This is Who We Can Be | Syracusefan.com

This is Who We Can Be

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Yes, it was Holy Cross, but many guys on the team made a major improvement in this game, and it seems like chemistry is starting to develop. I thought the rotations were great tonight. We didn't just pull guys after four minutes; we gave each group about six minutes per stretch, and carrying over Lydon to give him extended minutes to get his game going was a very good move, chemistry wise for this team.

We can debate this and that about who plays what position, but just consider tonight's production by position:

Center: Coleman & Chukwu: We got 11 rebounds, 1 point, 3 blocks and an assist from the center spot.

PF: Thompson & Roberson: 10-14 shooting, 22 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal

SF: Just Lydon (for our purposes tonight): 17 pts, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 2-3 from three

SG: White & Battle - 28 points, 8-15 from three, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals (What !!! - Vintage Kobe)

PG: Gillon & Frankie: 20 points, 3-5 from three, 12 assists, 2 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block and only 2 turnovers!! (What II)

Look at that production per position. It's off the hook! This team really showed what it can do tonight and everybody contributed. Thompson made a big jump tonight. Paschal is getting so much better so fast. Frank is really showing with the lights on what he showed people this summer in pick up ball. Gillon is like Billy Edelin with those spins high off the backboard, mixed with Jimmy Williams, he is so fast and so quick into the lane. Holy cow this team is impressing.

Last edited:
Yes, it was Holy Cross, but many guys on the team made a major improvement in this game, and it seems like chemistry is starting to develop. I thought the rotations were great tonight. We didn't just pull guys after four minutes; we gave each group about six minutes per stretch, and carrying over Lydon to give him extended minutes to get his game going was a very good move, chemistry wise for this team.

We can debate this and that about who plays what position, but just consider tonight's production by position:

Center: Coleman & Chukwu: We got 11 rebounds, 1 point, 3 blocks and an assist from the center spot.

PF: Thompson & Roberson: 10-14 shooting, 22 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal

SF: Just Lydon (for our purposes tonight): 17 pts, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 2-3 from three

SG: White & Battle - 28 points, 8-15 from three, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals (What !!! - Vintage Kobe)

PG: Gillon & Frankie: 20 points, 3-5 from three, 12 assists, 2 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block and only 2 turnovers!! (What II)

Look at that production per position. It's off the hook! This team really showed what it can do tonight and everybody contributed. Thompson made a big jump tonight. Paschal is getting to much better so fast. Frank is really showing with the lights on what he showed people this summer in pick up ball. Gillon is like Billy Edelin with those spins high off the backboard, mixed with Jimmy Williams, he is so fast and so quick into the lane. Holy cow this team is impressing.
One of the most impressive wins by a Syracuse team. Was kind of surprised they didn't run an out of bounds play for Chukwu or at least try and set him up on the offensive end.

Look at that production per position. It's off the hook! This team really showed what it can do tonight and everybody contributed. Thompson made a big jump tonight. Paschal is getting to much better so fast. Frank is really showing with the lights on what he showed people this summer in pick up ball. Gillon is like Billy Edelin with those spins high off the backboard, mixed with Jimmy Williams, he is so fast and so quick into the lane. Holy cow this team is impressing.
Our backcourt is absolutely stacked!! All four are capable of putting it in the hoop, and the PGs are fantastic distributors.

Our backcourt is absolutely stacked!! All four are capable of putting it in the hoop, and the PGs are fantastic distributors.

Yes, we showed every aspect of our game tonight. That was something.

Agree with everything said prior to my post. I remain very optimistic about this year.

I also liked White much better when he was at the 3 and Battle at the 2. I said it before the other day but no more ulcers this year of scoring in the 50s/60s constantly! LOTS of weapons and answers this season.

Last edited:
I'm not one to make over-the-top statements in November, but I truly think this is a Top 5 SU roster of the Boeheim era.
It's early, but I don't think that's an over-the-top statement one bit. When was the last time we were this good 1-9? Every single player one this team brings something to the court and fit together perfectly.

Really good post, IM. Thanks for breaking it out by position, great idea.

This team has 7 guys who can score and score in a variety of ways. I don't think I have seen a JB team with this many skilled players. They have the potential for a special season.

However, I wouldn't pencil them into the Final 4 just yet. They have a long way to go on D. I also think we will struggle to defend skilled bigs inside. I'm afraid that PC is not going to be the answer. He doesn't move well to my eye, and plays weak.

Lydon is going to play a lot of minutes at the 5 when we start playing the big boys on the schedule.

I really like Gillon...

Really good post, IM. Thanks for breaking it out by position, great idea.

This team has 7 guys who can score and score in a variety of ways. I don't think I have seen a JB team with this many skilled players. They have the potential for a special season.

However, I wouldn't pencil them into the Final 4 just yet. They have a long way to go on D. I also think we will struggle to defend skilled bigs inside. I'm afraid that PC is not going to be the answer. He doesn't move well to my eye, and plays weak.

Lydon is going to play a lot of minutes at the 5 when we start playing the big boys on the schedule.

I really like Gillon...

Good post. We will be really good all year but the kryptonite COULD be a team like a Purdue in the Tourney. Haas and Swanigan inside would be a big problem for our bigs.

Reactions: 007
Other than walk-ons, I don't ever remember JB subbing in 4 guys at the same time like he did once tonight in the middle of a game. Oh what depth allows you to do!

we also are a terrible rebounding team, our D has at times been HS level. Not sure what we have for an inside game until we play real bigs but we when we shoot we will give teams a ton of issues.

Yes, it was Holy Cross, but many guys on the team made a major improvement in this game, and it seems like chemistry is starting to develop ... Holy cow this team is impressing.

Thanks for this post, Matt. I had a work obligation tonight so I missed the game. I'm amazed at how little action there is on the board tonight. It's early in the season, and it's a cupcake game, so I get it.

Since I didn't see the game I've got nothing to go on, but what jumps out immediately is the number 90. How many times have we scored 90 points in the last decade? Not very often. This game would have been 74-49 last year, and for any number of years before. This is a different team, and what a welcome. We can score.

Now the question is: Can we play defense against good teams? That will determine how far we can go.

we also are a terrible rebounding team, our D has at times been HS level. Not sure what we have for an inside game until we play real bigs but we when we shoot we will give teams a ton of issues.

They shot 31% from the field and we outrebounded them 39-27.

Thanks for this post, Matt. I had a work obligation tonight so I missed the game. I'm amazed at how little action there is on the board tonight. It's early in the season, and it's a cupcake game, so I get it.

Since I didn't see the game I've got nothing to go on, but what jumps out immediately is the number 90. How many times have we scored 90 points in the last decade? Not very often. This game would have been 74-49 last year, and for any number of years before. This is a different team, and what a welcome. We can score.

Now the question is: Can we play defense against good teams? That will determine how far we can go.

I think last years score would have been closer, not sure we win by 20.

You nailed it though, we haven't had an offensive team like this in a long long time. It's nice to watch this team score at will. We haven't had this many options on a team in a long time if ever.

I think they are quickly getter better.

I'd like to see how playing against a team that plays very good defense will effect our offense. That will show us just how good (or not) our offense is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom