There were signs | Syracusefan.com

There were signs

cuseguy

Living Legend
I don’t think I’m alone when I say there were ominous signs that last night’s performance was a good possibility.

SU was generally lackluster in its two exhibition games and first two regular season games. We weren’t shooting well. We had difficulty with Moorehead’s quick guards. It was also concerning to see UConn make 12 3s in its previous game.

Hopefully we see a different team today.

I don’t think I’m alone when I say there were ominous signs that last night’s performance was a good possibility.

SU was generally lackluster in its two exhibition games and first two regular season games. We weren’t shooting well. We had difficulty with Moorehead’s quick guards. It was also concerning to see UConn make 12 3s in its previous game.

Hopefully we see a different team today.

Unfortunately your right. After last Sat's game and watching Uconn's two games I had a feeling we were going to be in for a tough game if Frank was unable to play. Last Sat's game was a very ominous sign. Still struggling to finish in close (especially Oshae) and shooting remains abysmal. I am also beyond disillusioned with the Center position. Chukwu was horrific yesterday and was dominated by a guy Uconn tried to essentially cut last year. Sidibe looks like he weighs 100 pounds and haven't seen anything overly positive save for that one game against a god awful Pitt team. I dont care how we do it we desperately need to get Stewart or Wahab or Carrigan and get some beef inside again.

Unfortunately your right. After last Sat's game and watching Uconn's two games I had a feeling we were going to be in for a tough game if Frank was unable to play. Last Sat's game was a very ominous sign. Still struggling to finish in close (especially Oshae) and shooting remains abysmal. I am also beyond disillusioned with the Center position. Chukwu was horrific yesterday and was dominated by a guy Uconn tried to essentially cut last year. Sidibe looks like he weighs 100 pounds and haven't seen anything overly positive save for that one game against a god awful Pitt team. I dont care how we do it we desperately need to get Stewart or Wahab or Carrigan and get some beef inside again.

Sidibe is still a very inexperienced player in terms of court time and I hope/think things will click and he will come into his own as a player at some point.

But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed with how he’s played so far this year. Happy he’s healthy. I think he’ll come on. But he hasn’t played all that well for the most part so far this year.

Sidibe is still a very inexperienced player in terms of court time and I hope/think things will click and he will come into his own as a player at some point.

But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed with how he’s played so far this year. Happy he’s healthy. I think he’ll come on. But he hasn’t played all that well for the most part so far this year.

Are we going to see Chukwu/Sid dunk the damn ball when they are right under the basket? It’s just crazy.

Can't speak to other games as this was my first look at this year's team, but Sid had 5 boards in only 12 minutes. That showed he was at least battling inside, more than can be said about Chuk, Marek, or Oshae.

Begs the question for jimmy, why not more Sid when we were getting smashed off the glass all game long ?

Chuk and marek COMBINED for 1 D (which was Marek's) rebound the entire game. Does it get more pathetic than that ???

I don't know if Marek's board was when he played C or F, so it is possible that other than Sid we did not get a single D board from the center position the entire game !!!

So far this season:
Battle: 40%, 14% from 3.
Brissett: 35%, 25% from 3.
Hughes: 38%, 24% from 3.

Our “big 3” has to be much better. Makes me think we’re a bit due tonight?

I think Hughes is going to turn it around as he has a nice stroke, but I'm a bit worried about Battles jumper. It seems to get jerkier every year. Definitely doesn't seem to have the same shot he had as a freshman.

Can't speak to other games as this was my first look at this year's team, but Sid had 5 boards in only 12 minutes. That showed he was at least battling inside, more than can be said about Chuk, Marek, or Oshae.

Begs the question for jimmy, why not more Sid when we were getting smashed off the glass all game long ?

Chuk and marek COMBINED for 1 D (which was Marek's) rebound the entire game. Does it get more pathetic than that ???

I don't know if Marek's board was when he played C or F, so it is possible that other than Sid we did not get a single D board from the center position the entire game !!!

That’s a valid point. 5 boards in 12 minutes is solid.

Hes regressed.. go look at his HS vids. Its what happens when you don't use your bigs

Sidibe didn't get to practice in the summer because he was rehabbing. It should be no shock he's rusty.

By all accounts Chukwu had a great summer so last nights performance was disappointing.

Are we going to see Chukwu/Sid dunk the damn ball when they are right under the basket? It’s just crazy.

Sidibe tried to finesse a Carey pass by laying it in on the under side of the rim and missed. If he went straight up, he had a dunk.

I think Hughes is going to turn it around as he has a nice stroke, but I'm a bit worried about Battles jumper. It seems to get jerkier every year. Definitely doesn't seem to have the same shot he had as a freshman.

I said in a different thread that it almost looks like he’s changed his shooting stroke. He’s holding the ball higher and releasing it. I think it’s an attempt to get rid of the jerk in his shot. But I doesn’t appear that it’s helped with accuracy.

Hes regressed.. go look at his HS vids. Its what happens when you don't use your bigs

Or maybe it’s a different level of ball and he missed a lot of time hurt?

You kill your own credibility when all you do is show up and rip everything and quit on the season when we lose.

don't you have some high school lacrosse to watch/analyze?

What's really weird to me is how JB said that Battle was a much improved player after the past summer. And it didn't seem like he meant just by a little, either. JB is a good judge of talent, so what was he seeing that we're not seeing - and Battle isn't showing - yet this season?

2018-11-16_1159.png

So far this season:
Battle: 40%, 14% from 3.
Brissett: 35%, 25% from 3.
Hughes: 38%, 24% from 3.

Our “big 3” has to be much better. Makes me think we’re a bit due tonight?
A lot of that is on the quality of shots they are getting. Better ball movement == better looks. We had the same problems last year. JB wants to run the football equivalent of the Alabama offense without the Alabama talent.

The most unsettling thing for me is that I just didn't expect such a veteran team to do the things I saw last night. Really no discipline, got it to within 4 or 5 a couple times and absolute lack of discipline on both ends of the floor allowed UConn to slip away both times. It was jarring and so unexpected. You just don't usually see that from a JB coached team and especially one returning everybody.

The most unsettling thing for me is that I just didn't expect such a veteran team to do the things I saw last night. Really no discipline, got it to within 4 or 5 a couple times and absolute lack of discipline on both ends of the floor allowed UConn to slip away both times. It was jarring and so unexpected. You just don't usually see that from a JB coached team and especially one returning everybody.

When they were down 4, Tyus jacked up a three after the rebound, UConn made a three on the ensuing possession for a five point swing and seven point lead. It was a puzzling decision from someone who has been there before.

Agreed. Both times I thought we were in great position to steal that game. Our b-ball IQ was disappointing last night.

Agreed. Both times I thought we were in great position to steal that game. Our b-ball IQ was disappointing last night.

The scheme is literally try to create for yourself. They are going to take and make/miss tough shots. That’s who they are. With Frank or without Frank. It was the same offense of standing around and driving into traffic. The staff allows bad shots because that is what they do! They overdribble constantly. Tyus dribbled at least once off his leg and out bounds trying to go through his legs or something.

The scheme is literally try to create for yourself. They are going to take and make/miss tough shots. That’s who they are. With Frank or without Frank. It was the same offense of standing around and driving into traffic. The staff allows bad shots because that is what they do! They overdribble constantly. Tyus dribbled at least once off his leg and out bounds trying to go through his legs or something.
Agreed if the solution is just expect Brissett and Battle to play better we are going to be in trouble. These guys need a margin of error for the team to be able to win games.
It’s not fair how much is put on their shoulders. We literally didn’t bring anyone in to help the center spot. Last year it gave us very little and we didn’t bring in another option.

I like Braswell as a developmental guy he will help down the road. That is a good scholarship use.
We got Carey who will be a stud and then because we didn’t add a big gave Buddy a scholarship while we had one open. I believe JB would take him off if he could find another player to use it on.
Our offense identity is basically give the ball to our best players and let them make plays/shots.
We can’t complain when they struggle 3 games in a row and the coach doesn’t tweak the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom