The way we scored | Syracusefan.com

The way we scored

florange44

Scout Team
Great win! I can't remember a game where we scored so much from outside and had so little on the drive. Although I do acknowledge AWhite's couple of nice drives. Seemed like everything else was from outside. We haven't had a team with 3-4 shooters like this ever. Really opens the middle for Battle drives. We'll see more of that. Fun offense to watch when we shoot like that.

Florange44

I thought we settled for jumpers way too much. Part of this was NC St either going under screens or just refusing to play up on us even on first shots off of no pass. This was horrific D by both teams. Nobody drove til the end of game to preserve the win. Battle tried twice I think. Once he pushed off against Rowan and the second time he got blocked by Rowan. He probably would've made it if he used the left hand. I don't think Lydon got the ball any of the times he had Rowan on him. Fortunately the shooting stayed hot. I don't think JB will let them get too high after this game. He wasn't very pleased in the presser.

Last edited:
I think I said early in the season that teams who let us shoot from outside are inviting trouble. We have 3 point shooters. We don't have many scorers at the rim.

NC State had a pretty terrible defensive gameplan last night.

Great win! I can't remember a game where we scored so much from outside and had so little on the drive. Although I do acknowledge AWhite's couple of nice drives. Seemed like everything else was from outside. We haven't had a team with 3-4 shooters like this ever. Really opens the middle for Battle drives. We'll see more of that. Fun offense to watch when we shoot like that.

Florange44

I agree that watching the offense last night was fun.

Statistically, though, that form of offense is definitely not sustainable. We need to find a way to get more inside-out offense.

Also, NC St. ranks 149th in Opponent Effective Field Goal %. We check in at 102. In short, neither team plays good defense, which explains the offensive display last night.

Surprisingly, Florida St. is 24th. It's clear that they struggled to contain Gillon on Saturday, forcing them to help off other players. They also had problems with Berry when they played UNC. Likewise, Okogie on Georgia Tech torched them. If this trend holds up, they'll likely have trouble if they run into a team with a playmaking guard in the NCAA tournament.

We are bad defensively. Worst defensive team since Flynn and Devo were at the top of the zone. This team is pretty similar to that one.

Last night seemed especially bad. Gillon, who played tremendously on the other end, seemed to be half asleep with his slides. The rest of the squad wasn't better. It was definitely different than what we saw against Fl St.

When was the last time Anya had two or three dunks in a game?

Last night seemed especially bad. Gillon, who played tremendously on the other end, seemed to be half asleep with his slides. The rest of the squad wasn't better. It was definitely different than what we saw against Fl St.

Part of the reason Saturday looked better is that Florida St.'s best offensive threat to our zone missed a large chunk of the first half. Their other "great" player does very little to affect a game if he's not scoring. Without Isaac drawing attention, Bacon was easier to defend.

Dennis Smith Jr., unlike Bacon, obviously imposes his will on the game even when he's not scoring. Fortunately, NC St. plays defense even worse than we do.

Part of the reason Saturday looked better is that Florida St.'s best offensive threat to our zone missed a large chunk of the first half. Their other "great" player does very little to affect a game if he's not scoring. Without Isaac drawing attention, Bacon was easier to defend.

Dennis Smith Jr., unlike Bacon, obviously imposes his will on the game even when he's not scoring. Fortunately, NC St. plays defense even worse than we do.

Yup. Florida St didn't even wake up til the 2H as well. Our interior defense seemed much better and gave a much better effort it seemed vs FSU. Smith is terrific but probably at least half of his assists went to wide open Wolfpack around the basket that we just lost sight of. Smith is also better playmaker than XRM on FSU.

There was a huge effort difference on defense between Saturday and Last night. This has been evident all year at home vs on the road. I'm not sure if the team gets up because of the crowd or what it is, but it's noticeable watching. It was the same with Miami, BC, Pitt etc...

I will say playing at NC State is like playing at a high school gym. People like to pick on the dome, but that arena was pretty empty last night

Yup. Florida St didn't even wake up til the 2H as well. Our interior defense seemed much better and gave a much better effort it seemed vs FSU. Smith is terrific but probably at least half of his assists went to wide open Wolfpack around the basket that we just lost sight of.

True. I'll add Smith also rebounds well for a 6'3" (cough cough) player. The kid possesses solid skills, though I don't think he's a great defender yet. I'm glad it's likely he probably won't be there next year.

To be fair, FSU really doesn't have the fundamentally skilled bigs that can play like Abu and Yurtseven. That is part of why we looked better against them. Add to that Smith's vision, and it results in a less effective defensive effort.

There was a huge effort difference on defense between Saturday and Last night. This has been evident all year at home vs on the road. I'm not sure if the team gets up because of the crowd or what it is, but it's noticeable watching. It was the same with Miami, BC, Pitt etc...

I will say playing at NC State is like playing at a high school gym. People like to pick on the dome, but that arena was pretty empty last night

Much of the top level seemed pretty empty but that's a still a 19,000 + seat semi-modern pro hockey arena, no? Seemed pretty amped during parts of the game. I would guess 10-12K there still. If we were ranked or whatever it would've been a larger crowd I'm sure.

Much of the top level seemed pretty empty but that's a still a 19,000 + seat semi-modern pro hockey arena, no? Seemed pretty amped during parts of the game. I would guess 10-12K there still. If we were ranked or whatever it would've been a larger crowd I'm sure.

It is, but I don't think we have had as little as 10-12K since the early 1980's. Just shows how spoiled we are even when we don't have our typical great team. What's the selling point of playing there? They are the 3rd or 4th best program in the state. The coach is a below average P5 coach.

It is, but I don't think we have had as little as 10-12K since the early 1980's. Just shows how spoiled we are even when we don't have our typical great team. What's the selling point of playing there? They are the 3rd or 4th best program in the state. The coach is a below average P5 coach.

No question. It goes both ways though. 19K-20K in the cavernous Dome is a morgue though, IMO. But, to your point, that is still great attendance and support. I totally agree where they are as a program just didn't view the place as a high school gym vibe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom