Class of 2015 - This could be a game changer | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 This could be a game changer

so if the kid does not sign the NLI does the school still have to hold the scholie out until the last minute before practice starts to see where he ends up? wont the schools just add some clause that says that if they max out then the scholie is null and void?

i agree with some of the stuff to protect the kids, but there still needs to be some protection for the schools, the kids can go anywhere the schools can only sign 25 kids.

This isn't a game changer as it's nothing new. Kids have never 'had' to sign before and kids in the past have not signed. The part about dumping the kid even after having signed might be true but I can't say I've ever seen that happen ever. Unless an arrest or something like that.

So the kid only holds the power if the schools he wants to attend keep a scholarship open for him.

Last edited:
I would have to go home and read but I beleieve the scholarship paper states you must play for the scholarship to be valid or at least participate with the team. This may work once or twice for a few kids. But a lot of kids will end up losing. The schools won't hold out for a kid if they need to fill a hole. There is far to few protections for the kids but I think if the ncaa changed the rules of allowing transfers or was more On the kids side of waivers for kids that transfer due to coaching changes etc. it would help with this stuff.

This isn't a game changer as it's nothing new. Kids have never 'had' to sign before and kids in the past have not signed. The part about dumping the kid even after having signed might be true but I can't say I've ever seen that happen ever. Unless an arrest or something like that.

So the kid only holds the power if the schools he wants to attend keeps a scholarship open for him.
Not new, but not well-publicized. It could become a trend, if only among the real blue chips, who will always find a welcome somewhere.

A better outcome might be simply to hold off a month or so before signing. At that point, you know whether or not the guy who was your main recruiter (and maybe the primary reason you chose his school) has moved on.

I would have to go home and read but I beleieve the scholarship paper states you must play for the scholarship to be valid or at least participate with the team. This may work once or twice for a few kids. But a lot of kids will end up losing. The schools won't hold out for a kid if they need to fill a hole. There is far to few protections for the kids but I think if the ncaa changed the rules of allowing transfers or was more On the kids side of waivers for kids that transfer due to coaching changes etc. it would help with this stuff.

I wouldn't mind if the NLI Bound the Athlete to the Head Coach/Position Coach. If they leave then the kid should be able to go if they choose. (The waiver exists for the Head coach as bam said). Just expand to Position coach and put a limit of time on it. Like 30 days post staff.

Not new, but not well-publicized. It could become a trend, if only among the real blue chips, who will always find a welcome somewhere.

A better outcome might be simply to hold off a month or so before signing. At that point, you know whether or not the guy who was your main recruiter (and maybe the primary reason you chose his school) has moved on.

Kids in the past have signed 'scholarship papers' which I don't believe are binding.

This is most common with early enrollees. Since seniors cannot sign a NLI until February, they never do sign one. They are officially a part of the team and accept the scholarship when they sign the scholarship papers.

The only way this becomes common is for "once in a lifetime recruits" (sorry had to do it) - teams that will hold a spot for the guy because they are so good that they would not pass over them. If there is a 2* or 3* player, the team might just say to them that they sign the NLI or the team will fill their slot with another player of equal or better rating. This guy just happens to be in a position of power.

I did not realize that a school can still dump a recruit after he signs his NLI. Of course, if the kid commits a crime, then a school can terminate the relationship. But I have never seen a school say they will not honor a signed NLI "just because". That is eye opening. When even sign these NLI's?