This is a PC problem. | Syracusefan.com

This is a PC problem.

mantonio

Starter
I realize Marrone meant well when he talked about the importance of being a "student" athlete, but i think it's far too esoteric as a concept to work in major college athletics.
Let's be realistic, many of the athletes on the field are not brought up in a college education mindset, they are trained to be athletes above all else, & those are the players who primarily succeed at the highest levels in sports.

there are the occasional scholars who excell in football, but that is the exception, & not the rule.

Marrone needs to dispense with the politically correct platitudes, & do it like it needs to be done. College football has become semi-pro, & it needs to be treated accordingly.

Let's get the best athletes & tell them they will be ushered through college with less emphasis on academics, because that's what they want if they are to bring their talents to the hill.

I don't CARE what the best coaches say, they are not really pressuring their star players to be better in the classroom.

I realize Marrone meant well when he talked about the importance of being a "student" athlete, but i think it's far too esoteric as a concept to work in major college athletics.
Let's be realistic, many of the athletes on the field are not brought up in a college education mindset, they are trained to be athletes above all else, & those are the players who primarily succeed at the highest levels in sports.

there are the occasional scholars who excell in football, but that is the exception, & not the rule.

Marrone needs to dispense with the politically correct platitudes, & do it like it needs to be done. College football has become semi-pro, & it needs to be treated accordingly.

Let's get the best athletes & tell them they will be ushered through college with less emphasis on academics, because that's what they want if they are to bring their talents to the hill.

I don't CARE what the best coaches say, they are not really pressuring their star players to be better in the classroom.
Funny...Stanford doesn't have any problem doing both...

Stanford is very famous for grade inflation. I know this from a few of my professors in college, & many of the so called student athletes on that team are more likelynot as smart or studious as they would have you believe. So big deal, Stanford puts a few token scholars on the squad, & all of the sudden they are a "smart" team that is able to win?

That's a joke.

Actually, Stanford is 'very famous' for being the smart team that's able to win.

For a minute there I thought you were gonna suggest paying the players, or bribing them with hookers and blow.

Thank heavens you're only suggesting academic fraud. I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of SU Alumni who earned their degrees without cheating won't mind a bit.

For a minute there I thought you were gonna suggest paying the players, or bribing them with hookers and blow.

Thank heavens you're only suggesting academic fraud. I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of SU Alumni earned their degrees without cheating won't mind a bit.

"academic Fraud"

LOL !!!!

Major College sports IS academic fraud, in general. Don't tell me a majority of the best players in America are remotely interested in academic pursuits...

Actually, Stanford is 'very famous' for being the smart team that's able to win.

Because YOU said so?

Can you prove that team has smarter players who are athletically gifted?

That is what the media portrays, but it's not necessarily the truth.

Look what the media has done to prop up the Obama administration. He is a joke as a president, but we are supposed to believe it's not his fault we are still in a terrible economy.

We are told by ESPN that Jim Boeheim is liable for his assistant's alleged bad behavior...

Don't take everything you are told at face value...

No, it's a coaching and talent problem. Hey at least we suck at everything, consistency has to count for something.

lol at Mantonio for preaching reality over fantasy. Dude is the most delusional person in the history of message boards, yes that means more so than RutgersAl.

Because YOU said so?

Look what the media has done to prop up the Obama administration. He is a joke as a president, but we are supposed to believe it's not his fault we are still in a terrible economy.

We are told by ESPN that Jim Boeheim is liable for his assistant's alleged bad behavior...

The media has propped Obama, bot you watch a different media than I do. They've given him nothing IMO.

lol at Mantonio for preaching reality over fantasy. Dude is the most delusional person in the history of message boards, yes that means more so than RutgersAl.

OH REALLY?

Don't compare me to RutgersAl.

Syracuse has ALREADY had MUCH success, tradition, National Championship, been to many Bowl Games, Major Bowls, Had many winning seasons, & done everything I think they can do again.

When I speak optimistically, it is NOT fantasy when we have already been there many times in the past. It is REALITY, my friend.

RutgersAl Has NOTHING to go on, because his program has been only decent for about 5 minutes in the college football world...

Because YOU said so?

You're right - crazy me was all sucked in by the pro-Obama, pro-Stanford media machine.

I've purchased a copy of your album and will spend some time listening to it and shooting guns off the deck while I digest the facts you've slapped down on me.

Thanks for lifting me out of ignorance.

OH REALLY?

Don't compare me to RutgersAl.

Syracuse has ALREADY had MUCH success, tradition, National Championship, been to many Bowl Games, Major Bowls, Had many winning seasons, & done everything I think they can do again.

When I speak optimistically, it is NOT fantasy when we have already been there many times in the past. It is REALITY, my friend.

RutgersAl Has NOTHING to go on, because his program has been only decent for about 5 minutes in the college football world...

Take your foolish opinions elsewhere

Nobody cares what SUCCESS we had in the PAST. What we did in the PAST has nothing to do with what we do in the FUTURE. YOUR a JOKE.

Interesting. People have been telling me Mac was the issue all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody cares what SUCCESS we had in the PAST. What we did in the PAST has nothing to do with what we do in the FUTURE. YOUR a JOKE.

If you were right about what you are saying, then what's the point of using history to predict future success? Wall Street does it, The Sports Books do it, EVERY EXPERT DOES IT.

Every good program has had down time, & they have all improved back to greatness. Oklahoma was pretty down in the 90's, as was USC, & Texas.

Other programs have had very little success ever, so it's tough to say they will ever be good, like Rutgers...

My assessments are more REALISTIC than your pessimism.

If you were right about what you are saying, then what's the point of using history to predict future success? Wall Street does it, The Sports Books do it, EVERY EXPERT DOES IT.

Every good program has had down time, & they have all improved back to greatness. Oklahoma was pretty down in the 90's, as was USC, & Texas.

Other programs have had very little success ever, so it's tough to say they will ever be good, like Rutgers...

My assessments are more REALISTIC than your pessimism.
Comparing us to Oklahoma, Texas, and USC is flat out stupid. Who cares about Rutgers and why do you insist on always bringing them up? I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. You live on cloud 9.

Comparing us to Oklahoma, Texas, and USC is flat out stupid. Who cares about Rutgers and why do you insist on always bringing them up? I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. You live on cloud 9.

The point IS, Syracuse has a long tradition of success, & it is REASONABLE to expect them to return to that tradition, just as other programs have been able to do. I never said they were just as good as those programs I mentioned, but Syracuse has enjoyed success nonetheless.

Your argument doesn't fit with standard expert assessments, so why do you insist upon attacking my assertions?

The point IS, Syracuse has a long tradition of success, & it is REASONABLE to expect them to return to that tradition, just as other programs have been able to do. I never said they were just as good as those programs I mentioned, but Syracuse has enjoyed success nonetheless.

Your argument doesn't fit with standard expert assessments, so why do you insist upon attacking my assertions?
This isn't 1987. College football is a completely different animal than it was. Whatever mild success we once had does nothing for us moving forward--nobody cares. Until we decide that we want to play big boy football and hire big boy coaches, we'll continue to be a dull program. We're woefully lacking in talent and our coaching staff isn't much better. That's our problem.

Until we decide that we want to play big boy football and hire big boy coaches, we'll continue to be a dull program. We're woefully lacking in talent and our coaching staff isn't much better. That's our problem.

I completely agree.

This isn't 1987. College football is a completely different animal than it was. Whatever mild success we once had does nothing for us moving forward--nobody cares. Until we decide that we want to play big boy football and hire big boy coaches, we'll continue to be a dull program. We're woefully lacking in talent and our coaching staff isn't much better. That's our problem.

That is a serious charge against Marrone & the program. I don't believe the coaching is bad, the program needs an infusion of infrastructure to compete with the "big boys"

That is a serious charge against Marrone & the program. I don't believe the coaching is bad, the program needs an infusion of infrastructure to compete with the "big boys"
Proof is in the pudding. I'd love for Doug to shut me up and prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom