This team has "it." | Syracusefan.com

This team has "it."

heresjohnny88

2nd String
Maybe I'm just a "glass half full guy"...but I look at these last two games as very positive developments for the team going forward. The Louisville win is something we NEVER should have to apologize for...so I'll move right on to this game. I thought Rutgers played very well, similar to how they played against Florida and UConn at home this year. But when we needed a basket, we got it. That to me is what REALLY makes a championship team. Can you score when you absolutely need to? The 2009-10 team had that quality until Arinze got hurt, the rotation was thrown out of whack, and against Butler we simply didn't make 1 play in the end. Last year, same story against Marquette. Tied in the final minute, with that ball, we couldn't hit the dagger.

But this team just feels different. Sure, we've blown out our fair share of teams. But in the really tight games (Florida, Stanford, Marquette, Cincy, WVU, Louisville, Rutgers)...when we absolutely needed a basket, we got one. When it seemed the opponent had hit a momentum-killer shot, we came right back and matched it. And that continued today at the RAC. Again, I thought Rutgers played an outstanding game offensively. But whenever it seemed they had all the momentum, we answered. Today it was Scoop/CJ (Scoop's final 2 shots in particular). Last Monday it was Triche's floater. I've been extremely impressed with our play in late-game situations. That, to me, it the ultimate "it" quality.

Some SU teams (2003) have it. And some (Paul Harris years) don't. Thus far, this team does. And it will be HUGE come March. They've played in tight games and they know how to win. We can nitpick all we want...but we need to take a step back and realize this is a pretty special team we're watching. For the first time I can remember, I was relaxed today during the final minutes. I knew we'd make a play. JB knew we'd make a play, too. And we did.

. For the first time I can remember, I was relaxed today during the final minutes. I knew we'd make a play. JB knew we'd make a play, too. And we did.
They referred to that during the game, it was like Scoops said, "Coach don't worry, we got it" I agree as nerve-wracking as it was, I never felt we did not have the control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom