This just in, college basketball in 2015 is unwatchable | Syracusefan.com

This just in, college basketball in 2015 is unwatchable

I enjoy cbb... but I feel the one and done kids are doing a real injustice to the game... In addition, these "kids" can no longer shoot a 12-14 footer, foul shot or in many instances, make a lay-up... It's either 3ball or dunk... Now, I admit, I love seeing the three and an awesome dunk from time to time, but the game is dying a slow, slow death with the lack of basic fundamentals being practiced anymore... Give me the kids who want to stay and play 3 or 4 years over the super-star 5star AA who leaves after his first year, who doesn't attend classes and who has no desire to further his education...

I enjoy cbb... but I feel the one and done kids are doing a real injustice to the game... In addition, these "kids" can no longer shoot a 12-14 footer, foul shot or in many instances, make a lay-up... It's either 3ball or dunk... Now, I admit, I love seeing the three and an awesome dunk from time to time, but the game is dying a slow, slow death with the lack of basic fundamentals being practiced anymore... Give me the kids who want to stay and play 3 or 4 years over the super-star 5star AA who leaves after his first year, who doesn't attend classes and who has no desire to further his education...
Bank shots, midrange jumpers, and bounce passes are lost arts. Everyone wants to go one on one. Ball movement is a thing of the past.

Say what you will about Duke, but I've always appreciated the way they play because they actually, ya know, MOVE the ball. Hell, last year when we lost to UVA, I was so incredibly envious of how well the Hoos moved the rock.

here ya by and large but that UConn cincy game was pretty good to watch. Either of those teams takes us to the wood shed I'd have to think.

Thankfully I live near UVa, and thus have the ability to see good ball movement on the regular... Duke has been a well coached team for years now... JB at SU also does well in instructing his team on the basics... yes, on occasion there will be difficult times, kids who think they are "the man" and try to usurp the ideology or principles good and great head coaches use, but they will either learn or flee... But I've always enjoyed watching JB keep his kids in school and in class... and his game plan still works to this day, for the most part...

Not sure if there is enough one and done's to be the big reason to bring down the play to where it has. Remember that other than about a dozen schools, the one and done is pretty much a foreign concept for the majority of power conference teams.

flipping through, these scores are ridiculous.
Boy you said it. Clutch-and-grab defense, stall ball, incompetent officiating .. it's tough to watch sometimes. And don't even get me started on the whole academic farse/NBA pass-through going on at the nation's #1 "college" team.

Last edited:

Agreed. A huge contributor is that at the minor level too many coaches - community ball, Jr Hi & HS, etc, - coach systems with which to win games rather than skills for players to play with. I see too many kids who can't even stop without running into someone who are being taught full court zone trap presses, which they play for the entire freaking game, up or down 20. Ten kids all chasing the ball at breakneck speed, like they think their heads are on fire and the ball is water. Too often it's a Chinese fire drill, not basketball. Half court offense? WTH is that? Not one kid among them knows what LGP is, probably because so few coaches do, either.

Another problem is societal: too many kids have too many other things to also do - read: distractions. Growing up in CNY, I remember shoveling off outdoor courts so we could play hoops, and would for hours. Now it seems kids don't play unless there's an organized team and a league to play in - read: win games, not learn how to play. So, in goes the press and press break at the expense of pass, pivot, dribble, shoot, etc. They develop no real playing instincts, and on the chance that they actually do get the ball in their hands for more than a few seconds, they either fumble it out of bounds, bash it off the backboard, or look immediately for the one kid on the team who actually can play some.

Last edited:
Not sure if there is enough one and done's to be the big reason to bring down the play to where it has. Remember that other than about a dozen schools, the one and done is pretty much a foreign concept for the majority of power conference teams.

Fair enough, but it's still adequate to support the NBA year after year and sustain the dream.

Last edited:
Apparently shooting is not an important part of the game anymore. But hey, everyone can dunk.

I had the golf channell on all day. I also watch golf over the NFL so I'm strange. This has been the first year tho that I have watched this little college basketball. I'm sure I'll get back into it soon.

Not always true.

Signed, the Badgers.

Still the no. 1 movie in Wisconsin ...

White_men_cant_jump.jpg

Bank shots, midrange jumpers, and bounce passes are lost arts. Everyone wants to go one on one. Ball movement is a thing of the past.

Say what you will about Duke, but I've always appreciated the way they play because they actually, ya know, MOVE the ball. Hell, last year when we lost to UVA, I was so incredibly envious of how well the Hoos moved the rock.
For some reason, there a few wahoos who post here. And, yup, Tony Bennett's teams are always good.

Worked at UVAs basketball camps over the summer and watched them prwctice and learned their offense. Coach Bennett has a great system. The circle motion is so hard to guard with good combo guards that can shoot it. Always watch uva play

The problem with the one and dones... is the trickle-down effect. If five kids didn't leave UK early every year, that means five incoming kids would have to have gone elsewhere. Over the course of 4 years.. that is 20 kids. Similarly, if Flynn, Dion, MCW, Ennis, Grant, etc., hadn't left early, some kids who came here would have to have gone elsewhere.

The trickle down effect from the one and dones (and the other early departures) are a major reason for the decline in quality of play in CBB. It is not just the one and dones themslves

Last edited:
The problem with the one and dones... is the trickle-down effect. If five kids didn't leave UK early every year, that means five incoming kids would have to have gone elsewhere. Over the course of 4 years.. that is 20 kids. Similarly, if Flynn, Dion, MCW, Ennis, Grant, etc., hadn't left early, some kids who came here would have to have gone elsewhere.

The trickle down effect from the one and dones (and the other early departures) are a major reason for the decline in quality of play in CBB. It's not just the one and dones themselves.

Captain obvious?

flipping through, these scores are ridiculous.

I don't even watch anymore, other than Cuse.

I've watched parts of a couple Kentucky games(to see if their NBA prospects are legit), maybe half of a Duke game(to see Okafor), and had UConn-Florida on as background noise for a little while. Other than that, I haven't tuned in at all.

I don't even watch anymore, other than Cuse.

I've watched parts of a couple Kentucky games(to see if their NBA prospects are legit), maybe half of a Duke game(to see Okafor), and had UConn-Florida on as background noise for a little while. Other than that, I haven't tuned in at all.
I'm with you too.

Give me college football over college b-ball, outside of SU, any day of the week.

I'm with you too.

Give me college football over college b-ball, outside of SU, any day of the week.

I'll watch random college football, NFL, NBA, and MLB games still. Not college hoops though. And college hoops used to be my #1 favorite sport by far, where for years I would know the starting 5 at the very least, of pretty much any good team from a power conference. I miss that, but I can't even watch and enjoy it anymore. The Cuse-Duke game at the Dome last year was a huge anomaly.