The WR's may have been bad but the DB's were terrible | Syracusefan.com

The WR's may have been bad but the DB's were terrible

Don

2nd String
I know they had two picks and a fumble recovery that should have been a touchdown but to give up 70 percent completions and two longer TD passes to an offense who has exactly one decent weapon is disgusting. The front seven was great yesterday but the DB's were mediocre at best if that. To much cushion to receivers that except for Robinson are not as good as ours is inexcusable, Whats more inexcusable is to let there one weapon and threat run by you like you were a deer in the headlights, I mean he was the one guy who could beat us in the passing game .

It will be a long season against teams with good offensive talent on the field if the DB's cant do a better job of covering even one threat. And im still flabbergasted that Reddish was caught but thats another story

I know they had two picks and a fumble recovery that should have been a touchdown but to give up 70 percent completions and two longer TD passes to an offense who has exactly one decent weapon is disgusting. The front seven was great yesterday but the DB's were mediocre at best if that. To much cushion to receivers that except for Robinson are not as good as ours is inexcusable, Whats more inexcusable is to let there one weapon and threat run by you like you were a deer in the headlights, I mean he was the one guy who could beat us in the passing game .

It will be a long season against teams with good offensive talent on the field if the DB's cant do a better job of covering even one threat. And im still flabbergasted that Reddish was caught but thats another story
Sorry dude but we weren't playing the poor children of the blind. The defense more than did its part PSU was 1-15 on third down so the secondary must have done something right. You forget about how many more chances they got becuse our offense was so poor.

The completion percentage was largely the result of bubble screens.

It wasn't like Robinson was a unknown. To start the 2nd half the guys from Cuse were playing like they were afraid to cover and tackle him. We know the guy is good, but you need to be prepared for that.

Our db's were fine until Robinson showed up. He was the difference in the game and will be one of the best wr's we face all year with Watkins being the other.

Penn State had 142 yards at halftime, the issue was that we only had 112.

I think inconsistency is a good word to use. I know it is a new year but USC had two threats of the same caliber last year and it seemed like we were more prepared. As soon as Robinson stepped onto the field, our defense appeared lost. I know Robinson is a great player but he shouldn't have had as much of an effect as he did.

Robinson had 77 catches for over 1000+ yards it wasn't like he's some average player. We got burned on a bubble screen...A good fake bubble screen go long and too much attention to Robinson when they hit Lewis. I thought the db's were solid and Hackensburg had to either look off his #1 target or throw out of bounds due to very good coverage.

disagree dbs were very good for the most part our problems were on offense

DB's were fine. Pass rush without blitzing on the other hand is a concern.

When you have to blitz, no doubt you leave your DB's in a tough position if the blitz doesn't get there.

I thought pass coverage was great, but allowing a frosh QB to work through some reads and have a clean pocket is going to make your DB's look bad on occasion. I actually thought our DB's were more opportunistic then they were last year.

I don't see how anyone can criticize our defense. They played great and will be one of the best defenses in the ACC. When your offense is an abject disaster it's going to put your defense in positions where they let up a score here and there no matter how good they are.

the db's dont decide when to play a cushion. they didnt miss many tackles, create a few TO's and played well.. the two long td's passes were the big mistakes. mist of the other stuff was by design or mistakes on coverage by the LBs

Did the DB's make a mistake here or there? Sure. Our bigger issue is the same as last year. We don't have a consistent pass rush from DE. That'll make your DB's look worse than they are.

well I think this game kind of shows how bad either our coverage scheme is or how bad our coverage skills are, terrible

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom