There is nothing so beautiful in basketball | Syracusefan.com

There is nothing so beautiful in basketball

SWC75

Bored Historian
...as a team that really knows how to pass the ball. It's so much better than drives from 30 feet out.

And three pointers are so much more accurate if the pass comes from the inside out. the shooters are already squared to the basket. They don't need to turn to catch the ball and turn back to shoot it.

I don't remember a team with this much separation from the rest of the field except maybe that Tarkanian UNLV team many moons ago. Michigan beating Nova tomorrow night would be similar to when Nova beat GTown.

I don't remember a team with this much separation from the rest of the field except maybe that Tarkanian UNLV team many moons ago. Michigan beating Nova tomorrow night would be similar to when Nova beat GTown.

Not really. Gtown was an 8 pt favorite over Nova, and was pre shot clock era with much lower scoring so that 8 pts would be double digits in today's game. Nova is only 6.5 pt favorites over Michigan

The UNC team in'09 covered the spread easily all 6 of their games. A squad full of NBA-level upperclassmen who decided to come back to win a title.

...as a team that really knows how to pass the ball. It's so much better than drives from 30 feet out.

And three pointers are so much more accurate if the pass comes from the inside out. the shooters are already squared to the basket. They don't need to turn to catch the ball and turn back to shoot it.

Watching Loyola’s constant offensive movement was awesome. Everyone passing, moving and unafraid to drive the basket and shoot or pass it off. I enjoyed it and I’m jealous also of a center with back to the basket skills

Our offense is outdated.

Our offense is tailored to the personnel we have and the personnel we don't have. Just the way it is. This year we had a lot of "don't have". We didn't have an inside game, and we didn't have shooters. And, we had one good passer (Marek). Hard to run a clean, crisp offense without the components. The Andy Rautins era teams were a joy to watch, and I don't think JB teaches offense any differently now than then. Thankfully he knows how to do the best with what he has, even if it's ugly.

That said, I'm sick of seeing us look like asss on offense while teams like BC have an inside out game with shooters.

Our offense is tailored to the personnel we have and the personnel we don't have. Just the way it is. This year we had a lot of "don't have". We didn't have an inside game, and we didn't have shooters. And, we had one good passer (Marek). Hard to run a clean, crisp offense without the components. The Andy Rautins era teams were a joy to watch, and I don't think JB teaches offense any differently now than then. Thankfully he knows how to do the best with what he has, even if it's ugly.

That said, I'm sick of seeing us look like asss on offense while teams like BC have an inside out game with shooters.

I think even the team we had this year could have been taught to look for open teammates more than we did. And using Dolezaj as an intermediate passer more would have helped as well. I hope to see more of those things this year.

Nova was an 8 seed that lost 7 out of 13 games prior to the NCAA tourney. Michigan is a 3 seed the hasn't lost a game since early February. Each team's trajectory into the tournament and general expectations were totally different.

I think Georgetown beats Nova in 1985 9 out of 10 times, where Nova beats Michigan this year about 7 out of 10 times, which is a huge difference.

Nova was an 8 seed that lost 7 out of 13 games prior to the NCAA tourney. Michigan is a 3 seed the hasn't lost a game since early February. Each team's trajectory into the tournament and general expectations were totally different.

I think Georgetown beats Nova in 1985 9 out of 10 times, where Nova beats Michigan this year about 7 out of 10 times, which is a huge difference.
No shot clock in 1985.
It’s not 9 out of 10 without a shotclock.
If each posssession you could take 90 seconds off the game clock it’s not crazy to win as long as you make shots which they did.

The no shot clock taints that game for me but it’s forgotten.
Villanova only took 28 shots in the whole game in 1985.
That game pushed the shot clock into the game in 1986.

No shot clock in 1985.
It’s not 9 out of 10 without a shotclock.
If each posssession you could take 90 seconds off the game clock it’s not crazy to win as long as you make shots which they did.

The no shot clock taints that game for me but it’s forgotten.
Villanova only took 28 shots in the whole game in 1985.
That game pushed the shot clock into the game in 1986.
I think the shot clock was coming, with or without that specific game.