This is why 4 year players like Scoop, Triche, Arinze, Andy, CJ are critical | Syracusefan.com

This is why 4 year players like Scoop, Triche, Arinze, Andy, CJ are critical

Cuseball

Starter
These are players who are very good but not quite the type that have the NBA drooling. Everyone here will critique them for what they can't do. However, unless you follow the Kentucky model you absolutely need these solid veterans to supplement your team. They bring leadership, stability and grit and are essential pieces of young and talented rosters. They are not the best players but they are often the most important pieces.

I put Cooney in this category because he will be here two more years and, despite areas where he needs to improve, he will be the veteran leader who helps mold together the revolving door of young talent on the Cuse roster. Hopefully both of those years he gets to play with Joseph, Roberson and McCullough. If he does then you probably will not see much of a dip from our recent run of success.

Go Cuse!

These are players who are very good but not quite the type that have the NBA drooling. Everyone here will critique them for what they can't do. However, unless you follow the Kentucky model you absolutely need these solid veterans to supplement your team. They bring leadership, stability and grit and are essential pieces of young and talented rosters. They are not the best players but they are often the most important pieces.

I put Cooney in this category because he will be here two more years and, despite areas where he needs to improve, he will be the veteran leader who helps mold together the revolving door of young talent on the Cuse roster. Hopefully both of those years he gets to play with Joseph, Roberson and McCullough. If he does then you probably will not see much of a dip from our recent run of success.

Go Cuse!

The guys that are leaving aren't 1 and 2 year players, hence the problem.

Exactly. When did we become Memphis?

It's one thing when legitimate one- and two-year talents leave early. When a decent college player or a project leaves after a year or two, something is wrong.

Exactly. When did we become Memphis?

It's one thing when legitimate one- and two-year talents leave early. When a decent college player or a project leaves after a year or two, something is wrong.
It's called the siren song of the NBA and NBA dollars... and people giving them bad advice. Poor Donte Greene, our poster boy. He listened to the people from Baltimore who thought they would get rich off of him. No kid here ever loved the college experience more than Donte. Remember him playing drums in SSS at women's games? Remember him attending women's games and cheering for the Orange? Remember him returning to SU every time his NBA team played in NYC? If there was ever a kid who should have stayed ....

It's called the siren song of the NBA and NBA dollars... and people giving them bad advice. Poor Donte Greene, our poster boy. He listened to the people from Baltimore who thought they would get rich off of him. No kid here ever loved the college experience more than Donte. Remember him playing drums in SSS at women's games? Remember him attending women's games and cheering for the Orange? Remember him returning to SU every time his NBA team played in NYC? If there was ever a kid who should have stayed ...

Yeah. There's no doubt that Donte was an enthusiastic member of the SU community (I remember when he came back and played with the SSS at the Georgetown game during what would have been his sophomore year). And he was one of the first high-profile basketball players I remember attending a lot of events - lacrosse games, etc.

It's all sad. The almighty dollar means too much to many people (including, it seems, the majority of posters here).

We are a farm team that has moved up to AAA from AA.

We would all have preferred if Donte had stayed and continued to entertain us. And yes, he would have had a great time over the next 3 years as CTO has so well stated. His NBA career has not been too spectacular, so you guys are suggesting he made a mistake.

2009-10 $870,000
2010-11 $930,000
2011-12 $1,680,000
2012-13 $1,680,000
2013-14 $1,027,000
2014-15 $ ?

I don't think so!

orange2win said:
We would all have preferred if Donte had stayed and continued to entertain us. And yes, he would have had a great time over the next 3 years as CTO has so well stated. His NBA career has not been too spectacular, so you guys are suggesting he made a mistake. 2009-10 $870,000 2010-11 $930,000 2011-12 $1,680,000 2012-13 $1,680,000 2013-14 $1,027,000 2014-15 $ ? I don't think so!

I have never seen Donte play an NBA game. What team does he play for?

when you get top 10 recruiting classes every year this should be expected. we are no different then Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio St, Uconn, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana, etc etc etc. we aren't special this happens everywhere. the only really good program who seems to have a lot of 3 and 4 years guys is Louisville, and that's just because of the small guards they recruit because of the style they play. And even still they lose Harrel this year.

Go Cuse!

I think the mind-boggling thing, at least for me, is that Ennis and Grant as gifted as they are do not scream NBA must have players. I take Gmac over Ennis as Freshman no questions asked. Hakim Warrick and Grant are comparable and one guy stayed the full four years. It used to be you had an idea of who was ready and you could appreciate them moving on. Carmelo dominated and had NBA moves while winning a championship as a Freshman. You get a beast like Waiters and a lessor extent MCW who had NBA body types to translate. Now we have guys like Ennis and Grant who were at times pushed around at the collegiate level stepping up to the man version of the sport. Oh well.

Right now I would settle for 2 or 3 years, I can't think of another program where more kids left for the draft who weren't ready to go.

I think the mind-boggling thing, at least for me, is that Ennis and Grant as gifted as they are do not scream NBA must have players. I take Gmac over Ennis as Freshman no questions asked. Hakim Warrick and Grant are comparable and one guy stayed the full four years. It used to be you had an idea of who was ready and you could appreciate them moving on. Carmelo dominated and had NBA moves while winning a championship as a Freshman. You get a beast like Waiters and a lessor extent MCW who had NBA body types to translate. Now we have guys like Ennis and Grant who were at times pushed around at the collegiate level stepping up to the man version of the sport. Oh well.

the same people have MCW pegged for the D-League. The whole draft has flaws.

Right now I would settle for 2 or 3 years, I can't think of another program where more kids left for the draft who weren't ready to go.

then you don't pay much attention to college hoops.

Are Zach Lavine and Kyle Anderson for UCLA more ready then Ennis and Grant.

Take a look at the early entry list in 2 weeks and you will be seeing names and asking who the hell are they

I have never seen Donte play an NBA game. What team does he play for?
Last he was heard of, he was playing in New Zealand this fall...after he was released by the Celtics after 30 days on their roster.

I generally think a player should take the money if he has a good shot at a guaranteed contract, so I didn't have a problem with Donte leaving. On the other hand, there are definitely some that would benefit from staying in college an additional year. The problem is that one can't determine what will happen in another year: one might get injured, or have a Marcus (not so) Smart type season, or your potential peters out and you are ignored as not being good enough. Too hard to predict - take your shot when you have it (not you Omar!).

I saw Donte play once against the Golden State Warriors (can anyone say Golden State 49ers?). Donte would lolligag down the court on a change of possession and soon after crossing the half court line, he would raise his hand to get the ball. Lots of times, he won't get the ball, but when he did, he would immediately hoist up a 3pter, not often to good effect. Then he would lolligag back on defense. It was bad enough to be a fan watching this, but I thought that I would be mad as hell if I was an owner giving this guy $6 mio over 5 yrs. What a complete waste of money. To be fair to Donte, there were 3, 4, or 5 others on the court doing similar things. With his devotion to excellence, I think there is a good chance that another year at SU would only have hurt Donte's earning power.

We would all have preferred if Donte had stayed and continued to entertain us. And yes, he would have had a great time over the next 3 years as CTO has so well stated. His NBA career has not been too spectacular, so you guys are suggesting he made a mistake.

2009-10 $870,000
2010-11 $930,000
2011-12 $1,680,000
2012-13 $1,680,000
2013-14 $1,027,000
2014-15 $ ?

I don't think so!

Last he was heard of, he was playing in New Zealand this fall...after he was released by the Celtics after 30 days on their roster.

I believe he is playing in China for $500K.