Things I heard at the Tennessee game on Saturday (sound familiar?) | Syracusefan.com

Things I heard at the Tennessee game on Saturday (sound familiar?)

florange44

Scout Team
I was in Knoxville this past weekend visiting friends ( big UT fans) and we went to the game on Saturday. I heard a Lot of comments from UT fans that could have come right out of cuse fans mouths

1) why didn’t they put cup holders on these seats?
2) I love the pee troughs, so efficient, I can’t believe they are talking of removing them!
3) it’s such a long walk from our parking spot to the stadium, this is what happens when you have an on campus stadium.
4) why don’t they show out of town scores during the game? (FYI - they showed scores of the same 3 games about every 10 minutes)
5) it’s too hot to stay the whole game ( we don’t say that anymore)
6) the concessions suck, why can’t I get a YeeHaw beer in the uppper deck?

We aren’t any different than Tennessee fans folks. My guess is all fans at college stadiums have the same comments.

other things I noticed
1) 24 tubas ( thats for you Tomcat)
2) stands were 75% full at kickoff ( despite all tickets being sold- 102k)
3) stands were less than half full after halftime ( in fairness it was 95f and UT was up by 45 at the half)
4) cheerleaders/band/host were well coordinated through out the game
5) no commercials during timeouts and no silly contests
6) dance cam and flex cam were used to big cheers
7) Rocky top is an awesome song for football games ( unless you are the visiting team), we need something like that

Florange44

Went to the Horsehoe a couple years ago and was surprised by what a dump it was.

Big? yes.
Nice? not really. old and decrepit.

Had nosebleed seats and the upper deck concrete stairs are not spaced properly (short steps) and a total tripping hazard. Concessions were a nightmare and the breezeways too narrow to get through at halftime with people waiting in concession lines. The only positive on the concessions was a self-serve beer and soda cooler that you just took a can and scanned your phone payal/venmo. Was very efficient.

The OSU tailgate operations were over the top as well. All the "big footprint" tailgaters had their own, rented porta-potty and they all have signs on them saying "for private use"... some of the 'gater tents had 3 or 4 widescreen TVs in them, multiple full size grills, smokers, some had bars...

We left early, and there were a whole contingent of fans sill tailgating in the second half at the widescreen 'gater tents... I am guessing they think the horsehoe is a dump as well and would rather stay at the tailgate with TVs, nonstop beer, food, etc. lol.

Last edited:
I noticed watching the FSU game last night they played music for 10 seconds or so in between plays. It must be a new thing as I have seen some of their fans complain about it today. At least when SU plays music it is during a TO and you get a full song.

I noticed watching the FSU game last night they played music for 10 seconds or so in between plays. It must be a new thing as I have seen some of their fans complain about it today. At least when SU plays music it is during a TO and you get a full song.
I may be nuts and it may be more a function of the broadcast production crew, but the sound at Doak was HORRIBLE on the broadcast and that's not the first time I've thought that.

Rocky Top is the best fight song in the nation. It is not even remotely close.
While I don't agree with your proclamation, I hope you see that I used the sarcasm font.

While I don't agree with your proclamation, I hope you see that I used the sarcasm font.
As a part-time Tennessee resident, I count anyone messin' with Rocky Top as gettin' close to my fightin' side. Sarcasm font or not.

Full Disclosure: I already have plans to go to Atlanta for the 2025 opener with a group of UT fans. I have already warned them that I will be rooting for SU.

As a part-time Tennessee resident, I count anyone messin' with Rocky Top as gettin' close to my fightin' side. Sarcasm font or not.

Full Disclosure: I already have plans to go to Atlanta for the 2025 opener with a group of UT fans. I have already warned them that I will be rooting for SU.
Orange > Creamsicle

All good from me, but I was not messin' with Rocky Top. I would, but in this case, I was not.

I am a fan of college pageantry (love a good marching band, just never liked the SU band's song selection - Magical Mystery Tour? Jesus Christ Superstar?) as well as "hype" music to get the crowd into the action, but every time the subject comes up, someone finds a way to make it about either their personal tastes (I too am guilty of this) or insisting the players should decide what to play to hype the crowd often saying songs like "Jump Around" are too old despite what happens at Wisconsin every third quarter.

All good from me, but I was not messin' with Rocky Top. I would, but in this case, I was not.

I am a fan of college pageantry (love a good marching band, just never liked the SU band's song selection - Magical Mystery Tour? Jesus Christ Superstar?) as well as "hype" music to get the crowd into the action, but every time the subject comes up, someone finds a way to make it about either their personal tastes (I too am guilty of this) or insisting the players should decide what to play to hype the crowd often saying songs like "Jump Around" are too old despite what happens at Wisconsin every third quarter.

Yeah I mean even Mr. Brightside is 20 years old. I Won’t Back Down is 35 years old.

Dixieland Delight at Alabama is another good one. Although something like that wouldn’t fly here given their curse word toward Auburn that’s said about 30 times in the song.

The fans have to want to be part of something like that to make it work with a repeating song. I don’t think the masses in a given Syracuse crowd would ever want to. So I guess just play whatever works in the moment.

Rocky Top is the best fight song in the nation. It is not remotely close.

I took my kids to Dollywood this summer and hit one of the dinner shows while we were there. Early in the show they played Rocky Top and the whole crowd joined in (including my kids) - proud moment for me.

(They can sing Down the Field also).

Edit - we were alsoat a concert at Dollywood where they started to play Jump Around, my daughter looked at me, yelled “Wisconsin!” and started jumping around. I’ve definitely taught my kids college football traditions.

Last edited:
I was in Knoxville this past weekend visiting friends ( big UT fans) and we went to the game on Saturday. I heard a Lot of comments from UT fans that could have come right out of cuse fans mouths

1) why didn’t they put cup holders on these seats?
2) I love the pee troughs, so efficient, I can’t believe they are talking of removing them!
3) it’s such a long walk from our parking spot to the stadium, this is what happens when you have an on campus stadium.
4) why don’t they show out of town scores during the game? (FYI - they showed scores of the same 3 games about every 10 minutes)
5) it’s too hot to stay the whole game ( we don’t say that anymore)
6) the concessions suck, why can’t I get a YeeHaw beer in the uppper deck?

We aren’t any different than Tennessee fans folks. My guess is all fans at college stadiums have the same comments.

other things I noticed
1) 24 tubas ( thats for you Tomcat)
2) stands were 75% full at kickoff ( despite all tickets being sold- 102k)
3) stands were less than half full after halftime ( in fairness it was 95f and UT was up by 45 at the half)
4) cheerleaders/band/host were well coordinated through out the game
5) no commercials during timeouts and no silly contests
6) dance cam and flex cam were used to big cheers
7) Rocky top is an awesome song for football games ( unless you are the visiting team), we need something like that

Florange44
Good insight thank you, yeah, sounds kinda familiar! We went to Neyland when we played the return game there in 01, but I certainly was not paying attention to fan experience then in my senior yr at su. You bet I sure woud notice that now though.

Good insight thank you, yeah, sounds kinda familiar! We went to Neyland when we played the return game there in 01, but I certainly was not paying attention to fan experience then in my senior yr at su. You bet I sure woud notice that now though.
I was at that game too. Sideline pass with my friend who’s dad was an assistant ad at UT. What an incredible experience. Except for the beat down. That was depressing.

Yeah I mean even Mr. Brightside is 20 years old. I Won’t Back Down is 35 years old.

Dixieland Delight at Alabama is another good one. Although something like that wouldn’t fly here given their curse word toward Auburn that’s said about 30 times in the song.

The fans have to want to be part of something like that to make it work with a repeating song. I don’t think the masses in a given Syracuse crowd would ever want to. So I guess just play whatever works in the moment.

Don’t agree with this. We had something with Rock & Roll Part 2; the crowd participation in Albany vs Oklahoma in 2003 was impressive.

I think fans would get on board with something - the biggest issue is it needs to be more “family friendly” and the university needs to stick with it long enough to become a treasured tradition.

I do think the administration agrees with you, which means they aren’t willing to try to build any traditions. So the likelihood it ever happens is really low.

I was at that game too. Sideline pass with my friend who’s dad was an assistant ad at UT. What an incredible experience. Except for the beat down. That was depressing.
As I have said on this board a few times before, I reserve a very special hate for Tennessee. Between the Dome loss in 98 when T Martin and the Will Allen call, them then winning a chip, then going there and that loss, still haunts me today, SUPTSD

Last edited:

At risk of being declared "too old", I'm going to quote someone even older, Duke Ellington. He said there are only two types of music--good music and bad music. When a song was written is irrelevant. Of course, how a tune is performed is important: You can screw up a good song or marginally obscure the awfulness of a bad one.

At risk of being declared "too old", I'm going to quote someone even older, Duke Ellington. He said there are only two types of music--good music and bad music. When a song was written is irrelevant. Of course, how a tune is performed is important: You can screw up a good song or marginally obscure the awfulness of a bad one.
Not that I disagree with the Duke, or you, but there is also a “right place, right time” factor. Magical Mystery Tour is a good song, but not during a football game as a trumpet section solo intended to hype up a crowd!?

Rocky Top is the best fight song in the nation. It is not remotely close.
As a Knoxville resident, I despise that song. I avoid it as much as possible. One thing that feeds into that is that a segment of UT fans actually think it was written specifically for the university rather than realizing it had no original connection to it and was later adopted by it. It's probably not the song I hate so much as it is the ignorance and arrogance of the fans. What's really stupid is that the song is about a mountain in the smokies and Knoxville is in the valley. The municipal leaders in a nearby area north of the city, opposite the direction of the actual rocky top, are so stupid they changed the name of their town from Lake City to Rocky Top in an attempt to increase tourism.

Even before I lived in Knoxville and grew to hate UT fans, I preferred other fight songs.

Rant over.

As I have said on this board a few times before, I reserve a very special hate for Tennessee. Between the Dome loss in 98 when T Martin and the Will Allen call, them then winning a chip, then going there and that loss, still haunts me today, SUPTSD

There's a part of me that feels the same. But when my brother and I went down to the game at Tennessee, a guy saw our Syracuse shirts when we were at a bar Friday night and started buying us beers and telling us about the history of Tennessee football. The most memorable was about the game when they beat Alabama in 1982 after losing something like 12 in a row to the Tide; he was part of a group which was celebrating on Cumberland Ave after the game. The group broke into a Freihofer's bread truck and started tossing bread to other revelers. My brother and I still talk about "the bread truck riot of '82" in reference to Tennessee football. That guy buying us beers was a good dude, I can at least be a little happy for him about how much he enjoyed their national championship season.

I also learned from him that "corn from a jar" in Rocky Top was a reference to moonshine, prior to that I always wondered why it was a jar since corn would come in a can. After that, I wondered how the hell I couldn't figure it out based on the rest of the song.

There's a part of me that feels the same. But when my brother and I went down to the game at Tennessee, a guy saw our Syracuse shirts when we were at a bar Friday night and started buying us beers and telling us about the history of Tennessee football. The most memorable was about the game when they beat Alabama in 1982 after losing something like 12 in a row to the Tide; he was part of a group which was celebrating on Cumberland Ave after the game. The group broke into a Freihofer's bread truck and started tossing bread to other revelers. My brother and I still talk about "the bread truck riot of '82" in reference to Tennessee football. That guy buying us beers was a good dude, I can at least be a little happy for him about how much he enjoyed their national championship season.

I also learned from him that "corn from a jar" in Rocky Top was a reference to moonshine, prior to that I always wondered why it was a jar since corn would come in a can. After that, I wondered how the hell I couldn't figure it out based on the rest of the song.
That guy sounds way better than the idiot I talked to that insisted Peyton Manning was the QB of their '98 championship team when he found out I was a Syracuse fan. He was certain he was right because he's such a huge fan he has a power 'T' tattooed on the back of his neck. Seriously, that was his logic. Until I pulled it up on the internet, he could not be convinced he was wrong. Sadly, I believe that is closer ro the average UT fan. Wholly committed. And just as stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom