This Shouldn't Make Me Angry, But... | Syracusefan.com

This Shouldn't Make Me Angry, But...

mayselc

Scout Team
From SI article today discussing the championship potential of the Sweet 16. Guess who is last?

16. SYRACUSE (NO. 11 SEED, MIDWEST)
The Orange were fortunate to hear their name called on Selection Sunday, but head coach Jim Boeheim should be commended for lifting a young, thin squad with a punchless offense to three tournament wins, the most recent of which came over popular preseason national championship pick Michigan State. Syracuse would have had more upward mobility in a different quadrant of the bracket, but it had the misfortune of being placed in the same region as ACC competitor and No. 2 seed Duke. The Blue Devils shouldn’t have any issues picking apart the Orange’s zone, and good shots will be hard to come by for Syracuse against Duke’s own zone.

We were the last team selected for the tournament, and we’ve got to play one of the best teams that is left, so why wouldn’t we be last? No big deal. We’re huge underdogs again and rightfully so. That’s fine. In one game, anything can happen.

I get the take. Chalk says we'd have to beat Duke, Kansas, and then Villanova to get to the title game. That is a daunting slate to say the least. I actually think if we get past Duke we have a reasonable chance at the Final Four because Kansas got a performance that we won't give up again to beat us earlier and we have already beaten Clemson once. But there is no mystique for our team about Duke, which helps us. A team from another conference might have some of that, but we won't. Plus it's not like we haven't competed with/beaten them on a regular basis of late. Coach K is on another level as far as coaching ability compared to who we have already faced though.

If all goes chalk besides us and we actually pull off a miracle to win a title it means Boeheim will have beaten...

Jamie Dixon
Tom Izzo
Coach K
Bill Self
Jay Wright
Coach Cal or Beilein

I would have put our chances at last too given the road and the lack of depth/scoring.

But that's why we dance

From SI article today discussing the championship potential of the Sweet 16. Guess who is last?

16. SYRACUSE (NO. 11 SEED, MIDWEST)
The Orange were fortunate to hear their name called on Selection Sunday, but head coach Jim Boeheim should be commended for lifting a young, thin squad with a punchless offense to three tournament wins, the most recent of which came over popular preseason national championship pick Michigan State. Syracuse would have had more upward mobility in a different quadrant of the bracket, but it had the misfortune of being placed in the same region as ACC competitor and No. 2 seed Duke. The Blue Devils shouldn’t have any issues picking apart the Orange’s zone, and good shots will be hard to come by for Syracuse against Duke’s own zone.
Completely reasonable analysis.

If we beat Duke, it will mean our offense came to life ( at least more than it has). And the pundits takes will shift some in our favor.

All these dopey articles on re-seeding the tourney and then they base it mostly on the regular season record. Sure just ignore the tourney games. Brilliant.