This isn't mine, but JAB has the most | Syracusefan.com

This isn't mine, but JAB has the most

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
wins of any men's coach who never coached at Army.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

All at one school in one of the best bball conferences. That is what many seem to miss although Bobby Knight didn't when they had him on ESPNN last night. He also said JB had the best most consistent approach to defense and getting his players to play defense, even better than himself of K.

If Uconn had no men's basketball team I would be sad and have to Puck Fitt.

i also saw that if 1 shot didn't go in, JB and BK would both have 901 wins and 2 titles.
Wow, I never thought of it that way...but that really does kind of put into perspective how much that one shot changed things (in terms of legacy). JB has always been viewed as a bit of an underachiever, while Knight has always been deified, and one shot is literally the only difference between the two.

Wow, I never thought of it that way...but that really does kind of put into perspective how much that one shot changed things (in terms of legacy). JB has always been viewed as a bit of an underachiever, while Knight has always been deified, and one shot is literally the only difference between the two.

Ive said this forever. Its hard to win a title. People put Dean Smith on a pedestal. He won 2 NC's and it took the 2 flukiest plays in the history of college basketball post season to get him those titles. All those loaded, great teams he had and if Fred Brown doesnt throw the ball to James Worthy and if Chris Webber does not call time out he would have been blanked.

One other thing I don't quite understand is Jimmy's reputation, which is what I think a lot of people hold against him. He's ly, sarcastic, and just generally doesn't seem to care for the media, and that's held against him. Well, NO ONE has ever despised the media quite like Knight, yet he's beloved despite being flat out abrasive rather than just generally snarky like JB. What the hell is the difference?

One other thing I don't quite understand is Jimmy's reputation, which is what I think a lot of people hold against him. He's ly, sarcastic, and just generally doesn't seem to care for the local media, and that's held against him. Well, NO ONE has ever despised the media quite like Knight, yet he's beloved despite being flat out abrasive rather than just generally snarky like JB. What the hell is the difference?

fixed it for you

Its very hard to win the whole thing. The best thing you can do is keep putting yourself in possition. Think of all the teams that got bounced early in the last 3-4 torneys that people had in the FF. JB has one one and was right there in position to win another, he coached well enough but we missed the front end and then they made the play. The other one I really felt like we were the team that made the miracle run to get there. I never thought we would be in that game against that loaded UK team. STill amazing run by those guys because we were right there until Wallace fouled out. Then of course we have had two really good teams go in without our starting centers in the last 3 years.

it's not just "one shot," though.

you know I love JB and I think he is the best there is . . . but his greatest mistake as a coach was conceding the rebound to Indiana and allowing them the chance to set up their offense to get them that shot.

here's the sequence:

SU with a three point lead. Triche misses the front end of a one-and-one, Smart gets the board and races downcourt for a quick layup to cut the lead to one.

Coleman gets fouled. JB, fearful of a repeat dash by Smart, pulls all his guys off the line, conceding the rebound to Indiana. Coleman misses and Indian gets to run a full offensive set . . . and we all know the rest.

I think that was a panic move by JB. He denies it to this very day (or at least a couple years ago, the last time I heard him discuss it) and says his mistake was not conceding the board on Triche's free throws, too. That's his classic stubbornness (and defensiveness), but he even if you allow him his point, then he still blew the game with his coaching decision.

you know I love JB and I think he is the best there is . . . but his greatest mistake as a coach was conceding the rebound to Indiana and allowing them the chance to set up their offense to get them that shot.

here's the sequence:

SU with a three point lead. Triche misses the front end of a one-and-one, Smart gets the board and races downcourt for a quick layup to cut the lead to one.

Coleman gets fouled. JB, fearful of a repeat dash by Smart, pulls all his guys off the line, conceding the rebound to Indiana. Coleman misses and Indian gets to run a full offensive set . . . and we all know the rest.

I think that was a panic move by JB. He denies it to this very day (or at least a couple years ago, the last time I heard him discuss it) and says his mistake was not conceding the board on Triche's free throws, too. That's his classic stubbornness (and defensiveness), but he even if you allow him his point, then he still blew the game with his coaching decision.

Ugh...I just started getting the shakes reliving that game in my mind.

here's the sequence:

Not to be picky, but I think the Triche miss was the back end of a one and one. It was tied at 70 and Triche made a basket to put us up 2, 72-70, IU missed, Triche rebounded and got fouled and made the first making it 73-70, missed the second and then your timeline begins.

If one shot didn't go in JB could have had much better talent between 1991-92 through 2001-02 and maybe 1000 wins by now.

The rule that came a few years later that stops the clock on made baskets in the last minute would have come in handy.

was he sent to south east asia?

"During his military service, he coached service teams and served for two years as head coach at the U.S. Military Academy Prep School at Belvoir, Virginia."

Seems like all he did in the military was coach. Where the hell was that job when I signed up? lol

"During his military service, he coached service teams and served for two years as head coach at the U.S. Military Academy Prep School at Belvoir, Virginia."

Seems like all he did in the military was coach. Where the hell was that job when I signed up? lol
garbage, if we were sending draftee's. volunteers should partake. If this offends you, not my intent, you're my hero(and I mean that).

garbage, if we were sending draftee's. volunteers should partake. If this offends you, not my intent, you're my hero(and I mean that).

I agree with you, and I'm pretty sure most volunteers did.. I didnt go to West Point, but I know some guys that have. They talk about the brotherhood there. Most are still best friends with their West Point classmates. I couldnt imagine watching my brothers deploy while I went to VA to coach a little basketball. In K's defense, we dont know if he had options here or not, I just know I wouldnt have let it happen to me.

I agree with you, and I'm pretty sure most volunteers did.. I didnt go to West Point, but I know some guys that have. They talk about the brotherhood there. Most are still best friends with their West Point classmates. I couldnt imagine watching my brothers deploy while I went to VA to coach a little basketball. In K's defense, we dont know if he had options here or not, I just know I wouldnt have let it happen to me.
i feel you man. I wonder how many people on that team went to Vietnam.

Ive said this forever. Its hard to win a title. People put Dean Smith on a pedestal. He won 2 NC's and it took the 2 flukiest plays in the history of college basketball post season to get him those titles. All those loaded, great teams he had and if Fred Brown doesnt throw the ball to James Worthy and if Chris Webber does not call time out he would have been blanked.

I'm still not convinced that Carolina Mafia didn't somehow arrange both of those fluke plays. Anyone check Fred Brown or Chris Webber's bank accounts immediately after those games?

here's the sequence:

Everyone always thinks of the Smart shot when they think of that game, I have always and will forever think of missed free throws when I think of that game. The game was won, if we had made them.
Syracuse led 72-70 when Dean Garrett pulled off a rebound of a driving try to Douglas with 1:30 to go. At 1:21, Smart drove the baseline and used the rim to protect him from 6-10 Rony Seikaly as his reverse layup tied the game.

Howard Triche of Syracuse powered through the middle for a shot that rolled in at 0:57 for a 72-70 Syracuse lead. Smart went to work on the baseline again - but missed. Triche rebounding for Syracuse and getting fouled immediately.

Triche hit his first for a 73-70 lead, then missed the second. Seconds earlier, the Orangemen missed a free throw but got the ball back when 6-9 freshman Derrick Coleman reached up and over the 6-10 Garrett for Coleman's 19th rebound of the night. On Triche's miss, the ball hovered head-high in the middle of a grabbing pack, but it was Smart - from the No. 3 rebounding spot - who leaped in to grab the ball, spun out of the traffic and drove to a basket that cut the Syracuse lead to 73-72 as Indiana took timeout at 0:30.

As soon as the Orange got a pass inbounds, Smart fouled the man with the ball - Coleman.
The Smart rebound and one-man fast break made an impression on Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim. As Coleman went to the free-throw line at 0:27, Boeheim moved all his players into the backcourt, conceding any rebound.

"If I made a mistake," Boeheim said later, "I made it on the earlier free throws. We should have kept guys back then. Maybe they couldn't have gotten Smart's transition basket. We had the lead. We weren't worried about scoring more points. We had enough points to win."

But Coleman missed, Daryl Thomas fielded the ball for Indiana, and the Hoosiers came upcourt - a shot away from a national championship.