Thinking outside the box- football version | Syracusefan.com

Thinking outside the box- football version

SWC75

Bored Historian
I was reading on Wikipedia about basketballs' 3 point shot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_point_shot

I noticed that NFL Europe had a rule that a field goal outside the 40 yard line was worth four points. I tho9ught about this and wondered if it would be a good idea if place kicks- both field goals and extra points- got a certain number of points based on distance:

Within 20 yards: 1 point
20-39 yards: 2 points.
40-59 yards: 3 points
60-79 yards: 4 points
80-99 yards, (if someone could kick it): 5 points.

Teams in the red zone would focus on touchdowns. Teams who have scored touchdowns could decide to put the ball back far enough to get more points on the conversion. Teams might try more really long field goals.

Sure it's different. It's "outside the box". Is a good idea or a bad one?

An interesting idea but I don't think it would lead to very entertaining football.

I think it would lead to bogged down, low scoring games.

I don't want to see a situation where taking a loss on 3rd and 19 is beneficial.

An interesting idea but I don't think it would lead to very entertaining football.

I think it would lead to bogged down, low scoring games.

I don't want to see a situation where taking a loss on 3rd and 19 is beneficial.

I doubt that would happen. If they could get what they wanted by taking such a loss, they would have kicked it when they were back there.

I would like it to some extent. I think we've all talked about the irony that the sport is named "Football" when using your feet to score is such a small part of the game. This would actually make the sport more focused on kicking. Not sure if the common fan would want that.

How about if it was only implemented in the final quarter and only to tie the game if behind?

I say this because I'd hate to be the home team with a 3 point lead and see the visitors back up a 47 yard FG attempt with 3 seconds left to "steal" the win with a 4 pointer. Or if there was 2 minutes left and my team is down by 5, I'd hate to see the other team kick a 4 pointer just to seal the victory by going up 9 points instead of 8.

I would like it to some extent. I think we've all talked about the irony that the sport is named "Football" when using your feet to score is such a small part of the game. This would actually make the sport more focused on kicking. Not sure if the common fan would want that.

How about if it was only implemented in the final quarter and only to tie the game if behind?

I say this because I'd hate to be the home team with a 3 point lead and see the visitors back up a 47 yard FG attempt with 3 seconds left to "steal" the win with a 4 pointer. Or if there was 2 minutes left and my team is down by 5, I'd hate to see the other team kick a 4 pointer just to seal the victory by going up 9 points instead of 8.

40-59 yards: 3 points

No.
Teams would be penalized for moving the ball downfield. A 70 yd drive could result in 2 points, while a 3 and out could get you 3. Offensive production should be rewarded.

There would be QB kneels on 3rd down. Say you take a holding penalty and you are looking at 3rd and 20. A QB kneel keeps you in 3 point territory. Trying to convert the 3rd and 20 isn't beneficial.

No.
Teams would be penalized for moving the ball downfield. A 70 yd drive could result in 2 points, while a 3 and out could get you 3. Offensive production should be rewarded.

There would be QB kneels on 3rd down. Say you take a holding penalty and you are looking at 3rd and 20. A QB kneel keeps you in 3 point territory. Trying to convert the 3rd and 20 isn't beneficial.

Unless you have a long snapper that can snap it 20 yards to the holder who can really be situated wherever he wants. Would make kick defense alot more intereting

No.

It would depend on how many points they needed. They might go for an earlier, more difficult kick- and give the other team more time to come back if they made it. I don't think teams would surrender yardage for a more difficult kick rather than going for a touchdown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom