This Duke Team | Syracusefan.com

This Duke Team

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Is the most Un-Duke , Duke team I can remember. They are strong upfront. Bagley III has hands of Charmin and is a beast. I find it hard, aside from Allen, to dislike this squad.

Bagley is absolutely absurd - pretty much a Durant clone but with slightly less perimeter game/slightly more interior (rebounding) game

Is the most Un-Duke , Duke team I can remember. They are strong upfront. Bagley III has hands of Charmin and is a beast. I find it hard, aside from Allen, to dislike this squad.
I have never had a difficult time hating Duke. It comes very naturally to me. I watching the Duke vs Texas game and my mother informed me that some friend of hers from a long time ago she somehow thought I would remember had a husband that I don't know who apparently is a great person and was a professor at Duke. For that reason she was rooting for them in my own house. I didn't like my mother for a good 2 hours. My own mother. That is what Duke does they make you hate your own mother.

Bagley reminds me of a super athletic Zack Randolph.

That Duke team has insane talent but they aren’t cohensive and can play lazy for extended minutes each game.

I have never had a difficult time hating Duke. It comes very naturally to me. I watching the Duke vs Texas game and my mother informed me that some friend of hers from a long time ago she somehow thought I would remember had a husband that I don't know who apparently is a great person and was a professor at Duke. For that reason she was rooting for them in my own house. I didn't like my mother for a good 2 hours. My own mother. That is what Duke does they make you hate your own mother.
HA HA HA HA HA! Really, I laughed at this remark until I cried. My eyes are still moist.

HA HA HA HA HA! Really, I laughed at this remark until I cried. My eyes are still moist.
I actually thought of you as I was writing it. Also I thought of you over Thanksgiving because we are having a baby in March and apparently Hamilton is coming to Seattle. My mother in front of my wife told us the date they have tickets and since it's a scheduled c-section could we not do it on that day. She then laughed really awkwardly and said she was just kidding. It was clear she was not.

They have size too all over the place. Not crazy size but enough. They are playing so well together early on. Quick decision making everywhere which is something I want to see Syracuse do more if possible. No more of a forward (Moyer/Roberson) getting the ball, waiting, then taking a couple of dribbles, then dribbling back towards the 3pt line, hand back off to a guard, rinse’n repeat...ugh.

Bagley reminds me of a super athletic Zack Randolph.

That Duke team has insane talent but they aren’t cohensive and can play lazy for extended minutes each game.
What's scary is that watching just for a few minutes you get the sense that a 15-point deficit is nothing to them. Can turn it on when they need to. Only possible chink in the armor is their typical defensive lapses. Florida guards were blowing by their initial defender quite often at will throughout the game.

What's scary is that watching just for a few minutes you get the sense that a 15-point deficit is nothing to them. Can turn it on when they need to. Only possible chink in the armor is their typical defensive lapses. Florida guards were blowing by their initial defender quite often at will throughout the game.

I think Florida is that good where they kill everyone not Duke/KU/MSU. But, good points. They are making up these deficits SO quickly. Same in Texas game. Made up double digits in a couple of minutes and blink of an eye.

I think Florida is that good where they kill everyone not Duke/KU/MSU. But, good points. They are making up these deficits SO quickly. Same in Texas game. Made up double digits in a couple of minutes and blink of an eye.
Regarding Texas game I blame Texas for that. They are a team that shots 20% from 3 and all of the sudden start chucking up 3's.

I actually thought of you as I was writing it. Also I thought of you over Thanksgiving because we are having a baby in March and apparently Hamilton is coming to Seattle. My mother in front of my wife told us the date they have tickets and since it's a scheduled c-section could we not do it on that day. She then laughed really awkwardly and said she was just kidding. It was clear she was not.
Having tickets to see Hamilton is NOTHING to joke around about!

(Congrats about the baby! Very sweet song in Hamilton sung by Burr and Hamilton about their new babies. “You stole my heart. And I thought I was so smart.”)

Bagley is a beast in and around the paint. Away from the paint or behind the arc, he's not particularly scary though. He's not a great ball handler and his outside shot needs a little work. I've heared comparisons to elite 3's of the past, like Melo, but he hasn't rounded out his game away from the hoop enough to play the 3 or get those comparisons yet, imo. The elite 3's he's been compared to were more complete players at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bagley is a beast in and around the paint. Away from the paint or behind the arc, he's not particularly scary though. He's not a great ball handler and his outside shot needs a little work. He's a dominant I've g
heared comparisons to elite 3's of the past, like Melo, but he hasn't rounded out his game away from the hoop enough to play the 3 or get those comparisons yet, imo. The elite 3's he's been compared to were more complete players at this stage.

Yeah, I don’t see a 3. Not sure who has been touting him as a 3. He seems like a SUPER skilled and athletic true PF. Can do a little of everything. Handle is good enough but, yes, more of a inside the arc player which is fine.

getting the ball, waiting, then taking a couple of dribbles, then dribbling back towards the 3pt line, hand back off to a guard
Ugh. My pet peeve during the Robey years. Complete waste of the shot clock. Gladly, I think we're done with that. We actually have two pretty goid decision makers in Oshae and Marek. And I believe MM just needs time to figure out how he fits in.

Bagley is a beast in and around the paint. Away from the paint or behind the arc, he's not particularly scary though. He's not a great ball handler and his outside shot needs a little work. He's a dominant I've g
heared comparisons to elite 3's of the past, like Melo, but he hasn't rounded out his game away from the hoop enough to play the 3 or get those comparisons yet, imo. The elite 3's he's been compared to were more complete players at this stage.
agree but he's (much) better around the basket than those elite 3s

It seems it was more than just rooting for Duke that caused the temporary dislike. Is there a third choice of entertainment? Gun to my head, I'd rather watch a c-section than Hamilton.

Yeah, I don’t see a 3. Not sure who has been touting him as a 3. He seems like a SUPER skilled and athletic true PF. Can do a little of everything. Handle is good enough but, yes, more of a inside the arc player which is fine.

Yeah, I don't think people are calling him a 3, it's just that those are the guys he's getting compared to mostly. Guys like Melo, Durant, Beasley. I think the fact that they're all technically Forwards gets them lumped together, but those three are a different breed than Bagley. He could probably get by at the 5 for a bit, so I just think the comparisons should skew towards guys like Bosh or Anthony Davis, etc. He could ultimately have a similar impact as those guy, just in a different way, which might be what those comparisons are getting at.

A team with Coach K and Grayson Allen is impossible to like... no matter who else is one the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom