stop for 5 minutes and really listen to this thing. Someone should be on the phone today, and having it resolved this week. Painful.

I know the wifi did not yet get the upgrade, but it worked well for me yesterday.

And back to loud and muffled music... LET THE BAND PLAY!! This is something that has bothered me for years. Why are we choosing muddled pop crap, over the true sounds of college football? Hell, why are these kids joining SUMB anymore? All they do is sit there until it's time to move to the field. It isn't right. Watch other games across the country. You can hear the bands between every play coming right over the broadcast. LET THE BAND PLAY, and ditch the canned music.

Pretty uneventful as far as stories to tell. Small crowd = less crazy people to talk about. But I'll leave you with this:

The high cost of tuition at Syracuse, is really starting to become obvious when you walk around campus and the game. These poor girls can't even afford bras anymore.

LGO

After entering the Dome, I passed an elderly gentlemen being pushed in a wheelchair. A half-dressed student passed in front of him, and he said "goddam I love this country!" My head swung around to look down at him, and he just smiles at me. All I could do was laugh. Highlight of his day I'm guessing.
That was you? You should have said “hello!”

Liked your write up but have to disagree about the lights. In the lower level they are in your eyes. I put a hat on to alleviate it but it didn’t help because they are below the brim of the hat. A lot of people in my section were complaining about it as well as the worse than before sound system.

Liked your write up but have to disagree about the lights. In the lower level they are in your eyes. I put a hat on to alleviate it but it didn’t help because they are below the brim of the hat. A lot of people in my section were complaining about it as well as the worse than before sound system.
Yes, I’m aware to a degree as I sat low for lacrosse. I think I have heard that there may be some fine tuning going on.

I sat in the lower bowl for fan fest. When I looked up at the pennants, the lights were blinding. In my regular seats in 333 , row A, I could look at the pennants just fine.

The female students’ outfits were, ummm, interesting. All those orange bikini tops.

I got home, gave my 7 year old daughter a big hug and said sorry you’re never going outside ever again.

The female students’ outfits were, ummm, interesting. All those orange bikini tops.

I got home, gave my 7 year old daughter a big hug and said sorry you’re never going outside ever again.
My buddy and I attended the game - we graduated less than 15 years ago. Couldn’t believe the attire the night before or game. It was like Halloween - we only got that once a year when we’re at CUSE and an occasional themed party night. When did this become an everyday thing?

One young lady had what I’m pretty sure was not a bandana print top, but rather perhaps an actual bandana. Lots of side views yesterday.

another thing that shocked me yesterday was after the game, the trash and red solo cups on the ground behind and alongside campus hill apartments at 507 University Ave was unreal. Frickin slobs. Who picks that up?

I loved loved LOVED this write up! Please do one for every game.

Do you have season basketball tickets? :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom