There's no excuse for not lighting up Tulane... | Syracusefan.com

There's no excuse for not lighting up Tulane...

Scooch

Living Legend
...right?

I mean the Green Wave has among the worst defenses in the country. They rank 103rd in PPG Against (33.4) and are giving up 386 YPG. They gave up 48 to Duke, 45 to Army and 33 to something called Southeastern Louisiana.

I mean there's just no way that Syracuse can compete with the talent they amass at places like Duke, Army and Southeastern Louisiana, right? We'll need years to get that kind of talent in place, I'm sure.

OK, I'm being really snarky, but if we don't tattoo 40 on these guys can we at least declare the question of "do we need to seriously rethink our offensive system?" officially settled?

...right?

I mean the Green Wave has among the worst defenses in the country. They rank 103rd in PPG Against (33.4) and are giving up 386 YPG. They gave up 48 to Duke, 45 to Army and 33 to something called Southeastern Louisiana.

I mean there's just no way that Syracuse can compete with the talent they amass at places like Duke, Army and Southeastern Louisiana, right? We'll need years to get that kind of talent in place, I'm sure.

OK, I'm being really snarky, but if we don't tattoo 40 on these guys can we at least declare the question of "do we need to seriously rethink our offensive system?" officially settled?

We may not. The first 4 games we were nto aggressive on D and played bend but don't break. If we do that vs Tulane then they will have some time consuming drives, meaning less points for SU. Also on O I think the most important thing is to find a #2 RB. So we will run the ball a lot. If we do not bust a lot of long runs, it will keep our score down. Remember we were pass happy in the first half vs RI and still put up only 21 points.

To quote SU alum Al Davis "JUST WIN BABY" Syracuse is still in the phase of getting back to a winning culture while I want a blowout all I care is W-Ls and if We win 31-30, or 45-10 I will feel happy. I get very down when we lose, but when we win even when its ugly its a great day. I will give Marrone 4 years before I complain about style points.

Yeah, see I'm not talking about style, I'm talking about being able to get comparable yards and points as ARMY.

Yeah, see I'm not talking about style, I'm talking about being able to get comparable yards and points as ARMY.
I've accepted that some people like the view they get from burying their head in the sand.

I think we'll win, but how we win I think will determine how the rest of the season plays out.

...right?

Breakout game -- 44-20

I've accepted that some people like the view they get from burying their head in the sand.

I think we'll win, but how we win I think will determine how the rest of the season plays out.
i don't know why anyone would think having offensive success against Tulane will determine anything

it wouldn't be the first time that people around here get tricked by putting up numbers against a bad non AQ team.

30 points, 365 yards and some will be losing their , as if Marrone sat around with June Jones, Mike Leach, and Chip Kelly the night before eating crawfish po boys developing the game plan.:)

I would say there is no excuse for not beating Tulane, lighting them up? This offense is not capable of that right now, it simply isn't. Do you actually see the O scoring 45-55 points on anyone? Too many plays left out there every game regardless of opponent

I'm less concerned with how many points we score than with how efficiently the offense operates. If we score 20 points, but the O runs on every down and every drive takes 10 minutes...well, that's an offense. Maybe not one that some would like. But it's an offense.

That said, I expect SU to be running and throwing and scoring more than 20 points.

I would like to win this game and get the regulars some time to heal and the subs some time to play by crushing Tulane but we're just not at that level yet to be able to mark wins down. I believe if the defense is as aggressive as they were against Rutgers we'll be in fine shape.

On paper we should light them up; however, I don't think we break the pattern of playing to the level of our competition. I hope to God I am wrong, but seeing a nailbiter would not surprise me in the least. :noidea:

...right?

Agreed! If we don't take them to the wood shop, it will show that there's not enough progress since Rohode Island. By the way, Rhody is showing they are a really bad team since we squeaked one out over them at home.

On paper we should light them up; however, I don't think we break the pattern of playing to the level of our competition. I hope to God I am wrong, but seeing a nailbiter would not surprise me in the least. :noidea:

Paper... you mean Play Station! You're showing your age now. ;)

...right?

Right - if they can't put up big numbers this week then there is something seriously wrong with this system

Maybe in your mind, but as we found out last season, one game does not necessarily determine the next. Each team we play is different and how we match up is different. Last year, we matched up well with WVU, USF and KSU and not so well with UW, BC, UConn, Pitt and Louisville.

I appreciate that some people are always looking to find meaning in everything, but sometimes things just happen and there is no carryover meaning to everything else. Now, if someone emerges as a playmaker (AAM) or, God forbid, someone gets hurt then I will agree that this Saturday could have a major impact on future games.

Agreed! If we don't take them to the wood shop, it will show that there's not enough progress since Rohode Island. By the way, Rhody is showing they are a really bad team since we squeaked one out over them at home.

Well, clearly we broke their will.

I will take a win. I would like it to be a blow out but I will be happy to win the game outright and not being worrying about a mistake in overtime. Flip and helmet and move on to our bye week healthy and ready to play conference games.

i don't know why anyone would think having offensive success against Tulane will determine anything

it wouldn't be the first time that people around here get tricked by putting up numbers against a bad non AQ team.
It's more like if you can't move the ball against a bad defense you probably can't move the ball against a better defense.:noidea:

Reasonable goals for this game may be to win the time of possession and run more plays than Tulane. Trying to pin down the number of yards and points may churn the stomachs of a few posters on this board.

Look at it this way, I'd rather be fooled by great offensive performances against bad defensive teams than having the game we had against URI. The latter is much more alarming, and why I'm currently alarmed. The former might be the boost of confidence that many on this offense need. Will it translate? Odds may say no, but so you're saying there's a chance! I read ya!

Of course I would like to see the score look like 28-7 at some point in the third quarter. This would allow us to pull the starters (in the few positions we have depth) and give some of the younger guys some burn. If some of the guys that are banged up only have to play 2/3 of the game, then get a bye week, we could look close to 100% for West Virginia. If we are going to beat/stay competitive with WVU we need to be close to 100%.

Realistically I would like to see us get AT LEAST one first down on every drive. 3 & outs on half our possessions is slowly driving me insane...

Realistically I would like to see us get AT LEAST one first down on every drive. 3 & outs on half our possessions is slowly driving me insane...

that would be nice. This shows how far we've come though, that we can actually get a 1st down on half of our possessions. Remember 4 years ago when we were lucky to get a first down on every 4th possession? I remember it - too clearly.