Thinking this will help us increase our talent level | Syracusefan.com

Thinking this will help us increase our talent level

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy

Some may not be able to access it but it breaks down the effects of the 1 year Covid waiver for all student athletes. There are snippets from multiple coaches discussing how it's likely that they are going to only be looking to take 16-17 class of '22 kids instead of the usual 22-23 kids because of scholarship limitations with all of the kids already on the roster potentially having an extra year. They talk about the potential of 500-600 less kids than normal getting a D1 scholarship in this class.

My initial thought would be this bodes well for us in adding higher quality kids than normal. Would imagine that there will be a trickle down effect that helps us and our peers have more access to kids in that 400-600 range. Those are usually our highest rated recruits and in a normal year we are able to secure a couple. Maybe this now allows to get 3-5 instead of 1-3 in that range. Other point of view is that with Covid potentially robbing these high school kids of a year of development and there likely being way less tape on these kids right now that there is going to be way less separation between the 3 star ranked 400th and the one ranked 900th anyway.

Interesting. Good post.

On the whole, disruption should mean the top of the food chain get a bit less predictable and I agree with you that it could have benefits to a program like ours. Wish the talent could get more evenly distributed long term.

Not to be crass but it will be a buyer’s market. A lot of kids and JUCO’s and hopeful transfers will be shut out.

Not to be crass but it will be a buyer’s market. A lot of kids and JUCO’s and hopeful transfers will be shut out.

Or pushed down a rung or two.

Another way to look at it is that with this new "source" of talent, that some transfers / JUCOs that might have ended up at more prestigious landing spot programs might not have those options available, and could be there for the taking -- whereas they otherwise wouldn't be.

Need a NT-type. Hope we find one.

Another way to look at it is that with this new "source" of talent, that some transfers / JUCOs that might have ended up at more prestigious landing spot programs might not have those options available, and could be there for the taking -- whereas they otherwise wouldn't be.

Certainly should be helpful to us and have to think the coaches are going to be way more conservative on taking gambles.

My guess is that players who ordinarily wouldn't give us the time of day will continue not to give us the time of day, and we will mostly recruit legitimately good players who aren't on everyone's radar from the start.

My guess is that players who ordinarily wouldn't give us the time of day will continue not to give us the time of day, and we will mostly recruit legitimately good players who aren't on everyone's radar from the start.

That's fair.

But this isn't a status quo situation, and the recruiting landscape this year is different than it's ever been. It's incumbent on our coaching staff to tap into this unprecedented resource, stick in their thumbs, and pull out a few plums.

Or oranges.

Really comes down to how good we believe our staff is at identifying talent and scouting.

I think they've been pretty good at identifying talent.

They haven't always reeled them in, but for the most part we have had a lot of young players be big contributors right away in recent years.

That always signals an upturn in talent, if the young guys are better than the ones who already have a year or two in your program.

I think it's the dysfunctional offensive line coaching, and some poor play calling on offense these past couple years.

I think most of the rest of the pieces have been pretty good under Dino. A little disappointed with the current state of our WRs, and our seeming inability to hold onto skills position players that one extra year. But otherwise, I could see a big turnaround quickly.

It's going to come down to culture, and of course line play. But we have to hope that a losing culture hasn't set in. We have to have the right mental approach. And I'd like to start the season healthy for once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom