This old classic on on Youtube 1983 Syracuse vs. Georgetown at the Dome. | Syracusefan.com

This old classic on on Youtube 1983 Syracuse vs. Georgetown at the Dome.

Alsacs

Living Legend
Len Berman and Bill Raftery on the call.
Sad ending but man this game is well played. Its weird seeing the benches on the other side of floor.
Some much talent. Without the 3 point line as well.

I loved when they would show the starting lineup introductions on tv.
That crowd was unreal. Players couldn't even hear the whistles at times.
The pace and energy to the game was awesome.

i recently watched one from 85(I think), with possibly the longest time to the 4 minute TV time out in history. I dont want to say why, because I dont want to spoil anything. Suffice it to say, the fans were FAR, FAR more energetic back then than they are now. It reminds me of the old videos of girls screaming insanely at Beatles concerts. Can you Imagine the Dome being anything like that today? That was before my time, and I still know when people deserve a tip of the hat. In my opinion, words do not adequately convey what the crowd put out back then.

Will we ever see that again? Or have we on occasion?

i recently watched one from 85(I think), with possibly the longest time to the 4 minute TV time out in history. I dont want to say why, because I dont want to spoil anything. Suffice it to say, the fans were FAR, FAR more energetic back then than they are now. It reminds me of the old videos of girls screaming insanely at Beatles concerts. Can you Imagine the Dome being anything like that today? That was before my time, and I still know when people deserve a tip of the hat. In my opinion, words do not adequately convey what the crowd put out back then.

That was before everyone had cell phones, which is also why we'll likely never again see that type of atmosphere.

That was before everyone had cell phones, which is also why we'll likely never again see that type of atmosphere.

I wonder...could the Dome ever host an event where cell phones are... ... not permitted? Im serious. Im not sure about enforcement, but horizontal(peer) control, like the establishment employs in real life, might be part of the answer. Maybe a discount. Who knows, but the methodology isnt the point. "We're gonna find out where you fans really stand!"

I think even before cell phones there was a noticeable drop, but I think you're right that that was the final nail in the coffin.

That brings up an interesting(to me, at least) thought. We've heard the discussion about the Dome vs smaller venues in regards to atmosphere, but it would be interesting to know how that difference may have shifted from the Dome's beginning until now. I believe in miracles(although I think that word is a misnomer, and they are not unnatural), so I really hope the bolded part is wrong.

I encourage folks to see if they can get to the first media timeout. This is built up lile WWF wrestling!!! And stuff happens(I dont want to spoil it) that you wont see at games these days. I think the word EPIC is deserving of that atmosphere!

Good point. It's amazing to me how many people will have their phones out recording potential big moments. That would completely take me out of the moment. And will you really be watching your crappy cell phone videos again? Is sending your video to people or putting it in social media to prove you were there a bigger thrill than actually experiencing it and being part of it?

It would never enter my mind to take my cell phone out at a key part of a game to "capture the footage".

The Dome atmosphere for big games in those days was incredible but had nothing at all on Manley in terms of home court advantage.

Dude,have you gone to a game this year? An easy argument could be made for the Cuse fans as the MVP of this years team. Even in our NIT game Sat.
The fans were awesome this year.

Dude,have you gone to a game this year? An easy argument could be made for the Cuse fans as the MVP of this years team. Even in our NIT game Sat.
The fans were awesome this year.

I think our fans are good. But the Dome used to have more of an "anything can happen" feel. The students had better seats and were louder. Just listen to them in the starting lineup introductions here. Watch the first few possessions. It's no comparison IMO.

Also, I miss the "you! you! you!" chant when an opponent got a foul.

Len Berman and Bill Raftery on the call.
Sad ending but man this game is well played. Its weird seeing the benches on the other side of floor.
Some much talent. Without the 3 point line as well.
I remember Sean Kerins getting flattened by Ewing in that game.

Good point. It's amazing to me how many people will have their phones out recording potential big moments. That would completely take me out of the moment. And will you really be watching your crappy cell phone videos again? Is sending your video to people or putting it in social media to prove you were there a bigger thrill than actually experiencing it and being part of it?

It would never enter my mind to take my cell phone out at a key part of a game to "capture the footage".

I notice it also at church when little kids are singing. The parents are so busy recording on their phone, they seem to miss the whole thing live.

I think our fans are good. But the Dome used to have more of an "anything can happen" feel. The students had better seats and were louder. Just listen to them in the starting lineup introductions here. Watch the first few possessions. It's no comparison IMO.

Also, I miss the "you! you! you!" chant when an opponent got a foul.

I miss every chant.

Underrated funny thing about the NIT game: they didn't give the cheerleaders a microphone for that idiotic "Let's go SU" cheer. So the cheerleaders had to actually yell into their megaphones. Can't remember the last time they did an actual chant or cheer.

I wonder...could the Dome ever host an event where cell phones are... ... not permitted? Im serious. Im not sure about enforcement, but horizontal(peer) control, like the establishment employs in real life, might be part of the answer. Maybe a discount. Who knows, but the methodology isnt the point. "We're gonna find out where you fans really stand!"

I think even before cell phones there was a noticeable drop, but I think you're right that that was the final nail in the coffin.

That brings up an interesting(to me, at least) thought. We've heard the discussion about the Dome vs smaller venues in regards to atmosphere, but it would be interesting to know how that difference may have shifted from the Dome's beginning until now. I believe in miracles(although I think that word is a misnomer, and they are not unnatural), so I really hope the bolded part is wrong.

I encourage folks to see if they can get to the first media timeout. This is built up lile WWF wrestling!!! And stuff happens(I dont want to spoil it) that you wont see at games these days. I think the word EPIC is deserving of that atmosphere!

That stretch at about 46:30 where Seikaly tips in a missed shot followed by Pearl's steal and layup - the commentators didn't even bother trying to talk for like 30-45 seconds. Awesome.

My first Dome game

Couldn't agree more. During stoppages as well. I guess I can somewhat understand checking your phone during media timeouts but it amazes me how many people check it after EVERY whistle or even during foul shots. I see many stare at their phones while the ball is in play & only look up when the crowd roars or boos. Wish we had a Dome full of "Towel Guys". Bring back the Dome Ranger or, & he was before my time but I've heard stories, "Dome Eddie", who was apparently just some nutso fanatic wearing an orange fright wig lol

Couldn't agree more. During stoppages as well. I guess I can somewhat understand checking your phone during media timeouts but it amazes me how many people check it after EVERY whistle or even during foul shots. I see many stare at their phones while the ball is in play & only look up when the crowd roars or boos. Wish we had a Dome full of "Towel Guys". Bring back the Dome Ranger or, & he was before my time but I've heard stories, "Dome Eddie", who was apparently just some nutso fanatic wearing an orange fright wig lol
My father has been attending games since Manley & one of his favorite stories to tell is the time in the late '80s he went to Shifty's after a tough loss & walked in to find The Dome Ranger & Dome Eddie sharing a table, each still in full costume...Eddie in his wig & the Ranger in his hat & eye mask. He said it was surreal, like something out of a cartoon strip...the place was packed & there they were, sitting alone in the corner, just the 2 of them, looking miserable as they drowned their sorrows. He describes it as what he imagines the characters at Disney World do when their shift is over.

My father has been attending games since Manley & one of his favorite stories to tell is the time in the late '80s he went to Shifty's after a tough loss & walked in to find The Dome Ranger & Dome Eddie sharing a table, each still in full costume...Eddie in his wig & the Ranger in his hat & eye mask. He said it was surreal, like something out of a cartoon strip...the place was packed & there they were, sitting alone in the corner, just the 2 of them, looking miserable as they drowned their sorrows. He describes it as what he imagines the characters at Disney World do when their shift is over.
They were probably waiting to hook up with the Dome Knitter.

They were probably waiting to hook up with the Dome Knitter.
She was the best. They'd always show her during televised games. Finding her in the crowd was always a highlight of my early Dome trips.

#1-John Wallace
#1B-The Dome Knitter

Awesome. LOL.

I remember when they brought the Dome Ranger back for the Villanova game in 2010 when we broke the attendance record. He got quite a bit of airtime before the game.

Awesome. LOL.

I remember when they brought the Dome Ranger back for the Villanova game in 2010 when we broke the attendance record. He got quite a bit of airtime before the game.
I recall seeing him on the big screen. The Dome went nuts. I turned to my father & asked "maybe they'll bring back Dome Eddie?". He looked at me, completely deadpan, & replied "oh, there's no way he's not in jail" lol. Good thread, great memories.