"The Washington Post"takes a sharp look at I-81 history in Syracuse ... | Syracusefan.com

"The Washington Post"takes a sharp look at I-81 history in Syracuse ...

cto

Administrator
I was an SU student in the early 1960s... and totally unaware this was happening at the time. It was before the age of "student activism" that began at Cal-Berkley a few years later. I am sure it would have been different had it been proposed today

I saw this story this morning. I didn’t get to Syracuse until 1984. Also, didn’t understand all the aspects that this story laid out. I worked with a man, Frank Woolever, who was very active socially, but only at his funeral at St. Lucy’s did I understand the extent of his activism and passionate interest in social justice. I saw a newspaper photo of him linking arms with fellow protestors in front of the bulldozer that was going to raze housing to make way for the overpass. (He also wrote a book on Gandhi.)

At any rate, this would be a great time to do many things different and better. I hope that is possible. Maybe SU could be a part of that process.

For a couple years now there's been a WaPo reporter popping up at a number of NYSDOT events around the county. Now we know why.

"Reparations" is obviously a loaded word. Beyond that, this is good exposure.

Why is this on the basketball board?

It is on a SYRACUSE basketball board because I thought it would be of interest to people who care about Syracuse University and who otherwise would not have seen it. Also, the subject line was purposely very descriptive. If one did not want to read it, there was no reason to click on it.

Last edited:
Well-written.
However:

A legendary news person for whom I used to work and who is a great friend used to run a news operation in New York.
He had a sign over the door that said, "There are at least two sides to every story. How any did you get?"
Perhaps the Washington Post could use a similar sign.

Well-written.
However:

A legendary news person for whom I used to work and who is a great friend used to run a news operation in New York.
He had a sign over the door that said, "There are at least two sides to every story. How any did you get?"
Perhaps the Washington Post could use a similar sign.
These days, there is another concern--false equivalency.