This team wins the butler game | Syracusefan.com

This team wins the butler game

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
In 2010 we paniced when butler hit that 3 at the end of the shot clock to cut it to 1 with 3 minutes left or whatever it was. This team has been there done that, we wont be butler'd this year. Bring on the rock fights!

In all fairness, with AO, that teams rolls butler.

They didn't panic tonight. They didn't panic when Louisville took that 5 point lead late. They didn't panic when Gtown forced OT. I don't even think they panicked against ND.

Panic is the perfect word to describe what happened with Butler.

Agree with both of you, also I found it ironic that both of those Butler late threes were the classic BS shots that kill SU in the tourney. First one was there off guard I think who buried it wih 2 sec on the shot clock with a guy in his face and the second is the one that went 20 feet in the air and somehow magically went in. Really frustrating

In 2010 we paniced when butler hit that 3 at the end of the shot clock to cut it to 1 with 3 minutes left or whatever it was. This team has been there done that, we wont be butler'd this year. Bring on the rock fights! [/quote]

I would venture to quess that this Syracuse team has won more games scoring 60 or less than any other.

Agree with both of you, also I found it ironic that both of those Butler late threes were the classic BS shots that kill SU in the tourney. First one was there off guard I think who buried it wih 2 sec on the shot clock with a guy in his face and the second is the one that went 20 feet in the air and somehow magically went in. Really frustrating

Also right before the first 3, i think it was howard who literally body slammed kris jo on the baseline right in front of the ref with no call. That game still haunts me

Also right before the first 3, i think it was howard who literally body slammed kris jo on the baseline right in front of the ref with no call. That game still haunts me

I yelled obscenities after that no-call involving the referee and his anus that I didn't know were possible.

the matt howard suplex

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Agree. This is a better, tougher defensive team. Kris and Scoop are better players now especially in crunch time. But we will need to pitch a shutout the last 3 minutes because if JB goes stall (and he will) we probably don't score. I can't understand why he insists on doing that when he has the superior talent. Fewer possessions just allows the lesser team to make one or two plays and beat you. The more possessions and talent usually wins out.

They didn't panic tonight. They didn't panic when Louisville took that 5 point lead late. They didn't panic when Gtown forced OT. I don't even think they panicked against ND.

I think the team did panic against ND. But that loss ultimately did more good than harm.

Cheers,
Neil

Also right before that I think Butler called a TO with very little time on the shot clock so everyone who knew anything about college bball knew a 3 was coming yet Scoop or Rautins who ever was on him maybe Triche still gave the guy a step and of course he buried it. Unreal

the matt howard suplex

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Ah hated that guy AO would have owned him instead we had R Jackson playing his worst game of the year and howard caught every freeking break.

Agree. This is a better, tougher defensive team. Kris and Scoop are better players now especially in crunch time. But we will need to pitch a shutout the last 3 minutes because if JB goes stall (and he will) we probably don't score. I can't understand why he insists on doing that when he has the superior talent. Fewer possessions just allows the lesser team to make one or two plays and beat you. The more possessions and talent usually wins out.

No, I think the 09-10 was the better defensive team. I'll give Melo a slight edge over AO because of his shot blocking. The guards are even, while the 09-10 forwards get a big edge over the current group.

As for stall ball, it works. We haven't lost a game because of stall ball since the Pitt game when Flynn and Harris were on the team. (The Butler game wasn't stall ball.) People tend to remember the 1 time in 10 when it doesn't work as opposed to the 9 times out of 10 when it does. Just like the prevent defense in football.

Tonight was a perfect time for stall ball. We had a six-point lead and JB knew that USF would use up most of the shot clock on their end as well. When it reached the point where they had to speed things up, they turned it over. It was the right strategy.

I yelled obscenities after that no-call involving the referee and his anus that I didn't know were possible.

I will never forget that no-call, probably the most upset about one call I've ever been during a game. At least I think so considering how often I think about it. All the more maddening because the official is just standing there watching and ignoring it.

T'ing up Roberts against Vermont is up there as well.

In all fairness, with AO, that teams rolls butler.

Agreed. Plus did anyone think in February of 2010 that Rautins would be one of the guys to panic & jack up a bad shot? Maybe you could've predicted he'd hit a cheerleader in the head with an erroneous pass, but he was never the panicy type. March can be weird. :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom