This is for Russ DeRemer (and for every other SU walk-on EVER)... | Syracusefan.com

This is for Russ DeRemer (and for every other SU walk-on EVER)...

cto

Administrator
Tonight is Senior Night at the Dome.

Russ is our only senior walk-on (Nolan Hart has had a scholarship for a few years).

Russ has been a walk-on for four years. He has worked just as hard as any scholarship player in practice (where he is essentially cannon fodder for the scholarship players as they are put through their drills).

Along the way he graduated in three years with a 3.95 GPA in finance from the Whitman School. He is now completing a graduate degree at Newhouse ... where he is a straight A student. He has done this with all the practice requirements... and road trips...of every other player

He's played all of four minutes this year in mop-up time ... with zero points, zero rebounds and zero assists. He was, however, a member of the Big East All-Academc team for three years, and has been the Athletic Department's scholar-athlete of the week several times.

Right now, he is juggling job interviews with several prestigious corporations.. while practicing and traveling with the team.

I cannot be at the game tonight. I hope all those who are there... cheer for Russ during the "senior ceremony" and let him know how much we appreciate him ... and EVERY walk-on who's ever played here.

Last edited:
Russ is our only senior walk-on (Nolan Hart has had a scholarship for a few years).

Russ has been a walk-on for four years. He has worked just as hard as any scholarship player in practice (where he was essentially cannon fodder for the scholarship players as they were put through their drills).

Along the way he graduated in three years with a 3.95 GPA in finance at the Whitman School. He is now completing a graduate degree at Newhouse ... where he is a straight A student. He has done this with all the practice requirements... and all the road trips...of every other player

He's played all of four minutes this year in mop-up time ... with zero points, zero rebounds and zero assists. He was, however, a member of the Big East All-Academc team for three years, and has been the Athletic Department's scholar-athlete of the week several times.

Right now, he is juggling job interviews with several prestigious corporations.. while traveling with the team.

I cannot be at the game tonight. I hope those who are there... cheer for Russ during the "senior ceremony" and let him know how much we appreciate him ... and EVERY walk-on who's ever played here.
Thank you for sharing this. Great post.

Russ has been a walk-on for four years. He has worked just as hard as any scholarship player in practice (where he was essentially cannon fodder for the scholarship players as they were put through their drills).

Along the way he graduated in three years with a 3.95 GPA in finance from the Whitman School. He is now completing a graduate degree at Newhouse ... where he is a straight A student. He has done this with all the practice requirements... and road trips...of every other player

Right now, he is juggling job interviews with several prestigious corporations.. while practicing and traveling with the team.

I cannot be at the game tonight. I hope those who are there... cheer for Russ during the "senior ceremony" and let him know how much we appreciate him ... and EVERY walk-on who's ever played here.

Absolutely.
I guess here's my honest question for anyone who has any insight.
How much does Coach Boeheim appreciate his walk-ons (and end of the bench players, scholarship or not)?
Do they have his ear when they need something?
Always been curious about the head coach/walk-on relationship.
I know there's a hierarchy of sorts between players-assistants-head coach on any team (as in any "business")... but how does it specifically apply to our team?

I only reward people that display bad behavior and never notice those like this Russ character that you speak of. Let me know if he allegedly hurts someone, steals something or has been arrested so I can say it is a fact and then I'll be more than willing to do a story on him.

Thanks for your time and keep digging for dirt: Outside the lines.

Seriously though...people like Russ need to be talked about more often, not less.

3.95 undergrad GPA? Graduate degree? Big East All-Academic team? Scholar Athlete of the Week?

Yea, yea...those are all pretty good. But let's not forget his GREATEST achievement...

In October 2012 Russ completed the Frittata Challenge at Mother's Cupboard on James Street! 6 pounds of pepperoni, sausage, eggs, broccoli, onions, peppers and home fries.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2012/10/syracuse_walk-on_russ_deremer.html

;)

Perfectly stated.

I barely made it through engineering school in four years, and that was barely squeaking out a 3.0 and doing nothing other than sleeping, eating tacos and ramen, and playing video games.

I can't fathom the time, dedication, and commitment he and every other walk-on put in at our beloved SU.

Absolutely. It's no joke the time commitment that is involved and to do it for the love of the game. Over the years Syracuse has had a nice run of walk-ons that have really distinguished themselves and represented themselves, their families and the university proud. Best of luck to Russ and Nolan and the other walk-ons in the future.

Absolutely.
I guess here's my honest question for anyone who has any insight.
How much does Coach Boeheim appreciate his walk-ons (and end of the bench players, scholarship or not)?
Do they have his ear when they need something?
Always been curious about the head coach/walk-on relationship.
I know there's a hierarchy of sorts between players-assistants-head coach on any team (as in any "business")... but how does it specifically apply to our team?

The coaches very much appreciate the work of the walk-ons. They more than anyone recognize the commitment these kids make to the success of the team. They are included in all team events and receive the same treatment as the scholarship players when the team is on the road. JB is not the most touchy-feely guy in the world, but I know he cares about them.

Last edited:
The coaches very much appreciate the work of the walk-ons. They more than anyone recognize the commitment these kids make to the success of the team. They are included in all team events and receive the same treatment as the scholarship players when the team is on the road. JB is not the most touchy-feely guy in the world, but I know he cares about them.
In addition, I think a lot of it also goes to his career start as a player, which was as a walk-on himself. He knows first-hand how hard it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
During the November/December games, I just can't get my head around why anyone would leave the Dome early. Walk-on time is the absolute best part of those games. I lose my mind when one of them scores.