The Week 1 to Week 2 Myth | Syracusefan.com

The Week 1 to Week 2 Myth

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
I've long thought the cliche that teams improve a lot from week 1 to week 2 is nothing but a myth. While they may well improve over the course of a season, they do not magically improve after one game.

Teams improve dramatically when there is some tangible event, such as Pugh returning to the OL last season. SU will improve dramatically in week 2 only if something very different is done on offense.

You're probably right. But I got the sense that SU's biggest shortcomings on Saturday were simply being out of synch...QB to WRs...coaches to QB...within the OL...etc. Those seem like things that can be addressed with some improvement from game 1 to game 2. But yes, you're right, Jim Brown ain't walking through that door. In fairness, though, I don't think talent was really an issue on Saturday. Game experience for everyone involved will be critical for this team. Lots of new roles.

It's all about fixing the most glaring mistakes. Doesn't necessarily mean we'll execute better, but we should be able to address the problems of miscommunication, specifically between OC to sideline to QB, and QB to WR. Not necessarily going to help Allen throw his sideline passes where they can be caught in bounds, that's more of a over the course of the season thing (I hope).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

I've long thought the cliche that teams improve a lot from week 1 to week 2 is nothing but a myth. While they may well improve over the course of a season, they do not magically improve after one game.

Teams improve dramatically when there is some tangible event, such as Pugh returning to the OL last season. SU will improve dramatically in week 2 only if something very different is done on offense.

Hopefully, there are some exceptions to that "myth." Like the game 1 to game 2 improvements that could be possible following a first time head coach, a new OC, and new QB who has not had to manage a game (including a no huddle system) since 5 years ago in HS.

Let's see how the next couple of games play out...

I think we'll see more scripted plays by McD and possibly someone else calling them in from the sideline.

Seemed that we never took into account that we might get stuffed running on first down. That fact that we repeatedly did seemed to never be accounted for. Hopefully we see a bit more off tackle, a few more QB keepers, and some post/curl/dig routes.

We now have film on ourselves and the OC will now have a better idea how to handle gameday play calling and sideline issues. I'll give him a pass in week 1 but hopefully it improves a lot by next week. The ~20,000 NW fans shouldn't make crowd noise an issue.

I think we'll see more scripted plays by McD and possibly someone else calling them in from the sideline.

Seemed that we never took into account that we might get stuffed running on first down. That fact that we repeatedly did seemed to never be accounted for. Hopefully we see a bit more off tackle, a few more QB keepers, and some post/curl/dig routes.

We now have film on ourselves and the OC will now have a better idea how to handle gameday play calling and sideline issues. I'll give him a pass in week 1 but hopefully it improves a lot by next week. The ~20,000 NW fans shouldn't make crowd noise an issue.

Fwiw even though we only had 3 points in the first 20 minutes the offense actually looked pretty good. Allen was 6-8 at 1 time, and I felt we were doing a good job establishing the run. Smith was also getting a bulk of the carries here. I totally believe McDonald came out prepared, but what hurt us was when PSU made some adjustments we didn't respond well. They started really packing the box, and stopped giving us the short stuff, forcing us to beat them over the top. I totally agree with you about now having tape on ourselves, and how that will benefit us. Some of these people need to relax a bit, it was his first time calling plays in a long time, and there were enough positives early to give us hope. I only expect improvements.

It sucks we couldn't keep the same playbook as last year. We never should've switched. I'm sure gmac wants to have his own identity but it took 10 plus years to find a style that worked and then we start from scratch. I have no faith in the offense we've installed. I hope I am wrong but at least after nw last year, I was excited.

Fwiw even though we only had 3 points in the first 20 minutes the offense actually looked pretty good. Allen was 6-8 at 1 time, and I felt we were doing a good job establishing the run. Smith was also getting a bulk of the carries here. I totally believe McDonald came out prepared, but what hurt us was when PSU made some adjustments we didn't respond well. They started really packing the box, and stopped giving us the short stuff, forcing us to beat them over the top. I totally agree with you about now having tape on ourselves, and how that will benefit us. Some of these people need to relax a bit, it was his first time calling plays in a long time, and there were enough positives early to give us hope. I only expect improvements.

Fair point but how were we not prepared for Penn State to pack the box? That was always going to be the gameplan for them and why we needed to crank a few more deep over the middle. Still have no idea why we didnt run left more since our 2 biggest runs went that way.

Fair point but how were we not prepared for Penn State to pack the box? That was always going to be the gameplan for them and why we needed to crank a few more deep over the middle. Still have no idea why we didnt run left more since our 2 biggest runs went that way.

i'm pretty sure a lot of the inside runs we got stuffed on were to the left, but Trudo was having a hard time with Jones. The ones to the outside were actually a lot better. I'm not sure why we didn't keep running Smith? He was having a big day, and then barely played in the 3rd quarter. PSU was very tough up the middle, luckily other then FSU we shouldn't see a run defense that good all year.

There are a lot of teachable fixes that just could not be simulated in practice. I think people just get too involved in semantics or cliches...is it the biggest improvement, who knows. I do know that this team has an opportunity to improve and has to seize that while still being able to adjust to a whole different type of team with different strengths to play next Saturday night.

More specifically, I think the staff thought we'd have much more success running up the middle from the pistol formation. That was called quite a bit, and until Jerome's 10 yard gain later in the 4th, I don't think we ever got more than 3 yards on it.

This week's gameplan will be a lot more prepared for 2nd/3rd and long. Not sure if it will make a difference, but I'd at least expect more plays designed to get bigger chunks. No 3rd and long quick outs to Flemming and expecting him to be the type of WR that makes the first guy miss and then he's gone.

Here's your week 1 to week 2 jump: Communication will be fixed. Oline will have a pedestrian D line to deal with. The crowd will be 20,000 with no students. Every game you can get better, if you pay attention. I think SS and co. pay attention.

What I hope for is the defense focuses on N.W. while the offense focuses on MacDonald and his system

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom