This is what happens when Duke is sent outside of Greensboro | Syracusefan.com

This is what happens when Duke is sent outside of Greensboro

CuyahogaCuse

2nd String
I am impressed with the massive Louisville throng in Indy. Big time road game for Duke. The Cardinals crowd is very loud.

Well i dont know about that given coach Ks record, but one thing I know is that rat-face has been pissed all game and now looks ready to erupt.

After a rare break, they'll back at home the next two years, with Raleigh and Charlotte hosting games in 2014 and 2015 respectively.

Has anybody checked Duke's record in the NCAA when they play outside of Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta? Do they in fact advance farther when they do or is it preception?

I am impressed with the massive Louisville throng in Indy. Big time road game for Duke. The Cardinals crowd is very loud.
Don't b to impresses. Louisville is an hour and a half away.

Has anybody checked Duke's record in the NCAA when they play outside of Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta? Do they in fact advance farther when they do or is it preception?
It would be difficult to determine how much the site influences the outcome. If they play close to home in a regional, it's probably because they've had a dominant season and are a 1 seed anyway.

I'm sure if the had tourney sites in Rochester and Utica every year Syracuse fans would be the first to right that grave injustice.

It would be difficult to determine how much the site influences the outcome. If they play close to home in a regional, it's probably because they've had a dominant season and are a 1 seed anyway.
Since the top 4 seeds are supposed to be protected (except SU this year!), they could be any of those and still get a Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta venue. And they could get one of those site even without being a high seed, again just look at SU's pod this year. Then there are the time before the pod system. The answer is out there if one has the time to research it.

Since the top 4 seeds are supposed to be protected (except SU this year!), they could be any of those and still get a Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta venue. And they could get one of those site even without being a high seed, again just look at SU's pod this year. Then there are the time before the pod system. The answer is out there if one has the time to research it.
Yeah, I'm sure a stat geek could find a formula for determining how influence a close to home site has. I'd be curious to know (and am to lazy to look up) how many times Duke played in greensboro as anything less than a 2 seed, and their success compared to them playing as a 1 or 2 seed anywhere else.

I'm sure if the had tourney sites in Rochester and Utica every year Syracuse fans would be the first to right that grave injustice.

I guess we'll find out when the tourney is in either Rochester or Utica on an annual basis.

too lazy to go back beyond the Coach K era
No pod system years
1984 West #3, 1st round bye, 2nd round lost to #6 Washington. Game was played in Salt Lake City, UT or Pullman, WA
1985 Midwest #3, beat #14 Pepperdine, lost to #11 Boston College. Game was in South Bend, IN or Dayton, OH
1986 East #1 subregionals Greensboro, NC regionals East Rutherford, NJ. Lost title game to Louisville in Dallas, TX
1987 Midwest #5 subregionals Indianapolis, IN lost to #1 Indiana. regionals played in Cincinnati, OH
1988 East #2 subregionals Chapel Hill, NC regionals East Rutherford, NJ. Lost to #6 Kansas in Final Four played in Kansas City, MO
1989 East #2 subregionals Greensboro, NC regionals East Rutherford, NJ. Lost to #3 Seton Hall in Final Four played in Seattle, WA
1990 East #3 subregionals Atlanta, GA regionals East Rutherford, NJ. Lost to #1 UNLV in title game played in Denver, CO
1991 Midwest #2 subregionals Minneapolis, MN regionals Pontiac, MI Won title vs. Kansas, Final Four was in Indianapolis, IN
1992 East #1 subregionals Greensboro, NC regionals Philadelphia, PA Won title vs. Michigan. FF was in Minneapolis, MN
1993 Midwest #3 lost to #6 California in 2nd round played in Rosemont, IL
1994 Southeast #2 subregionals St. Petersburg, FL or Lexington, KY regionals Knoxville, TN. Lost title game to #1 Arkansas in Charlotte, NC
1995 Coach K's "back issues"
1996 Southeast #8 Lost to #9 Eastern Michigan. Game played in Indianapolis, IN
1997 Southeast #2 Lost to #10 Providence in 2nd round. Game played in Charlotte, NC
1998 South #1 subregionals Lexington, KY, lost to #2 Kentucky. regionals played in St. Petersburg, FL
1999 East #1 subregionals Charlotte, NC regionals East Rutherford, NJ. Lost title game to #1 storz in St. Petersburg, FL
2000 East #1 subregionals Winston Salem, NC lost to #5 Florida, regionals played in Syracuse, NY
2001 East #1 subregionals Greensboro, NC regionals Philadelphia, PA won title vs. Arizona. FF played in Minneapolis, MN
Pod system years
2002 South #1 subregionals Greenville, SC, lost to #5 Indiana. regionals played in Lexington, KY
2003 West #3 subregionals Salt Lake City, UT, lost to #2 Kansas. regionals played in Anaheim, CA
2004 Atlanta #1 subregionals Raleigh, NC regionals Atlanta, GA. lost to #2 storz in Final Four played in San Antonio, TX
2005 Austin #1 subregionals Charlotte, NC lost to #5 Michigan St. regionals played in Austin, TX
2006 Atlanta #1 subregionals Greensboro, NC, lost to #4 LSU. regionals played in Atlanta, GA
2007 West #6 lost to #11 VCU. game played in Buffalo, NY
2008 West #2 lost to #7 West Virginia in 2nd round. Game played in Washington, D.C.
2009 East #2 subregionals Greensboro, NC, lost to #3 Villanova, game played in Boston, MA
2010 South #1 subregionals Jacksonville, FL regionals Houston, TX won title vs. Butler, game played in Indianapolis, IN
2011 West #1 subregionals Charlotte, NC, lost to #5 Arizona. game played in Anaheim, CA
2012 South #2 lost to #15 Lehigh. game played in Greensboro, NC
2013 Midwest #2 subregionals Philadelphia, PA. Lost to #1 Louisville, game played in Indianapolis, IN

As much as Duke plays in North Carolina, two of their biggest upsets happened there as well. I find it funny that they played multiple times in Lexington after the epic 1992 win over Kentucky. Those games were probably the most hostile crowds Duke ever faced in the tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom