This should get some folks here excited | Syracusefan.com

This should get some folks here excited

GoSU96

Living Legend
http://falk.syr.edu/Feature/SportAnalyticsDegree.aspx

Adds Nick Carparelli, Jr., Senior Director, College Sports, UNDER ARMOUR® who sits on Falk College's Sport Management Advisory Board,"the process of making sound business choices always starts with investigation and research. Effectively analyzing data, whether it be information about purchase intent from our consumers or a marketing evaluation on a prospective partner, is a critical next step in any decision making process. The amount of data and information available to us continues to grow, and the ability to process and understand that information is a necessary skill set in our industry."

http://falk.syr.edu/Feature/SportAnalyticsDegree.aspx

Adds Nick Carparelli, Jr., Senior Director, College Sports, UNDER ARMOUR® who sits on Falk College's Sport Management Advisory Board,"the process of making sound business choices always starts with investigation and research. Effectively analyzing data, whether it be information about purchase intent from our consumers or a marketing evaluation on a prospective partner, is a critical next step in any decision making process. The amount of data and information available to us continues to grow, and the ability to process and understand that information is a necessary skill set in our industry."
i don't like it, actually. better to learn this stuff in a generic way and apply it to a game if you're lucky enough to get that job.

they're going to take a lot of money from sports nerds and there aren't going to be that many good jobs around for them

i don't like it, actually. better to learn this stuff in a generic way and apply it to a game if you're lucky enough to get that job.

they're going to take a lot of money from sports nerds and there aren't going to be that many good jobs around for them

Very interesting topic, but why limit yourself as mentioned above. They should invest in a general data analytics undergrad as many Universities do and add a focus, or concentration, in sports analytics.

It's about innovating and becoming the best Sports Management program in the country. As someone with a Falk degree, I'm happy to see this offered, as I have a few friends and former classmates that this is perfect for.

It's about innovating and becoming the best Sports Management program in the country. As someone with a Falk degree, I'm happy to see this offered, as I have a few friends and former classmates that this is perfect for.
I suppose if you're going to have that school, at least there might be some rigor here. I'm not crazy about that kind of specificity when there aren't many jobs - too many sports crazed kids might make a big mistake - I'm glad I didn't have the chance to make it myself

I'm sure lots of smart people do fine and they get value from it. I just worry about a lot of majors

Last edited:
Way too narrow of a degree for undergrad.

Better off getting a degree in mathematics, computer science or statistics. It will teach you the same thing with more academic rigor.

Better off getting a degree in mathematics, computer science or statistics. It will teach you the same thing with more academic rigor.
Exactly. Why not just get a stats degree which has a much broader application over various industries including sports? This is another aspect of universities just re-branding the same product. Smart for them, I don't know if it is good for the prospective students.

Very interesting. I hadn't heard about this. I'll have to send this article to my son. He's doing a dual degree but is also going to minor in sports management. This degree offering might add some courses he'd be interested in taking for his minor. It's right up his alley of interest.

thought this was going to be a bikini thread like we used to see daily in 2014...

agreed, when I originally heard about it from Veley he mentioned it would be a graduate program.