These games show how important having a big be a threat offensively is | Syracusefan.com

These games show how important having a big be a threat offensively is

Alsacs

Living Legend
JB isn’t stupid so I don’t get how we can go so long without going hard after an offensive big.
It’s mind numbing watching this team play and not even try to have a big who can score outside of a dunk/lob/put back.

JB isn’t stupid so I don’t get how we can go so long without going hard after an offensive big.
It’s mind numbing watching this team play and not even try to have a big who can score outside of a dunk/lob/put back.

People try to blame their fav whipping boys when we lose. Whether that be Frank, Brissett, Chewy, Sidibe, Buddy, whomever. But the biggest problem with our offense is no post scoring threat. That’s not a knock on any of our centers because that’s just not what they are. Dolezaj and Chewy will never be a post threat. Sidibe has a chance, hopefully next year. I’ve at least seen him make some up and under moves. It’d be nice when the defense is up on our shooters that we could just dump it into a big inside and let them do their thing.

The game thread, everyone was blasting Brissett. The post game threads everyone is all over Frank. The fact is, last night those two were the least of our worries. Basketball is a funny game.

Who is gonna coach the bigs to play offense Gerry?

We should rehire Bernie. We might have had a real shot at Stewart if we had a functional big man coach on the staff.

We should rehire Bernie. We might have had a real shot at Stewart if we had a functional big man coach on the staff.

Griffin coaches the bigs.

People try to blame their fav whipping boys when we lose. Whether that be Frank, Brissett, Chewy, Sidibe, Buddy, whomever. But the biggest problem with our offense is no post scoring threat. That’s not a knock on any of our centers because that’s just not what they are. Dolezaj and Chewy will never be a post threat. Sidibe has a chance, hopefully next year. I’ve at least seen him make some up and under moves. It’d be nice when the defense is up on our shooters that we could just dump it into a big inside and let them do their thing.

The game thread, everyone was blasting Brissett. The post game threads everyone is all over Frank. The fact is, last night those two were the least of our worries. Basketball is a funny game.

Agree completely. The lack of any semblance of an interior scoring threat (doesn't even need to be big numbers, just the threat would be enough) is a major contributing factor.

Especially when you play against the VT style of D - intense ball pressure, exaggerated help (this was huge), exaggerated hedging, all while attacking any dribble penetration and switching on all screens (also huge). It was a recipe for disaster for SU.

The worse possible way to attack that style D is by setting ball screens with our offensively challenged bigs, especially near the sidelines. This took away a big part of the motion style offense. And VT's extreme help rotations took away the iso dribble penetration.

I can't find it now, but a while ago Rosie Bouie was quite specific in an interview about how he would train the bigs that is nothing like the recent system. Wish he'd been a part of the program, and wonder why he wasn't (given the S.U. family thing).

Bernie was no great shacks coaching the bigs. Total myth.

Yep...and others...Orinze, Conrad McCrae, Rosie, Etan, and more

I
Conrad McCrae had no offensive game at all. None. Rosie didn't have much of one either. And there weren't more

Conrad McCrae had no offensive game at all. None. Rosie didn't have much of one either. And there weren't more

Okay...of course you’re right <<<said with the most extreme sarcasm>>>

Fine did a really swell job with Watkins and Roberts compared to the talent they came in with said no one ever.
The game never slowed down for Roberts... every time he got the ball know one knew what was going to happen including the original TROB. Also TROB’s career was ruined by a bum knee which stole him of his athleticism. Watkins was actually a servicable center by his senior year... if I remember correctly his main issues were that he wasn’t very aggressive and our offense didn’t know how to get him the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom